Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #121
lolcat
lolcat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It should be easy to obtain the coordinates on a jailbroken kindle. Anyone got an idea?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #122
theblop
theblop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I'm not sure about the Kindle 3, but I know kindle 2 has gps.
The kindle 3 also has "gps" (cell triangulation):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #123
cleanwelllighted
cleanwelllighted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassname View Post
For those who want to know how to access and modify the file, you need to jailbreak your kindle, then enable USBnetworking. This thread explains how to jailbreak. And a filed is attached to that thread which allows you to enable USBnetworking. This post has instruction for USBnetworking for the kindle 3.
Thank you for this info. So am I right in understanding that we cannot enable this whole "disable Big Brother" patch without enabling the USBnetworking first?

Because jailbreaking the Kindle was very simple - I can't say the same for the enabling USBnetworking part.

Isn't there any way to access and modify the "disable Big Brother" file , without having to do the whole USBnetworking thing, which seems like a lot of stuff I'll never have any other use for?

Please tell me it's so? If not, I'll need a bit more verbose explanation on doing the USBnetworking thing than what is provided in the link you gave.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #124
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I just saw this thread and didn't read much, but has anybody realized that the coordinate collection is probably to help find and track lost/stolen Kindles?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #125
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
I just saw this thread and didn't read much, but has anybody realized that the coordinate collection is probably to help find and track lost/stolen Kindles?
What is your backing for this claim?
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #126
theblop
theblop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
The coordinates are not precise enough to help with that, and also I doubt very much that Amazon or the police would care about it. Some people could argue that a mobile phone also tracks you all the time (see http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte...data-retention for a dramatic illustration) but that's inherent to how mobile phones work. I can't see why an ebook reader needs to send that data to its parent company (even using wifi!)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #127
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblop View Post
The coordinates are not precise enough to help with that, and also I doubt very much that Amazon or the police would care about it. Some people could argue that a mobile phone also tracks you all the time (see http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte...data-retention for a dramatic illustration) but that's inherent to how mobile phones work. I can't see why an ebook reader needs to send that data to its parent company (even using wifi!)
To add appropriate roaming charges?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #128
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

To those who categorically stated that the tracking was harmless and wasn't accurate enough, what are your thoughts on the iPhone tracking scandal?

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-privacy-fears:
Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.
. . .
"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

From http://gizmodo.com/#!5793925/your-ip...ere-youve-been:
The data itself is jarringly accurate (most of the time). And even though it appears to rely on tower triangulation rather than GPS pinpointing (meaning you're probably not safe with location services switched off), the map I was able to generate with mapping software the security duo released visualizes my life since the day I bought my iPhone 4 in July. Everywhere I've been. Bus trips home. Train trips to visit family. Vacations. Places I'd forgotten I'd even gone. Zoom in on that giant blotch over New York, and you can see my travels, block by block. My entire personal and professional life—documented by a phone I didn't know was also a full time location logging device. It's all accessible—where I've been, and when. (The animated software doesn't show location linked to any duration of less than a week, so it can't be used to snoop that closely. But the actual underlying database is timed to the second.)
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #129
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
would I use this ?:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129524
I want to this thing with an upgrade package, found this (much more easier.)
however want to make sure if it is the same/similar thing with the things on this thread. (also it is not on this forum)
Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #130
cleanwelllighted

Hi all,

I'm really eager to implement the changes discussed in this topic. But, I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of how to go about it, i.e. getting into the "/usr/bin/showlog".

Would it be too much trouble for someone to point me to a guide or something that explains what and how to do this? I'm not hopelessly ignorant, just uninformed, and I'm resonably sure that I'll be able to do it well once I'm shown how.

Thanks to anyone willing to give me a little direction. FWIW, I think it might be nice if the OP put a link to the basics in his post, since I would expect a topic like this to attract the attention of plenty of users who otherwise don't know their way around the 'Nix OS. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #131
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwelllighted View Post
Hi all,

I'm really eager to implement the changes discussed in this topic. But, I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of how to go about it, i.e. getting into the "/usr/bin/showlog".

Would it be too much trouble for someone to point me to a guide or something that explains what and how to do this? I'm not hopelessly ignorant, just uninformed, and I'm resonably sure that I'll be able to do it well once I'm shown how.

Thanks to anyone willing to give me a little direction. FWIW, I think it might be nice if the OP put a link to the basics in his post, since I would expect a topic like this to attract the attention of plenty of users who otherwise don't know their way around the 'Nix OS. Thanks again.
1. Install Kindle 3.1 Jailbreak

2. Install USBnetwork hack

3. Read this then install winscp

4. ?????

5. PROFIT!!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #132
cleanwelllighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
Thanks for the response. When I have a nice chunk of time I will thoroughly read and attempt the info you have offered, to do it right.

I'll report back on my success as well, to help any others who might be finding this as confusing as me. I am so eager to implement this, I don't want Amazon to have even a bit of my personal info without my consent, ever! I haven't even turned on 3G once in the month I've had my Kindle, lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #133
renatolond
renatolond began at the beginning.

Did anyone had success finding out how to obtain the Latitude/Longitude information that OP got from log (apparently, from wand)?
I have yet to get a good look, but I have a K3g and upon lookin my log, could not find those informations. I was looking forward to be able to get the info for my own tracking purposes.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #134
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
cleanwelllighted Welcome to Mobileread ....

You too, renatolond - Welcome ...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #135
Google
Җ Ξβ╔╤╗™ Җ
Google began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi [B008]
why I can't find the usr directory on my Kindle 3(WiFi)
I can only find the System and linkjail folders HELP!

Last edited by Google; 05-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Closed Thread