Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Newbie PW questions

Morning all,

I picked up my PaperWhite last night and am pretty pleased. The screen on this one looks perfectly fine to me.

I was using a K4 NT and have a couple of questions that I cannot see addressed anywhere.

Is there a way to jump between chapters or bookmarks on the PW? On the K4 I would have used the right and left buttons on the 5-way controller.

Also, I imported my collections from my K4 which /mostly/ worked although about 20% didn't come across. I had a few empty collections ( which was to be expected since I didn't load all the books in first) but some collections are entirely missing when I compare side by side with the K4. I created most of the collections on the K4 using the Calibre plug-in. Any idea why some didn't come across?

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Morning all,

I picked up my PaperWhite last night and am pretty pleased. The screen on this one looks perfectly fine to me.

I was using a K4 NT and have a couple of questions that I cannot see addressed anywhere.

Is there a way to jump between chapters or bookmarks on the PW? On the K4 I would have used the right and left buttons on the 5-way controller.

Also, I imported my collections from my K4 which /mostly/ worked although about 20% didn't come across. I had a few empty collections ( which was to be expected since I didn't load all the books in first) but some collections are entirely missing when I compare side by side with the K4. I created most of the collections on the K4 using the Calibre plug-in. Any idea why some didn't come across?

Rob
There is no shortcut to easily jump between chapters. Amazon took away that feature. On the Touch you can swipe up or down on the page and older Kindles allowed the L and R 5-way controller buttons to do this. Currently the only way to go to a chapter beginning is via the Menu system.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Jumping to bookmarks and chapters

Quote:
To jump to bookmarks, tap upper margin \ menu \ view notes and marks \ menu \ show \ your bookmarks.

To jump to chapters, tap upper margin \ Go To \ Part \ Chapter.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
Actually one of my books- bought directly on Amazon had no table of contents, or page numbers. I could live without page numbers for a second but no TOC? i was coming off my Nook first gen and had not finished the book, spent a good ten minutes working out where i was up to on the darn paperwhite.

Sure it's pretty and fast but reading experience.. not so happy.
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
Actually one of my books- bought directly on Amazon had no table of contents, or page numbers. I could live without page numbers for a second but no TOC? i was coming off my Nook first gen and had not finished the book, spent a good ten minutes working out where i was up to on the darn paperwhite.

Some Amazon eBooks do NOT show chapters. Most do. If that happens, just use bookmarks. All the Amazon eBooks do show the bookmarks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Morning all,

Rob
To add to what was posted above - for periodicals, you can jump to the next/previous section by swiping up/down. For some reason, that does not work with book chapters (it did for the KT, but was disabled for the PW).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Actually one of my books- bought directly on Amazon had no table of contents, or page numbers. I could live without page numbers for a second but no TOC?
You can thank the publisher for this. They format the ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

This is why I use Calibre to add a working TOC/Navigation to all my books before reading. Sometimes it's as easy as a reconvert and sometimes it's editing it in Word so that the Chapters are properly marked and Calibre will add it to the TOC using a regex.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote