Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #91
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks for volunteering BelleZora! Your selections look very interesting and I love the Native American Indian theme. I would rather we had waited until the first to have the list posted but I understand the dilemma you had and think it was very nice of you to volunteer even though you'll be away these next few days.

The nominations BelleZora posted are the definitive group for February and we'll let them sit a few days until the first, when I'll post the poll for them (to keep on schedule so that any member who might not check for a poll until after the first won't miss it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Just to remind people these are the MR members that have been given the chance, or taken on the obligation, however one wishes to look at it , for picking Literary Club selections in the past:

fantasyfan December 2013

Bookpossum October 2013

sun surfer August 2013

issybird March 2012

hamlet53 November 2011

beppe June 2011

If I have missed any please inform me. There appear to be a number of people who regularly participate in some way—nominating, voting, or discussing—that do not appear on the above list.
Just to be clear, though you may already know it - the list was basically "restarted" (actually more like simply started) with the rotating months and any past lottery wins aren't included. So at the moment, a list would look more like this:

sun surfer August 2013
Bookpossum October 2013
fantasyfan December 2013
BelleZora February 2014

As such, fantasyfan had won a lottery month in 2012 I believe but was free to volunteer anytime he wanted in the rotating months, as he did in December. So you and issybird (and beppe, wherever under the sun beppe may be) can volunteer anytime you wish. I understand issybird's desire to wait until more people go who've never won a lottery month and who haven't volunteered for a rotating month yet, or who haven't even had a regular book nomination win a month yet, and think it's very gracious, though I'd be happy whenever issybird or you or any member volunteers since as long as we all eventually do it's all the same in the end no matter the order. I'll also add that anytime there's a request for a volunteer and more than a few days pass without a taker, I'd encourage any member big or small who hasn't volunteered for a rotating month yet that's considering it to go ahead and do so if they wish.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #92
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Hello All.

I'm not new to Mobileread, but I am new to the book clubs. I've simply been too busy the past few years to participate, but have wanted to for some time and, although still a busy person, the time seems good.

And it seems I stepped in at a good time. I've read a few of the books on this list already and many more in recent years from prominent Native Canadian writers such as Thompson Highway, Richard Wagamese and Joseph Boyden. I work in the field of Restorative Justice, which borrows many principles from aboriginal conflict resolution. That was my original motivation for investigating Native Canadian literature and now I just love it.

I'm very much looking forward to voting, to reading, discussing and learning from the insights of others.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #93
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Welcome, ccowie! New blood is great and I'm looking forward to benefiting from your specialized knowledge in turn.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #94
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll eliminate Love Medicine which I read decades ago but after that, I'm not sure yet how I'll narrow my choices. Wonderful list.
I've never read, or even hear of any of these except for the Life of Black Hawk. Never really read that either, I've just read passages and quotes from it in other books, articles, . . . . With two reservations of Ojibwe within in 100 miles of me (including one that is home to a favorite public radio station (http://www.wojb.org/) as well as several friends that are at least in part of Ojibwe descent Love Medicine has to get a vote from me. They all look so interesting though, with a real cross-section of Native American peoples.

Just something I encountered recently that may be of interest:

Interactive Native American Culture Map of North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thanks for volunteering BelleZora! Your selections look very interesting and I love the Native American Indian theme. I would rather we had waited until the first to have the list posted but I understand the dilemma you had and think it was very nice of you to volunteer even though you'll be away these next few days.

The nominations BelleZora posted are the definitive group for February and we'll let them sit a few days until the first, when I'll post the poll for them (to keep on schedule so that any member who might not check for a poll until after the first won't miss it).

Just to be clear, though you may already know it - the list was basically "restarted" (actually more like simply started) with the rotating months and any past lottery wins aren't included. So at the moment, a list would look more like this:

sun surfer August 2013
Bookpossum October 2013
fantasyfan December 2013
BelleZora February 2014

As such, fantasyfan had won a lottery month in 2012 I believe but was free to volunteer anytime he wanted in the rotating months, as he did in December. So you and issybird (and beppe, wherever under the sun beppe may be) can volunteer anytime you wish. I understand issybird's desire to wait until more people go who've never won a lottery month and who haven't volunteered for a rotating month yet, or who haven't even had a regular book nomination win a month yet, and think it's very gracious, though I'd be happy whenever issybird or you or any member volunteers since as long as we all eventually do it's all the same in the end no matter the order. I'll also add that anytime there's a request for a volunteer and more than a few days pass without a taker, I'd encourage any member big or small who hasn't volunteered for a rotating month yet that's considering it to go ahead and do so if they wish.

