Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #61
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Man,
I wish I understood computer logic jokes.
Have a hard enough time with the "must not eat humans" rules that there is precious little space left for such things.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #62
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
"2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2".
Actually, maybe it's only funny to me. Although, SOMEbody bothered to make up the button. It's more of a Math thing, than computers. Us Mathematicians are always saying "X + Y >= 500" " for sufficiently large values of X". The button just takes it to absurd.

Okay, how about the other button: 6 * 9 = 42 (base 13) which charmed me no end when I first found it.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 05-09-2008 at 06:55 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #63
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
About 10 years ago I was compiling a booklist for something and ran across this; The Delights of Wisdom on the Subject of Conjugial Love, followed by the Gross Pleasure of Folly on the Subject of Scortatory Love by Emmanuel Swedenborg.
Now the internet existed during this time, so once my various Unabridged dictionaries came up short I went online but only came up with references back to the aforementioned title.
By the title one could summize it's meaning but I really wanted a definitive answer so eventually went down to the main branch library and the 20+ volume Oxford and looked. It had three references and no definition. Two were books referring back to Swedenborg's work, and the last was Swedenborg's work.
Now of course, it's readily available;
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Scortatory

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #64
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Actually, maybe it's only funny to me. Although, SOMEbody bothered to make up the button. It's more of a Math thing, than computers. Us Mathematicians are always saying "X + Y >= 500" " for sufficiently large values of X". The button just takes it to absurd.

Okay, how about the other button: 6 * 9 = 42 (base 13) which charmed me no end when I first found it.
Back in operations research classes one of the running lines was "1 among more than 2"
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #65
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Would I be demonstrating naivety, obtuseness, or stupidity, if I said I understood and liked that?

One of my favorite non fiction books is Metamagical Themas by Douglas Hofstadter. A wonderful book based on columns he wrote for Scientific American (after Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games... you see what Hofstadter did with the title there.. heh)

Among many other odd and peculiar topics he toyed with were "self referential" sentences, like: This sentence is odd grammatical structure constructed with.

That is my example, not his. His are much better and even more peculiar.

One example he discussed was having carved into a desktop in Chicago "This sentence" and then carving into a desktop in Vienna "is concluded in Vienna".

It gets better. And even more peculiar.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 05-10-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #66
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Depends on Marvin? What, he's incontinent? No wonder he's such a wet blanket.
I know from experience that everyone in Kansas is incontinent.

Gawd, but I do amuse myself!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #67
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Deb:

I have my own (partially salacious) reason for thinking that your math problem is funny, but as for factual evidence to the same, am at a loss.

Became a sailor because I was told there would be no math.

Then they made me navigate. B*stards.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #68
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I am laughing at my own joke (again). I picture tompe sitting at his desk with a large stack of ponderous dictionaries, methodically "testing" them... cut to the scene outside the building, the scattering passerby, the screech of an unfortunate cat (katzenjammer!), the taxi run into the fire hydrant, and the one young man holding a test victim and saying, "so that's what that means".

Do we have any cartoonists in the house? The above, with the caption quoting tompe, "I have for a very long time used defenestrate to test dictionaries.".

My spleen aches.
DISCLAIMER : not actually a cartoonist, do not play one on television, and have not done any sketching in several years (and you can tell). but since my only desire on this earth is to cheer up PlanetHead (), here we go, spéciale dédicace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	testing-dictionaries.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	12729  
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #69
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I love you.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i know, baby...
Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #71
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The big sloppy karma kiss I just gave you ripped your towel away, leaving you splendid to behold. If the avatar fits, wear it.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #72
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
At it again. Sigh.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #73
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I love you.
I'm jealous!!!! But I did love the cartoon enough to save a copy of it. Must learn to draw; win back cuuuuute Planethead.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #74
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i know, baby...
I think he was talking to me.

Cheers,
Marc (Hey, I'm flattered, Adrian, but I'm afraid my spleen belongs to someone else)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #75
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I think he was talking to me.

Cheers,
Marc (Hey, I'm flattered, Adrian, but I'm afraid my spleen belongs to someone else)
oh, was he ? i didn't think you were in the room at the time.

Tags
hugo and lefty, words