Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
mb2u
Enthusiast
mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Touch and Mini
Any way of getting rid of the ads when its powered off?

Are they in some file that could be deleted when connected to the computer perhaps?
mb2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Not if you have the ad supported version of the Touch. My Touch is an ad supported version too. All that said, I have noticed with a couple of different firmwares that occasionally it has stopped displaying ads and displayed covers, so apparently there have been a few undocumented bugs that have flipped a memory location or two controlling the ad display behavior. Where those variables are located or what you'd need to flick them I couldn't say. Do not read that as, "with such and such version you won't get ads." It seemed entirely random to me the couple of times it happened.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Bizarre. I had no idea there was any such thing as an ad-supported Touch. Where are you folks located?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe that in Europe, units sold via FNAC are ad-supported.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Interesting, I bought my 905B Touch with ads off the US version of eBay. Of course, that hardly precludes someone importing or bringing one here with them. I practically stole mine for $40 just because I wanted to see what the adjustable font weights were like. When it arrived it turned out to be an ad supported model. Oddly enough I never questioned the Euro look of the ads, just chalked it up to Kobo being an International company.

Anyhow, I just followed the forum links to download the new 2.8.1 firmware and after installing it on both my Glo and Touch found it had the side effect of removing the ads and displaying covers. Whether that sticks, I cannot say, but I've noticed the ads have not changed in the year I've had it, so maybe they've dumped the ads program.

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-25-2013 at 02:34 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
If you want to get rid of adds, plug your device on your computer, open the .kobo directory, search for the affiliate.conf file and open it with the notepad : you'll find that text
Quote:
[General]
affiliate=fnac
change the word "fnac" (in France for exemple) for "none" (or any other word of your choice) and save the changes before disconnecting properly your reader and then you'll get the option in the parameters (light, sleeping mode and power) to choose "use a screensaver=> display the current reading book cover" (at least it's what that is sayed in the French version) so that if you check the box, your cover will be displayed and uncheck you'll get the sleeping face.

I must admit that I learned how to make that here at mobileread when, after an update, I had no longer the option to display the cover of the book on my Touch

It worked with the kobo Touch, and now, after updating to 2.8.1 with my glow, it worked well too

Last edited by vice-versa; 07-25-2013 at 08:25 AM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ads