Thank you for the corrections and clarifications Sun Surfer. I hope you did not mind my post, I was just trying to get the party started. Actually if no one had stepped up by September 30 I was going to do so myself. I already had a theme selected. Another time then.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #95
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome ccowie and I hope you enjoy the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Thank you for the corrections and clarifications Sun Surfer. I hope you did not mind my post, I was just trying to get the party started. Actually if no one had stepped up by September 30 I was going to do so myself. I already had a theme selected. Another time then.
Oh no I didn't mind at all and am happy you helped to get the party started. On the contrary, I was worried that you might've thought you were ineligible from volunteering any month and that's why I responded.
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #96
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Welcome from me too, ccowie. I shall be interested to hear your perspective as we get into the discussion. There are many parallels between the experiences of Native Americans and Native Canadians with those of the Australian Aboriginal peoples.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #97
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Welcome from me too, ccowie. I shall be interested to hear your perspective as we get into the discussion. There are many parallels between the experiences of Native Americans and Native Canadians with those of the Australian Aboriginal peoples.
Let me add my welcome, too, and a big thank to Bellezora as I knew zilch about this up to now - great selection, will be a hard vote.

I will probably start late and hope to catch up, as I am having a hell of a time at work (three weeks of visitors everyday including social dinners, time for reading reduced to nothing at all!), but it will pass...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #98
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The February poll is now up! Which Native American/First Nation work will win the month?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #99
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
BelleZora, thank you for your selections! They all sound interesting, and I look forward to reading whatever wins the vote. It appears you are currently exploring southern Arizona. Hope you are enjoying this beautiful state and its diversity of climate and culture. Of course I'm biased in my opinion, living as I do in the Southwest! However, if your travels bring you towards central AZ, the Heard Museum of Native Cultures and Art in downtown Phoenix is outstanding.
http://www.heard.org/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #100
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm delighted to join the welcoming queue, ccowie!

Thanks, Bookworm_Girl. I visited the wonderful Heard Museum many years ago when I lived in Phoenix. The city is 10 x's larger now and I'm still trying to decide whether to brave it. Arizona is, indeed, beautiful.

I'm happy for the enthusiasm about this list. Every book and author is worth our attention.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #101
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Heard Museum sounds wonderful. Maybe one of these days I'll get back to the States. Last time (1999) we were in Phoenix but only very briefly, as we flew in and then joined a terrific tour of the canyons straight away, so no chance to explore Phoenix.

As we drove out of the city in the bus, we were slightly bemused to see Australian bottlebrushes growing as street trees! The right climate for them I suppose.

The list is such an interesting one, Belle - I'm just disappointed that I am struggling to get hold of a number of the books, but I'm working on it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #102
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm sorry that it is so difficult to find these books, Bookpossum. I actually started with a long list of books which were easily narrowed down when I couldn't find them in Australia. The final books chosen appeared to me to at least be available in print. The UK had better availability. I like issybird's solution.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #103
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Yep - I was certainly able to see a whole lot of books when I moved to Seattle. The trick will be whether it senses that my server is in Oz and gets difficult, but as others have talked about doing this, I don't think it should be a problem. After all, Kobo get money from me that they wouldn't get otherwise, the authors get their commission, and I get the book(s), so no-one is losing here.

I think I shall get myself The Inconvenient Indian even if it doesn't win - it sounds particularly interesting.

So no need to apologise - I'm delighted to learn about these new (to me) authors.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A trip to Mexico will save you a bit of money over Seattle. I also don't know if purchases from Washington State get charged sales tax; obviously your friend would know. Very nice that Inconvenient Indian is couponable! I shall buy it also in any case.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #105
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
My goodness - what a welcoming group. I think I'm going to enjoy this!

I read The Inconvenient Indian a few months ago and was able to get the epub from my local library. I'm interested in the Sherman Alexie book as well. He wrote a wonderful book called The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. My son read it when he was 11 and demanded that I read it. It's brilliant and heartbreaking.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote