Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
application launcher for kindle 3 (kite)

this thread has been deprecated.
the new version is available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168270

kite (no jailbreak)
Spoiler:

unzip kite-no-jailbreak.zip
move the correct .bin file to your device
unplug
=========================================
someone might want to turn this into a replacement for jailbreak.

alright, you can install kite without jailbreak. i only built it for the k3 versions.
i haven't tested them. someone might want to do that and let everyone know if they work.

let me credit all the people who worked on the jailbreak; i used your scripts.
::nods::

kite (usbnet)
Spoiler:

# tar xfz kite.tar.gz
# ./kite.sh
> reboot kindle
uninstall script will be in /mnt/us.

madness
Spoiler:

someone might want to write a manual and description.

(i'm just getting worse and worse at this.)

next time my sig may read "frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn."

bit of trivia: that is actually the number one movie line of all time.

he offends while he informs.

ugh... i convinced myself no one will know what the hell to do with it.

manual
Spoiler:

there will be a directory 'kite' on your kindle.

drop scripts, binaries, executables, whatever, into the directory
and you will be able to launch them from your home screen.

drop etc into kite/onboot to have things run at boot.
drop etc into kite/ondrop to have them run when you disconnect.

if you delete links from the home screen they will be moved to
kite/unused.
once scripts in kite/ondrop are run, they will be moved to kite/unused.

::gags on manual::

kite usbnetworking (no jailbreak)
Spoiler:

usbnet.sh.gz:
usbnetworking for kite (jailbreak not required, usbnet not required).

> plug in device
# gzip -d usbnet.sh.gz
# mv usbnet.sh /mnt/kindle/kite/ondrop
> unplug the device

usbnet will appear on your home screen.
run it to toggle usbnetworking.

this package uses xinetd for telnetd and rshd, not busybox.
it will open ports 514 (rsh), 23 (telnet), 2323 (alternate telnet)
2323 is open for compatibility with jailbreak-based usbnetworking.
xinetd will bind these services to the usb interface only, so you
cannot use then over wifi (unless you modify the config files).
rshd is included for rcp, an alternative to scp (less cpu intensive).
package also includes terminfo for xterm and bash.

to change the ip of your kindle, edit kite/config/usbipv4.
the default is 192.168.2.2.
you will need to bring up the usb0 interface on your local machine:
# ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
# telnet 192.168.2.2 23
# telnet 192.168.2.2 2323
# rcp /bin/true root@kindle:/tmp

uninstall is located in kite/uninst.
thanks to the original usbnet people for finding the module commands.
::nod::
xinetd source:
http://www.xinetd.org/xinetd-2.3.14.tar.gz
inetutils source:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/in...ils-1.8.tar.gz

extract script
Spoiler:

extract.txt:
a commented shell script to create a self-extracting archive.
use this as a template to create kite-based installers (kite/ondrop).
Attached Files
File Type: gz kite.tar.gz (21.9 KB, 1279 views)
File Type: gz kite-no-jailbreak.tar.gz (154.9 KB, 959 views)
File Type: zip kite-no-jailbreak.zip (163.9 KB, 698 views)
File Type: txt extract.txt (433 Bytes, 641 views)
File Type: gz usbnet.sh.gz (1.09 MB, 666 views)

Last edited by fbdev; 02-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

my favorite script

kite/usbnet

contents:
#!/bin/sh
usbnetwork

purpose:
toggle usb networking.

i also wrote one for kinamp.

if ya'll write ones, you might want to post them here.
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
welcome back
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't have a K3, but interested in seeing UI of kite. is it just add some lines in a list at home screen? could someone post screenshots?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
fbdev,
thank you kindly for this

"he offends while he informs."

None taken, & I doubt anyone will think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I don't have a K3, but interested in seeing UI of kite. is it just add some lines in a list at home screen? could someone post screenshots?
Well, you could look at fbdev's code?

There's a nice graphic of a kite on the boot screen, & the home screen simply shows what you've placed in the dir created by kite, just like the books.

I've just installed "bozohttpd" as described in another thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126128

Very handy tool, fbdev.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Well, you could look at fbdev's code?

There's a nice graphic of a kite on the boot screen, & the home screen simply shows what you've placed in the dir created by kite, just like the books
Am I missing something? There is only shell script with embedded binary in attached tarball. And no sources. And I have no K3. Do you want me to conceive look of kite UI by looking at binary code?

Anyway, thanks for descrption (not sarcasm).
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Confirmed function on K4NT too.
Excellent work, thanks.

eureka: If you open install script, you will see some bash commands and on the end is huge nonsense text. This text is actually binary code and when script is executed, this code is copied to new file.

Screenshot: here

It looks like PDF, but in fact it is sh script

Last edited by hostar; 01-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
eureka: If you open install script, you will see some bash commands and on the end is huge nonsense text. This text is actually binary code and when script is executed, this code is copied to new file.

Screenshot: here

It looks like PDF, but in fact it is sh script
I've researched a way in which kite install script works by myself (i.e. shell script with embedded binary). But I'm not interested in install script or tool by itself. I'm interested in how scripts (or executables etc.) are displayed on home screen and I haven't K3 (or K4NT) to run kite and see by myself. And OP's instructions could be interpreted as "kite will add some pretty custom stuff to home screen which is not like native Kindle interface". Now, I don't claim native Kindle interface as bad and I don't expecting something from kite. Just wanted to look at it's UI.

Thanks for screenshot. It's precisely what I've needed.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
fbdev
fbdev

has anyone had any problems with the non-jailbreak distribution?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Where is the source code? I like to examine things before I decide if I want to install them. I prefer to compile the source code myself, just to be sure. I do not want to brick my device.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
fbdev
fbdev

gzip'ed preprocessed gnu c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Where is the source code? I like to examine things before I decide if I want to install them. I prefer to compile the source code myself, just to be sure. I do not want to brick my device.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kite.i.gz (70.5 KB, 622 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Great hack, does it work for kindle 3.3?
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Great hack, does it work for kindle 3.3?
Works fine on 3.3 here.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Is this a possible "fix" (I use that term loosely) for the Kindle's that have failed Jailbreak? The ones with the empty systems folders?

I'm still holding onto mine. I bought another one and loaded Wubi on my computer and I'm learning that. There should to be a way to load the Kindle system file on to the K3 without the $24+ cable.

That great Wiki is all about the Kindle Touch and nothing on the K3? Is it just easier to unbrick the Touch?
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
fbdev
fbdev

no idea; you could try it.

the delivery method is the same as the jailbreak; the payload is completely different.

soooooo... it depends on which part failed.

of course, you cannot use it to install .bin files; installation through kite doesn't use amazon's delivery method.

all you have to do is drag, drop, unplug.

i suppose it's unplug and play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
Is this a possible "fix" (I use that term loosely) for the Kindle's that have failed Jailbreak? The ones with the empty systems folders?

I'm still holding onto mine. I bought another one and loaded Wubi on my computer and I'm learning that. There should to be a way to load the Kindle system file on to the K3 without the $24+ cable.

That great Wiki is all about the Kindle Touch and nothing on the K3? Is it just easier to unbrick the Touch?