Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #46
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Except there are two versions of eb100. The pocketbook have a processor twice more powerfull, and twice more ram the the Cybook. The firmeware might NEED that extra power to work properly.

Then the cybook not being exactly the same, it will requiers adding drivers for the few stuff that changes. (Well, that can be done all right)

Yeah, having more than one firmware to chose from would be nice, but i don't see that happening anytime soon, so don't hold your breath for it.
They (pocketbook) have firmware available for Orsio 721 ebook and it's model with 200 MHz processor. Not sure about memory, since there is no info on Orsio site.

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10647

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #47
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Except there are two versions of eb100. The pocketbook have a processor twice more powerfull, and twice more ram the the Cybook. The firmeware might NEED that extra power to work properly.

Then the cybook not being exactly the same, it will requiers adding drivers for the few stuff that changes. (Well, that can be done all right)

Yeah, having more than one firmware to chose from would be nice, but i don't see that happening anytime soon, so don't hold your breath for it.
Hey Eowyn, you have to catch up. There's only one version of EB100, the other one with twice the memory and doubled processor speed is called EB600. There are 2 versions of pocketbook firmware though, one for eb100 (pocketbook 301) and one for eb600 (pocketbook 301+). There's no need to optimize the fw for cybook, only change the installation process to make it work on cybook.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #48
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Hey Eowyn, you have to catch up. There's only one version of EB100, the other one with twice the memory and doubled processor speed is called EB600. There are 2 versions of pocketbook firmware though, one for eb100 (pocketbook 301) and one for eb600 (pocketbook 301+). There's no need to optimize the fw for cybook, only change the installation process to make it work on cybook.
Yeah, i looked for the 301+ specs. Should have guess there was a 301 somewhere.
And what usefull things that one would do the Cybook firmware don't anyway ?
Note typing ? the idea is ingenious for sure, but, i can't even type on my cell phone's keybord.
Epub ? -> That's coming for Cybook
Better pdf -> Same thing.
Folders -> Same again.
Fancy icones ? -> well, it's just fanciness.
Sudoku -> My DS does that better.

What's the hype about it hey ? And is there some 301+ only stuff ?

Well, if and when they realase a Cybook version, i'll probably try it, but not without making sure i can go back to the bookeen firmware.

The way you speak, it's like the bookeen firmware is total crap, while the pocketbook one is just wonderfully perfect. They are not that different.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-27-2009 at 12:44 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #49
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

@Eowyn
These are the things that pocketbook has and cybook doesn't (which probably won't be implemented even in the forthcoming update) and which I find very useful because they make the reader to an actual working tool, not just a leisure fiction reader:
  • search in the text
  • search in the dictionary
  • doc and rtf support
  • text highlighting and saving the selection (useful when proofreading)
  • note taking (proofreading, margin annotations, just two or three words, noone's gonna write novels with it)
  • better use of screen real estate (I really hope bookeen will implement customizable margins and optional header and footer in the new update)
For the other things you mentioned I couldn't care less.
Please note that I don't hold it against bookeen that gen3 doesn't have any of this. It wasn't advertised when I bought my cybook and I knew what I was getting for my money. If I want these functions, I have to buy another device, I get it.
Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter
The way you speak, it's like the bookeen firmware is total crap, while the pocketbook one is just wonderfully perfect. They are not that different.
Please, don't put words in my mouth, I never said that bookeen's fw is crap. It's a solid fw, even though it's a bit sparse on functions.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-27-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #50
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
* search in the text
* search in the dictionary
Mmm, ok

Quote:
* doc and rtf support
Haven't try the mobipocket converter for .doc and rtf. But i guess it would work

Quote:
* text highlighting and saving the selection (useful when proofreading)
* note taking (proofreading, margin annotations, just two or three words, noone's gonna write novels with it)
The Cybook will stay unable to do that in an enough effective way to be usable. If that if your need, go for an Irex. Writing more that that a few words is a pain unless you have a Keyboard (i mean PC keyboard), or a touch screen.

Quote:
* better use of screen real estate (I really hope bookeen will implement customizable margins and optional header and footer in the new update)
Well, i guess it can be done, but that never really bugged me.
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #51
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

@Eowyn
What are you, a kid, that you feel the urge to disprove everything I say? If you're perfectly happy with your cybook, it's fine with me. Good for you.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard

I'll rather not say anything, or it's going to turn into a fight and I don't want that.

Quote:
Please note that I don't hold it against bookeen that gen3 doesn't have any of this. It wasn't advertised when I bought my cybook and I knew what I was getting for my money. If I want these functions, I have to buy another device, I get it.
I don't know, the way you're speaking totally contradict what you're saying there. But then, maybe it's just some misunderstanding.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #53
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

You were right, you shouldn't have said anything.
But you just couldn't help yourself, could you?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard

wooo calm down !

I was just pointing out it was some misunderstanding,
Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #55
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

You have to understand, that nothing of what I said was meant in a bad way. I'm just trying to point out weak spots so they can be fixed. Isn't that what we all want, to have a better cybook?
However, cybook is not unmatched, the market is steadily growing and there's no way how it could avoid being compared with other devices, especially if they're based on the same hardware.
But you're right, let's be friends
Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #56
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
You have to understand, that nothing of what I said was meant in a bad way. I'm just trying to point out weak spots so they can be fixed. Isn't that what we all want, to have a better cybook?
However, cybook is not unmatched, the market is steadily growing and there's no way how it could avoid being compared with other devices, especially if they're based on the same hardware.
But you're right, let's be friends
Well, we just happened to have two different opinions. Because i didn't agree with you on that point didn't mean I have anything against you.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth noting that current CyBooks appear to be based on the Netronix EB600 hardware - ie 400MHz CPU, 32MB RAM (despite what the hardware spec on Bookeen's website says!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #58
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's perhaps worth noting that current CyBooks appear to be based on the Netronix EB600 hardware - ie 400MHz CPU, 32MB RAM (despite what the hardware spec on Bookeen's website says!).
Yeah, that got me wondering why bookeen didn't advertise them that way if that's the case ?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #59
mircea
mircea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Cybook Gen3
a hint

a hint on how to install the pocketbook firmware on the cybook?
mircea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #60
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
- Go to your local pocketbook retailer
- Take a Pocketbook box
- Go to the check point
- Get your credit card out
- Pay
- Go out, and
Tada ! you have a PocketBook firmware !
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote