Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #61
originalgabriel
originalgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your info box says you have a Generation 1 Paperwhite;
The filename of the install file says it is for the Generation 2 Paperwhite.

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
Bullet #4
Hmm, why state "It probably works on other devices" in the OP if there's not going to be any means to attempt to try and use it on other devices?

Oh well, back to square one.
originalgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgabriel View Post
Hmm, why state "It probably works on other devices" in the OP if there's not going to be any means to attempt to try and use it on other devices?

Oh well, back to square one.
It is being tested by NiLuJe on the Kindle Touch.

Anyone can open the install package with KindleTool and hand install the application for testing on other devices.
(Or open the install package with KindleTool and then re-create an install package by specifying the target device model to KindleTool.)

All of our update_*.bin files are "Model Locked" (just like Amazon's) and digitally signed (just like Amazon's) - -
Only it is the policy here to only configure the install packages for devices on which the application has been tested.

If you want to test this on a PW1 - go right ahead and join the testing effort.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
In fact, in that spirit, the .bin is currently specifically packaged for *one* model (out of >10): the author's.

On the other hand, this is a KUAL extension, it doesn't actually put anything outside of the userstore, so the bin is only just there as a familiar drag'n drop means of install.

Which mens you have a lot of possibilities:

• repack it with Kindletool
• clone the repo, edit the buildscript and rebuild the .bin
• extract the tarball from the bin with Kindletool and extract it manually in the extensions folder
• clone the repo, then push the KUAL extensions to your device (I'd go with scp -r librariansync root@kindle:/mnt/us/extensions on my setup, for example)

The choice is yours. (I'd go with one of the last two, since I'll always avoid a reboot if possible ;p).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-11-2014 at 11:24 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #64
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
@originalgabriel: I'm reluctant to release untested .bin packages for models I don't have. As was explained, you're more than welcome to try it by copying the librariansync folder in your extensions, from the git repo.
If you report it works successfully, I'll add a pw1 bin (I'll also have to do the same for the Touch).
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsanuphe View Post
@originalgabriel: I'm reluctant to release untested .bin packages for models I don't have. As was explained, you're more than welcome to try it by copying the librariansync folder in your extensions, from the git repo.
If you report it works successfully, I'll add a pw1 bin (I'll also have to do the same for the Touch).
A single package can be created that supports more than one device model in this "device family".
(Some of the older Kindle models do require device specific packages.)
NiLuJe is the one to answer any questions on that not covered in the KindleTool directions.

You probably will want to change the filename when you do that to something less specific than a single model.

- - - -

I wrote above: "the policy here" -
When it is actually: "the practice of the authors here".
My bad. Credit where credit is due (to the authors).

Visitors to this site can download a package and if it installs on their device, expect it to "just work".
Using "Model Locked" packages does not make much sense otherwise.

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #66
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

@knc1: That is precisely why I had only made a pw2 .bin, the only one I could guarantee would "just work".
In light of NiLuJe reporting it as working on a Touch, I guess it should be safe to make a --device kindle5 package.

Edit: done, see attachment. Could someone with a non-pw2 k5 try it before I put it on the front post?
Attached Files
File Type: gz librariansync-1.5.tar.gz (11.4 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by barsanuphe; 09-12-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #67
originalgabriel
originalgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation
Quote:
I see.

I'll give that new build you posted below a run when I get home, and report back.
originalgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I mentioned earlier (I think? ;p), I checked on FW 5.3.x, so that leaves 5.0.x to 5.2.x (inclusive), and 5.4.0 to test .
Old 09-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #69
barsanuphe
Connoisseur

I put v1.5 on the front post due to lack of complaints, which I choose to interpret as success.

On a sidenote, I added to librarian the ability to launch a temporary http server, hosting the library or a subset of it. From LibrarianSync, I added a new menu entry that connects to this server, downloads all ebooks, and updates the collections for the new books.
For now, on the LibrarianSync side, IP/port information is stored in an .ini file that needs to be edited beforehand.
My question is: is there a way to get input from KUAL or is there maybe a readymade input dialog, to get input from the Kindle, which would make it possible to modify this ini file on the go?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
My question is: is there a way to get input from KUAL or is there maybe a readymade input dialog, to get input from the Kindle, which would make it possible to modify this ini file on the go?
I know that USBNetwork and Screensavers both have KUAL menus that run a predefined list of things to do.
Since you can run any script bound to a menu entry, you can script something to read information from anywhere it might already be, and write it to wherever you want.
There is no input form, however.

If you need one, you will have to create a LibrarianSync GUI.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #71
barsanuphe
Connoisseur

I don't really need one, but I would have used an input form if available... Oh well.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Short answer: No

- - - -

It has been discussed before, perhaps for a future version of KUAL.
The biggest blocker is the K4 osk, such as it is.

kUal == Universal
Designed to work on everything **except** the K1 (firmware too old, resources too limited on the K1).

KUAL replaced a collection of various launchers for various models.
The people developing KUAL the last time an "input feature" was discussed where reluctant to make KUAL into a KuAL
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #73
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
barsanuphe
Don't work "Export collections".
Two json-files containing only "{}" is created...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
barsanuphe
Don't work "Export collections".
Two json-files containing only "{}" is created...
Are those "cloud" collections you are trying to export or "local" collections?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I don't remember hitting any issues with the export last time I checked, but that was on 5.3.x.

I'll try again .

Tags
kindle collections, librariansync