Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #91
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, on a Kindle for example library loans will only be deleted when you connect to WiFi. So perhaps Kindle owners stay offline while reading the omnibus.
I don't know how other devices manage it.

Or perhaps there are people who can read read at least five books in three weeks.
I read far more, personally.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #92
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, on a Kindle for example library loans will only be deleted when you connect to WiFi. So perhaps Kindle owners stay offline while reading the omnibus.

Or perhaps there are people who can read read at least five books in three weeks.
I was talking epub via Overdrive loans here, I have never "watched" one expire on tablet but I assume adobe's drm controls that from tablet date & time, online to not. Any that I leave in ADE library on PC get flagged as expired, for sure, if I don't return them early. They don't auto delete, they just stop working.

I thiunk the defaulytt is 2 weeks and I have mine set to 1 week as I get thru most singe books very quickely, but 3 weeks is an overdrive option. It is a global setting but maybe whewnever ou change it , it does not affect books already checked out.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #93
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Since FLP is a US library, Kindle loans are required context, regardless of one's preferences it still makes sense for the library book to exist.

Changing the date only affects future books -- that is why you change it when you expect a book to take time. Or leave it at 3 weeks, and return early if necessary.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #94
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FLP do offer both epub and mobi, I've always taken epub and I am pretty sure they have far more in that format....
hmmm, not really... better change that to just a few more..
checking all fiction by format:
Kindle Book(14896)
OverDrive Read(15976)
EPUB eBook(15974)
Open EPUB eBook(639)
PDF eBook(5490)
Open PDF eBook(506)

compared with all fiction at my local UK library ( one of the better ones). note no kindle formats
OverDrive Read(3848)
EPUB eBook(3869)
Open EPUB eBook(99)
PDF eBook(473)
Open PDF eBook(70)

Last edited by cybmole; 03-02-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #95
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Library books borrowed via OverDrive and Axis360 expire automatically on the due date (even when the apps are offline), and at that point become unreadable. So, whether deleted or not, the books' availability automatically transfers either to the next borrower in the queue or to the digital "stacks".

Last edited by Froide; 10-18-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #96
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Library books borrowed via OverDrive and Axis360 expire automatically on the due date and at that point become unreadable. So, whether deleted or not, their availability automatically transfers either to the next in queue or to the digital "stacks".
that is sensible.
so there are 2 parallel countdowns, a server side one to control when book becomes free for another reader, and a local one which may have different implementations in different software/ readers.

I think the library may have to buy another copy after every n loans also, where n is defined by publisher.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #97
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I contacted FLP on Thursday last and applied for an overseas patron account. Got the payment info today and I'm in!
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I contacted FLP on Thursday last and applied for an overseas patron account. Got the payment info today and I'm in!
Congratulations!
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #99
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've sent in my email application for FLP, had it accepted, they raised the $50 "fine" - but when I try to pay that by credit card, the payment fails. Tried three different cards (all valid, all usable for overseas purchases) to no avail. Has anyone paid for FLP successfully recently from outside of the USA?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #100
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, I don't have to renew the card till September. I would recommend sending an email to the librarians.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've sent in my email application for FLP, had it accepted, they raised the $50 "fine" - but when I try to pay that by credit card, the payment fails. Tried three different cards (all valid, all usable for overseas purchases) to no avail. Has anyone paid for FLP successfully recently from outside of the USA?
I just had a look and it still looks like the cost is $50.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #102
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just had a look and it still looks like the cost is $50.
Yes, I said $50.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I said $50.
You said and I quote...

Quote:
I've sent in my email application for FLP, had it accepted, they raised the $50 "fine"
That reads like the $50 fee has been increased aka "raised the $50 "fine"".

It was $50 last year and it has not been raised.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #104
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That reads like the $50 fee has been increased aka "raised the $50 "fine"".
I read it that way at first too, but then I figured that an alternate meaning of "raise" was meant, a synonym for cause or issue, as in "raising an alarm".
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I read it that way at first too, but then I figured that an alternate meaning of "raise" was meant, a synonym for cause or issue, as in "raising an alarm".
I read it as increased and I still do. I don't see the other meaning making sense. It just seems like poor wording to go for the second meaning.