Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
More: "Notice from Amazon"

Evidently the rumors are true, the world is coming to an end after March 22, 2016.

Received today, in the snail-mail, a carefully designed, high-dollar production, post card.
By 1st. class mail no less (none of those 'bulk mail' thingies for Jeff Bezos).

Perhaps it is time we all, members and lurkers here, start sending Jeff Bezos notices that his subscription to Mobileread is about to expire.

That would make at least as much sense as the notices that he is having sent to all of his Kindle customers.

mailto:jeff@amazon.com

(almost 9 666 - I missed it by one.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What did the notice say other than the world is ending?
Answer for your 9,666 post.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What did the notice say other than the world is ending?
Answer for your 9,666 post.
I missed it by one again.

Your gonna love this - -
Their graphic designers borrowed the Mobileread layout.
Really.
Maybe that was to make it more official looking.

Across the card, a blue bar, with the Kindle block lettered tradename centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by content
Dear Kindle Owner, (<<<-- attempt to be familar, a comma rather than a semi-colon)

We've been trying to contact you via email and other methods to let you know that one or more of your Kindle e-readers requires a critical update.
To avoid interruption to your reading, please update your device(s) by March 22, 2016.

For step-by-step instructions on how to update your Kindle and to find out which devices require this update, please visit www.amazon.com/ku2016 .

We apologize for any inconvenience,

The Kindle Team

(c) 2016 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon, the Amazon logo, and Kindle are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109-5210.

Last edited by knc1; 03-18-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I better check my mail - I haven't updated all 3 of my Kindles. Since I only ever sideload, I haven't seen the need.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I better check my mail - I haven't updated all 3 of my Kindles. Since I only ever sideload, I haven't seen the need.
My postcard was mailed from Lancaster, Ohio.
Strange that our Postal System didn't get your copy to you several days ago.
Advert
Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My mother just called me saying she got one of these cards and is worried her Kindle is going to stop working. She also now has a big banner on the Amazon home page telling her she needs to update. AFAIK all of her Kindles are completely up to date, but I assured her I'd double check them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My mother just called me saying she got one of these cards and is worried her Kindle is going to stop working. She also now has a big banner on the Amazon home page telling her she needs to update. AFAIK all of her Kindles are completely up to date, but I assured her I'd double check them.
One probably needs updated then. I thought mine was up to date but it wasn't.
If mom is up to it, have her plug in her kindle, (it must be plugged in), turn on the wifi, then click on sync and check for new items.
Give the kindle about 2 hours.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
One probably needs updated then.
Nope. Both KK's are running 3.4.2 and her PW3 is on 5.7.3.1
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Since I decided to no longer update my Paperwhite, what are the chances Amazon will send some thugs to my house to "convince" me to update?
BTW March 22nd is a great day, Captain James T. Kirk was born on that day, as was Louis L'Amour, and consequently, me
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope. Both KK's are running 3.4.2 and her PW3 is on 5.7.3.1
Then she should be good.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #11
Zap
Zap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi (Kindle 5)
I also received this notice.
I have a Kindle Touch(K5) running 5.3.7.2.

I need help regarding it
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:48 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Since I decided to no longer update my Paperwhite, what are the chances Amazon will send some thugs to my house to "convince" me to update?
BTW March 22nd is a great day, Captain James T. Kirk was born on that day, as was Louis L'Amour, and consequently, me
That seems like a good guess to me.
The goon squads will be the next step in "assisting" Amazon customers.

I wonder what the step after the goon squads will be.
Like, what happens March 23, 2016 (if not the end of the world).

The StarFleet ships power source was based on total matter conversion (matter / anti-matter reactors).
Are they going to OTA the non-conforming Kindles with something based on that technology?

Maybe something simpler to e-mail -
Like a sub-atomic inertia cancellation virus.

sub-atomic particles without inertia == no angular momentum == no spin == no movement == the ultimate 'frozen matter' which would then collapse to something resembling neutronium (neutron-degenerate matter, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degene...ron_degeneracy) -
I.E: your Kindle disappears from sight as a very cold spot in some other reality.

Last edited by knc1; 03-18-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I got my post card today. I figure they mailed them before I updated my kindle or whoever was in charge of the list just mailed to everyone with a kindle.

Oh and knc, comparing that blue with mobileread blue, they are identical.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Those people just will not let up -
Received today (with stronger wording and more scare pharses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bezos
Date: Fri, 18 March 2016 16:02:17 +0000
To: xxxxxxxx
Subject: yyyyyyy, important update required for your Kindle e-readers

Dear yyyyyyy,

The following Kindle e-readers registered to your account require an
important software update:
(2) Kindle DX (2nd Generation)
Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation)

Update your devices to continue downloading e-books and using Kindle
services. Follow these steps to receive the update on your
Wi-Fi-capable devices:
- Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
- Connect to Wi-Fi.
- From the Home screen of your Kindle, select Menu or tap the Menu
icon. Then choose Sync and Check for Items. The update will begin
automatically.
- Leave your Kindle connected to both power and Wi-Fi overnight, or
until the update is complete.

For your 3G device(s) that don't have Wi-Fi support (Kindle First and
Second Generations):
- Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
- Connect to wireless.
- Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network
overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if
your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during
the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter titled
"03-2016 Successful Update" on your device when the update is complete.
You can find the letter by viewing All Items in your Kindle library,
then sorting the items by Recent.

If you do not update the devices' software by March 22, 2016, you will
no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via
Wi-Fi. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software
on each of your Kindle devices. Please visit our Help page for more
details on how to update manually:
www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert

!-----

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I no longer have one or more of my devices?
If you no longer have or use one of your Kindle e-readers, deregister
it from your account today. First, go to www.amazon.com/mycd and log
into your Amazon account. Click on the Your Devices tab and select the
Kindle e-reader you want to deregister. Click Deregister.

How do I connect to Wi-Fi?
You can find out more about connecting to Wi-Fi on our Help page:
www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert

One of my Kindles supports Wi-Fi but also has 3G support. Do I still
need to connect to Wi-Fi? Yes. Devices that support both Wi-Fi and 3G
wireless only receive software updates using Wi-Fi. Please remember to
connect them regularly using Wi-Fi in order to keep them up to date.

How can I get help on updating my Kindle e-readers?
For more information, visit our Help page:
https://www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert

Thank you for reading with Kindle, and be sure to connect your devices
to Wi-Fi regularly to receive all future software updates.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Kindle Team

!-----

© 2016 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon,
the Amazon logo, Kindle, and Prime are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc.
or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA
98109-5210.
HEY!
Will have to add a link to this message from the OTA blocking thread - -
Without this 'critical update' the OTA servers will no longer send you OTA updates.
(Yeah, like they are going to update my K2 someday.)

@Jeff Bezos:
Thank you for the advice.
Come March 23rd, we will check which certificate in the cacerts file is required by the OTA server connection and patch that sucker out of the certificate chain.

Airplane Mode Forever !!!

Last edited by knc1; 03-18-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Next step: telegrams, then carrier pigeons. (Don't be surprised if Amazon mails you a fax machine just so they can send you a fax.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote