Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iriver e-book reader powered by Adobe Reader LE, more photos

Details are sketchy at this point, but dareview was able to shoot some more photos of the iriver e-book reader which was first revealed by Engadget @ CES 2007 last week.

Did you notice one photo depicts "Powered by Adobe Reader LE"? Although I admit to not knowing exactly the details of this software, it's fairly safe to say from reading the specs that the iriver will support encrypted PDF files.

Related: iriver announces new reader - watch out Sony, iriver enters the e-book business
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook1a.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2656   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook2a.jpg
Views:	1719
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2657   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook3a.jpg
Views:	1624
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2658  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Digital Editions would have been nicer.

Did you notice the stylus?

No sign of independant action screens...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Two notes I picked up from the dapreview article: it's a touch-sensitive screen (you can turn pages by swiping a finger), and it runs on regular batteries.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't think I like the dual screens. Heavier, more expensive, less room for a big battery, etc. One page with the Sony Reader or a pda works great in my opinion, unless there's some special interface needed on the other screen. Just to try to match the book experience with two pages seems silly to me.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Could work nicely for annotations: text on one screen, notes on the other. That was a thought I'd been kicking around for quite a while.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes, annotations would be easier this way. Not needed for an eBook reader per se, but great for an Info Pad.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Did you notice on the midddle photo a listing of other portable devices? It seems that they are planning a full line of both single and double screen models.

I would suspect that the Adobe (Acrobat) Reader LE would also have the ability to reflow documents when you change the font size. They have made a major push in recent years with their Acrobat line of products to enable as many Section 508 capabilities as possible. (Section 508 is the US Governmant mandate for products that are usable by people with disabilities.) Among these items are elements for sight imparied (i.e.: ability to make the font size larger and the ability to have the text flow in correct sequence to a text-to-audio application.) It would not be a major step for them to implement a text-to-audio feature. In fact, it would be in keeping with the past iriver product philosophy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Did you notice on the midddle photo a listing of other portable devices? It seems that they are planning a full line of both single and double screen models.

I would suspect that the Adobe (Acrobat) Reader LE would also have the ability to reflow documents when you change the font size. They have made a major push in recent years with their Acrobat line of products to enable as many Section 508 capabilities as possible. (Section 508 is the US Governmant mandate for products that are usable by people with disabilities.) Among these items are elements for sight imparied (i.e.: ability to make the font size larger and the ability to have the text flow in correct sequence to a text-to-audio application.) It would not be a major step for them to implement a text-to-audio feature. In fact, it would be in keeping with the past iriver product philosophy.
Interesting. I guess what we need is something like rockbox but for e-ink readers: http://www.rockbox.org/
Text-to-audio is an interesting feature for disabled people. As for text reflowing ability, I think it has something to do with the new PDF files that Adobe are working on. Reflowable PDF would be the best file format for all these readers...
It also seems that PDF is getting more and more a standard format across all these e-ink readers...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When the original specs of the Sony Reader were published they listed 64 MB as the user area. When the first version was released (ok, the current version) we had over 91 MB available. So in theory there are 27 MB that they could reclaim to implement the next expansion of the firmware/embedded code in the Reader. Since they already have Adobe Reader support it is something that I would expect them to implement to all existing Readers without charge.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

3 more images right here
http://www.iriver.co.kr/event/ces200...ent.asp?mode=5
seems pretty nice. Dual screen feels natural for a book, i think. There shall be a movie somewhere on the page but I can't find it.
*edit
http://www.iriver.co.kr/event/ces200...ent.asp?mode=4
here it is (does not work i firefox!)

Last edited by CTH; 01-24-2007 at 09:34 AM.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH
3 more images right here
seems pretty nice. Dual screen feels natural for a book, i think. There shall be a movie somewhere on the page but I can't find it.
*edit
It looks much nicer on these screens. Touch screen display is nice too, but I wonder what the autonomy for this device will be...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH
3 more images right here
*edit
Thanks for the links, CTH!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Ick, I don't like the huge border around the screen (more border = less screen area to device size ratio). On the other hand, if the device is touch screen then, maybe it will have a higher resolution and can display native PDF's more naturally? Of course, the touchscreen portion could just be an overlay across the actual screens display medium. Another cool thing about iRiver devices, I've noticed in the past that their devices tend to be tweeked a bit more by enthusiasts to do more than advertised (iRiver mp3 player with LCD screen was flashed to support playback of compressed video files, could have simply been flashed with an upgrade for a different region, but cool nonetheless).

It's good to see more eBooks on the horizon!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

vapor?

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Nothing in the shops here in Korea at all. I'm guessing still conceptual or prototyping or something. Come to think of it there are no ebook readers at all here as far as I can tell. And you know just how much Koreans love technology and all things new.

I'll be seriously looking at these if/when they get released. Hope the price will be good too.

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote