Old 07-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
manon123
Enthusiast
manon123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Question Errors in opening Sigil

Hello to all Manjaro users.

I need your help.

Since I love "making" my paper books into e-books, I use the Sigil application.
The latest version is today: 1.3.0-1.

When I try to launch the application, I get a window with an error: Sigil has encountered a problem. Sigil could close.
I have to close this window seven or eight times before Sigil opens, but then the application crashes.
The error indicated by the terminal when I launch Sigil :
Code:
~  sigil
[156491:156514:0729/194306.389615:ERROR:proxy_config_service_linux.cc(1298)] Unable to set up proxy configuration change notifications
The error window in the "Show Details..." section... :
Code:
Error info: Critical: inotify_add_watch(/home/manon/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/sigil_searches.ini) failed: (No space left on device)
Sigil version: 1.3.0
Runtime Qt: 5.15.0
Compiled Qt: 5.15.0
System: Manjaro Linux
Architecture: x86_64
I don't understand these errors and specially: "No space left on device" error.

Do you have any idea how to solve my problem?

Thank you.

Last edited by manon123; 07-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.
manon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sounds like some Sigil required python3 modules have not been installed. Installing Sigil should install the required python modules from the repository although you may have to install them manually if you built from source directly.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-29-2020 at 04:02 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, I build from source on Manjaro now as well and have not seen any difficulties with this release by following the build instructions but I have not done a update in the past two weeks so some other updated package may be causing the issue.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No clue on the "no space left on device" bit. Sigil writes preferences to .local in your home directory. Without knowing anything about your filesystem or setup, I wouldn't know where to start.

Do you have some sort of extra security running?

Is it possible the partition your home folder is on is full? Do a "df -h" and paste the results back here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-29-2020 at 05:43 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
manon123
Enthusiast

I installed Sigil from Manjaro's official repository three weeks ago.
There have been two updates since the installation.
But since the beginning, I've been getting these errors.
I tried to uninstall Sigil, while renaming its dependency in /home/manon/.local/share/sigil-ebook to .../sigil-ebook.old.
I reinstalled the software that created a new "sigil-ebook" in .local, but I keep getting the same errors.

@DiapDealer:

I have no security.
Here's a return from inxi -Fx:

Code:
 ~  inxi -Fx
System:
  Host: bruno-kde Kernel: 5.8.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: HP product: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx 
  v: N/A serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: HP model: 843B v: 00 serial: <root required> UEFI: AMI v: F.11 
  date: 06/11/2018 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i5-8400 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 9216 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 33613 
  Speed: 1258 MHz min/max: 800/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900 
  3: 900 4: 900 5: 900 6: 900 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: nvidia v: 440.100 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Device-3: Plantronics type: USB driver: plantronics,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
  bus ID: 1-1.3:6 
  Device-4: Logitech Webcam C930e type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
  bus ID: 1-5:5 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: N/A port: 4000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 10:62:e5:0d:d5:20 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 13.76 TiB used: 5.89 TiB (42.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: SK Hynix model: BC501 HFM128GDJTNG-8310A 
  size: 119.24 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000DM003-1SB102 size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 
  size: 2.73 TiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 
  size: 3.64 TiB 
  ID-5: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 
  size: 2.73 TiB 
  ID-6: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Backup+ Desk 
  size: 3.64 TiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 115.91 GiB used: 31.58 GiB (27.2%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
  ID-2: /home size: 915.89 GiB used: 515.26 GiB (56.3%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sda1 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.11 GiB used: 11.8 MiB (0.1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sde2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 42 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 28% 
Info:
  Processes: 294 Uptime: 1d 2h 42m Memory: 15.54 GiB used: 6.65 GiB (42.8%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 clang: 10.0.1 Shell: bash v: 5.0.18 
  inxi: 3.0.37
And python is in version : Python 3.8.5

Last edited by manon123; 07-29-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the latest Manjaro in a VM (lovely installer BTW--Cinnamon looks fantastic!) and did a full update, but I'm only getting Sigil 1.2.1 from the repos at the moment. My mirrorlist must not have updated yet. 1.2.1 seems to install and run as is should when installing it with pacman, though. Not sure what might be wrong on your system. The one error clearly indicates a space issue, but if that's not the case, I'm at a loss as to how to help.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #7
manon123
Enthusiast

It's not a problem of space.
My /home has 78.3 GiB free
Old 07-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sigil needs temp storage to run. What do you have set up in that regard?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-30-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manon123 View Post
It's not a problem of space.
My /home has 78.3 GiB free
It might help if you select a different temp folder in Sigil.
Edit > Preferences > General Settings > Advanced > Set folder where temporary files should be created.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've got hard drives mounted as folders in the filesystem. So the fact that my home partition has tons of free space has nothing to do with the fact that the drive mounted as ~/home/data2 is nearly full.

The temp space is a good place to start. In addition to the scratch directory needed for extracting the epub, Qt often creates temp versions of the various preference INI files when they're open or being written.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm still curious how you wound up with Sigil 1.3.0 installed from Manjaro repos on the 29th (or before). Arch updated to 1.3.0 on the 29th, and Manjaro is still showing 1.2.1 for me today (the 31st). If you are using the testing or unstable update branches, it could explain the breakage.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
manon123
Enthusiast

I'm using the unstable branch.
But wih a downgrade I've the same issue.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
manon123
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It might help if you select a different temp folder in Sigil.
Edit > Preferences > General Settings > Advanced > Set folder where temporary files should be created.
Instead of using the /tmp folder, I had just created a /home/manon/TMP folder, so that all the application building manipulations are done in my /home and not in /tmp.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The only good reason to change Sigil's temp directory is because the default temp directory causes issues. Like on Macs where Sigil's temp folder can be deleted (while Sigil has it open) by a system reaper process if Sigil is left open for long periods of time. Otherwise "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" very much applies here.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I think he was trying to make sure that Sigil definitely had tmp space given the earlier error message.

I have no idea what "unstable" is like on Manjaro but building Sigil from source on current normal (stable) Manjaro works like a charm so the issue may be with something else installed from the "unstable" repo.

So I am not sure how much help we can be here without installing Manjro and doing a full update from "unstable" but that is not something I am willing to do since I want a stable build environment on Linux for my own testing.

Is there a way to take a system completely updated from "unstable" and put it back to a system updated completely from "stable"?