Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Erin
eBook Developer
Erin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Nook
Kindle Fire Night Mode Color Issue

Forgive me if this is something that has been addressed (and kindly turn me around and push me in the correct direction)

I have been recently made aware by Amazon that a title I developed is being suppressed due to the fact that when the user goes into night mode, the text does not invert color schemes (so it ends up being black text on a black background). Now, this is indeed an issue, however, this book is not unique in its color scheme or coding. It is the same as the other few hundred titles I have developed.

Let me give you the nutshell of this client:

-Largest client for us
-Development from InDesign to EPUB a necessity
-InDesign specifies a color for all paragraph styles automatically
-Despite our strong advice to not make a global change to books for a possible glitch on one setting for one device (night mode works properly on other color readers), the request for all black color code to be removed is now an order

So I have a three-part request for aid:

1) Why might this be the only title that has had this problem? Perhaps it is the only title in which a customer claimed a formal complaint?
2) Is this a known Kindle Fire issue? I haven't found any documentation, but if other color readers have the sense to fully invert colors for night mode, why does Kindle Fire not?
3) Does removing the color code have any affect on any other reader? Are there some that require it that I'm not aware of?

Any and all help welcome.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Was there anything on the Kindle Fire forum about this problem?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget that you can pick up the make and model on startup, and also we used a wait and check loop in an Android app.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Erin
eBook Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morantis View Post
Don't forget that you can pick up the make and model on startup, and also we used a wait and check loop in an Android app.
I'm not sure I follow how this is relevant..
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Erin
eBook Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was there anything on the Kindle Fire forum about this problem?
Not that I saw, hence the disclaimer at the top.
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
How about the "Any and All" plea at the bottom?
Perhaps instead offer a percentage of your revenue from a commercial product.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Erin
eBook Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How about the "Any and All" plea at the bottom?
Perhaps instead offer a percentage of your revenue from a commercial product.
No dice, but good try
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you checked the ePub to see if there are any color codes in the CSS? That could be the problem. If you have the text color set and set to black, then when you go into night mode, you'd have black on black. Look at the CSS of the ePub and if there are any color codes, remove them and try the conversion again. If you don't see any color codes in the CSS, look in all the XML files to see if any color codes are there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Erin
eBook Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you checked the ePub to see if there are any color codes in the CSS? That could be the problem. If you have the text color set and set to black, then when you go into night mode, you'd have black on black. Look at the CSS of the ePub and if there are any color codes, remove them and try the conversion again. If you don't see any color codes in the CSS, look in all the XML files to see if any color codes are there.

Precisely. There is indeed a color code, which is standard when converting from InDesign. My question was not whether it existed or not (because I know it does) but why Kindle Fire's inverted mode doesn't translate properly, when other color tablets do. This book worked perfectly in night mode on the iPad and iPhone. I've yet to test it on a Nook Color.

The client is requesting we remove this color code. Fine, but I'm trying to get a better sense about the overall issue. Is this a known problem with Kindle Fires?

Tags
kindle fire, night mode, night mode colors