Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #106
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Thanks Raindog! The limited storage for sideloaded books would be a deal breaker for me, if I was in the market for a Nook. Sure, I could fit a large number of books there, but it really irritates me how BN has segregated their storage in their last several readers. None of the other companies do this, so why should I compromise and limit myself to less than 1GB of space--when any of the other readers have at least 3GB available and the new high end Oasis and recently announced Kobo Aura One Limited Edition have 30GB+?!
Well as I said, on my Glowlight Plus, there is 2.81GB available for sideloading. Out of 4GB!
So I find it really odd that they ratcheted that down on the successor.
I showed you all the screenshot of the available memory. I suppose there's a chance there is more available when you actually hook it up to a computer, but I can't do that till I buy it.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #107
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Dropping the Glo HD was a big surprise to me and cost/price has been the only reason I could see. To me it's left a big gap in their lineup as nothing competes directly with the Paperwhite or this new Nook. It will be interesting if they put something out early next year.
The handwriting was on the wall when the Kobo Aura Edition Two was released, so I leaped on the Glo HD when it was clearance priced. I probably would have been better off going with a Paperwhite or Glowlight if I had needed a new 6" reader (I didn't ) as giving me more functionality, but I didn't stop to think it through at the time. It was then or never and I can't resist a bargain. And it really is a terrific reader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #108
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Well as I said, on my Glowlight Plus, there is 2.81GB available for sideloading. Out of 4GB!
So I find it really odd that they ratcheted that down on the successor.
I showed you all the screenshot of the available memory. I suppose there's a chance there is more available when you actually hook it up to a computer, but I can't do that till I buy it.
I agree, except they did it before with the Nook Glowlight.

I hope it's just a mistake of some sort though. I am still planning on buying one (or two), unless that sideloading limitation is real.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #109
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I don't own a Glowlight Plus, so I can't compare. But I'm wondering if this new device's firmware is based on the Glowlight (white bar of soap) or the Plus (metal body). The form factor certainly throws back to the Simple Touch / White Glowlight, so I wonder if the software does, too.

Looking at it that way, the partitioned memory for side-loading roughly doubled from the Simple Touch to the Glowlight, and again from the Glowlight (white, not plus) to the Glowlight 3. The Glowlight Plus was a different animal.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #110
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I don't own a Glowlight Plus, so I can't compare. But I'm wondering if this new device's firmware is based on the Glowlight (white bar of soap) or the Plus (metal body). The form factor certainly throws back to the Simple Touch / White Glowlight, so I wonder if the software does, too.

Looking at it that way, the partitioned memory for side-loading roughly doubled from the Simple Touch to the Glowlight, and again from the Glowlight (white, not plus) to the Glowlight 3. The Glowlight Plus was a different animal.
But it's not like B&N has separate lines of readers, the way Amazon and Kobo do. They have their current Nook e-reader and that is it.

The Nook ST had an SD card slot, so internal memory didn't matter. The Glowlight was an error because of the partitioned memory. The Glowlight Plus seemed to show they learned their lesson. The Glowlight 3...?

As for the firmware, I believe it's the all the same Nook firmware and they just keep updating it (though they don't necessarily update the firmware on previous devices).
Old 11-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #111
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm trying to figure out where this (less than) 1GB for side-loading information is coming from. On Barnes & Noble's website they just say this about the storage ...

"Holds thousands of books (8GB memory: 6.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content)."

I hope that's the true situation.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #112
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
The s/w on the Glowlight 3 looks exactly the same as the update that was just pushed out to the Glowlight Plus. (47.2.102) Same limited font and formatting choices, i guess is what you were wondering about.
So if you got that, you know what it looks like.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #113
raindog89
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm trying to figure out where this (less than) 1GB for side-loading information is coming from. On Barnes & Noble's website they just say this about the storage ...

"Holds thousands of books (8GB memory: 6.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content)."

Go back to message #90 in this thread. You will see the picture I snapped in B&N of the memory page on the Glowlight 3.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #114
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Amen brother (sister?)! Testify!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #115
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Go back to message #90 in this thread. You will see the picture I snapped in B&N of the memory page on the Glowlight 3.
Yep. That picture would seem to answer the question.

But... wait for it....

When I emailed B&N, this is what I was told:

We would like to inform you that the NOOK GlowLight 3 have the maximum memory/storage of 8GB. The 6.5GB storage will not be partitioned to NOOK Store and side-loaded content. You can fill it with your side-loaded content or purchased book on the NOOK Shop.

Could B&N not know about their own device? Could customer service ever be wrong? Say it ain't so, Joe!!! I'd be shocked! Shocked, I'd say! (Well, maybe not...)
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #116
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Wait. You can side load aps on an eink device? Is this new, or did the Glowlight Plus do the same?
You have to hack the Nook, but yes.

Boeye and Onyx devices don't even require hacking.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

But... wait for it....

We would like to inform you that the NOOK GlowLight 3 have the maximum memory/storage of 8GB. The 6.5GB storage will not be partitioned to NOOK Store and side-loaded content. You can fill it with your side-loaded content or purchased book on the NOOK Shop.

Could B&N not know about their own device? Could customer service ever be wrong? Say it ain't so, Joe!!! I'd be shocked! Shocked, I'd say! (Well, maybe not...)
I do hope it's true. That would be even better than the 2.5GB I'd read about earlier.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #118
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Well it makes sense that your local BN won't get the reader until the 8th--that's the date it's being released according to BN's website. But, you would think that the associates would at least have been briefed on it's upcoming release.
Some stores had the display unit set up before they opened on launch day. (B&N didn't even announce until noon.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #119
raindog89
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

But... wait for it....

There are two possibilities, as is I see it:
1) The sideloading space is included in the "Nook Content" figure.
2) The devices that they are releasing in two days have this issue resolved.

I'm in a particular bind. I only bought my Glowlight Plus 13 days ago. Right before they announced the new device. So I technically have until tomorrow to return it. But I don't want to return it if my sideloading space is cut down by 2/3.

I know, First World problems.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #120
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
There are two possibilities, as is I see it:
1) The sideloading space is included in the "Nook Content" figure.
2) The devices that they are releasing in two days have this issue resolved.

I'm in a particular bind. I only bought my Glowlight Plus 13 days ago. Right before they announced the new device. So I technically have until tomorrow to return it. But I don't want to return it if my sideloading space is cut down by 2/3.

I know, First World problems.
Well, I also want the sideloading space to be larger - because I'd like to install a couple of apps and see how they work - but I also want some accurate info. I have other devices, but I still feel a soft spot for the Nook, as the NST was my first eInk device.

It's not hard to sympathize with your dilemma. Most people who live in this habitat can!

A problem is a problem - no matter how small!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote