Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Viewer window blank

On my windows 10 desktop when I attempt to open a book if the format is not PDF when the viewer window opens it remains blank. At the top of the window, I see "Loading book... --- E-book viewer (Not Responding)"

As a test, I left the window open for a few hours and nothing happened.

In another test, I installed Calibre on my laptop I opened the book successfully. Thus the issue is on my desktop.

This morning I installed Calibre 5.33 and tested it. I still have the issue.

I'm a bit gunshy about uninstalling Calibre on the desktop because I fear that I will lose all 17K+ of my books.

So far, my search for a solution has not resulted in success.

I'm open for suggestions.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
An uninstall will not effect configuration settings or libraries, but ==>> How do I backup calibre?

But why are you reading PDFs via the calibre viewer, it is inherently suboptimal for fixed layout formats?

If you uncheck PDF in Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for: the default PDF viewer will be used.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
An uninstall will not effect configuration settings or libraries, but ==>> How do I backup calibre?
Excellent, (regarding not affecting Calibre. I just uninstalled Calibre (Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features, found two instances of Calibre, I uninstalled both, reinstalled Calibre (now I only see one instance), opened Calibre, attempted to open an eBook, the viewer window opened but never displayed the book.

Good to know about the backup. I did not know that the configuration/plugins were hidden in the appdata folder. However, I think I'm safe. Nightly I backup the Calibre library folder to two different locations and retain 7 copies (e.g. 7 days, on the eighth day the first day is overwritten. Also, nightly I backup my AppData folders, which include the Calibre files that I did not know about.

Also nightly I backup my OS drive and keep 7 copies. I go for overkill when it comes to backups. In the past I have been burned going back 4 levels.

Quote:
But why are you reading PDFs via the calibre viewer, it is inherently suboptimal for fixed-layout formats?
Currently, because I cannot get the Calibre viewer to work, the window just opens and does not display anything.

Quote:
If you uncheck PDF in Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for: the default PDF viewer will be used.
I'm not sure if I changed the preferences for the PDFs but I checked and PDF is NOT checked and does open my PDF reader when I select the PDF file for a book.

I did not realize that PDF was not a good option but being a fixed format I can well understand.

If I'm using Calibre to open a book and it contains images. Can I select and copy the image and text? I just attempted one book on my laptop and only the text was in the clipboard (bummer)! If there is a way to also copy the image how do I do it?
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
Excellent, (regarding not affecting Calibre. I just uninstalled Calibre (Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features, found two instances of Calibre, I uninstalled both…
I assume there was a calibre-n.n.n and a calibre-64bit-n.n.n, the first is the 32 bit version.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I changed the preferences for the PDFs but I checked and PDF is NOT checked and does open my PDF reader when I select the PDF file for a book.
What do you mean by 'select the PDF', select it where, do you mean like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-04 111827.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	190627

If you have unchecked PDF in the "Use calibre viewer for": list, that should open the program that is configured as the OS default handler for PDFs - e.g. Acrobat, PDF xChange, whatever.

Quote:
If I'm using Calibre to open a book and it contains images. Can I select and copy the image and text? I just attempted one book on my laptop and only the text was in the clipboard (bummer)! If there is a way to also copy the image how do I do it?
I don't know how to copy text and images as a single unit, it may not be possible. You can copy an image by right clicking it and using the "Copy image" option (it's in the penultimate line of options).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote