Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
usnwifeaustin
usnwifeaustin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Just got my 505 and I'm clueless!

My husband bought me a 505 for our anniversary and I'm clueless how to use it. My big question now is can I use the ebooks off ebay on it. I really want the Twilight series the the difference of sony store (around $40) and ebay ($5) is big. The ones ebay so I will be sent the book in the PDF format. Can I use it? Help please. in layman terms.

Thanks!
usnwifeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at the top of this page.
There is logo and under that you see blue menu:

User CP, E-books,

Click on E-books.
There you can find thousands of books for download for your reader. Those titles were lovingly typeset by your fellow mobilereaders and are made available legally, for free.

Also click on Wiki on the very top of this page.
There you will find pages called
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

There are thousands of books available for you for free and legally on the internet.
If you need help setting up the reader and starting to borrow electronically from your library, just ask here.

I suspect that the book on e-bay is a pirate copy.
I am not sure it will even display properly on your device. If it is just a scanned paper book it could be nearly unreadable because of too small text.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yes if they are PDF, you should be able to use them on your 505. Alot of people don't like pdf because sometime they look kind of funky on the screen, but I don't mind, most of the time. Being able to read pdf books gives me the widest selection, in my opinion.

You can also check ebooks out from the library in either pdf or epub format and read them on your reader!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
usnwifeaustin

Ok I'm not understanding this library ebook thing. All the ones I have seen aren't current books. Are modern books like Nicholas Sparks, Twilight, or James Patterson available with these or is just classic books?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnwifeaustin View Post
My husband bought me a 505 for our anniversary and I'm clueless how to use it. My big question now is can I use the ebooks off ebay on it. I really want the Twilight series the the difference of sony store (around $40) and ebay ($5) is big. The ones ebay so I will be sent the book in the PDF format. Can I use it? Help please. in layman terms.

Thanks!
Welcome to MobileRead.

The difference in the price is that the ebay ones are illegal copies.

The sony are legal.

The library we speak of here is all public domain, free for the downloading. Its classics by authors who knew how to write, and whose works have withstood the test of time.

I believe kelly was talking about your public library's ebooks available. There you will find the modern authors, and depending on their selection, lots of books. They will close automatically at the end of the check out period.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Some public libraries lend current books like the one's you mentioned. Click the Wiki on the top of the page and, under ebooks, select lending libraries (or follow this link https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries)

They let you download the book and keep it for a period of 21 days at the end of which, it disappears off your reader.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The ones ebay so I will be sent the book in the PDF format.
As others have noted, the ebay ones are probably pirated. However PDFs will work.

For buying ebooks from stores, I suggest checking Books on Board as well as the Sony ebook store. BoB sells several ebook formats, but the ones you want are Adobe ePub or Adobe Digital Editions. If you have a choice, ePub is better. You will need to download Adobe's Digital Editions software to your Desktop PC to access Adobe ebooks, see BooksOnBoard Helpful Information and FAQs. This software is also required to access lending library ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There are many thousands of contemporary (or as you call them - modern) books available on the Internet free of charge. I am talking about legal ones.

There are also lots of illegal ones. Lust like the one you have found on ebay.

If you are looking for a *particular* book, you will have to buy it for steep price, I am afraid, or you could spend hours prowling dark corners of the net like non-public channels on some IRC servers, torrent sites like the piratebay, various peer to peer (often called p2p) networks and then spend further time reformatting the book so it is suitable for your Reader.

If you set out to find a good contemporary book, ANY BOOK, and you do not insist that it HAS to be Twilight series, or Harry Potter, there are lots of books available.

One small example:
I have found great site called Critters www.critters.org/
I have registered there and I can download short stories and novels. You "pay" for reading material by submitting critiques for what you read.
Critters is website for authors that seek somebody that would read their stories or books and provide critique so they could improve their work.
You can not get "fresher" books than that ;-)
To my surprise many of those "raw" books were very good.

Another small example.
Try looking in our subforum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
This is where I found:
- Three free very contemporary thrillers by Boyd Morrison
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44129
- "Delver Magic" Trilogy - Jeff Inlo's series FREE in 8 different formats
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47003
- free: The Patriot Witch by C.C. Finlay (pdf version only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47435
- "Online Novels" - FREE, legal novels available on the Internet
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47004
- Book One of a trilogy, When Women Were Warriors, as a free download from website:
http://www.catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook.html

If you are USA resident there is high chance that your public library is lending electronic books for your Reader.
Instead of going to the library to get paper books you download file for your reader. After certain period (typically 21 days) the file "expires" and is unreadable on your reader - just like when you return the paper book to the library.
Have another look at our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Ok I'm not understanding this library ebook thing. All the ones I have seen aren't current books. Are modern books like Nicholas Sparks, Twilight, or James Patterson available with these or is just classic books?
Hi,

I was talking about the public libraries, and yes they do have current books! My library has several James Patterson, a few Nicholas Sparks, etc. Of course it varies by library as I have found different books at different libraries. But hopefully you can find what you're looking for. I would definitely check with your library system.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I too am a brand-new relatively non-techie owner of a Sony 505, and this site has helped me out tremendously.

Go here and read this:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505

and it will answer a lot of your questions.

Enjoy your reader!
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I buy books, and I am also Fond of the Public Library for Free checkouts....Love having the option to do either.

I buy books because they may be new releases that I want NOW. And I enjoy supporting the Authors and am willing to pay to support their efforts.

My Greater Phoenix Area Library has a huge selection, as well as the Michigan Library consortium where my Son lives. I nudged him into getting a library card to share with me for an even larger selection. The Michigan Library Consortium has quite a few Epub books which seem to be newer releases.

And, check often on this site and on Sony Connect. Tons of free books available.

Life is Good
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!

I just got ahold of the Michigan Library Consortium today! My boyfriend lives there and is letting me "borrow" his library card number and get my ebooks. I had to do some nudging myself to get him to go get a new card since his other one wasn't good anymore.. I live in California and belong to two library systems with ebooks already, and am planning a road trip to collect 3 more cards. But I found the Michigan library has several books that my other two libraries didn't have. I added books I want to check out to my wishlist, then when I'm ready I'll check them out. I have quite a list already, and I only got through half of the romance section before I stopped. And I already checked out two from that library. I am so glad I picked the 505!!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post

And, check often on this site and on Sony Connect. Tons of free books available.

Life is Good
Eharlequin also has several free titles. I also found some free "mini" ebooks. And others that were only a couple dollars.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
usnwifeaustin

Thanks everybody! I'm going to dig deeper into what my local library has. Call me crazy but I like modern books and I guess I will be paying for them. I was required to read way to many classic in college and it was take a few years before I ever want to read one again. Thansk Again!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
kelly1010
Book Addict!

You're not crazy I don't really like classics either, although I did download a few from this site. I prefer current bestsellers and contemporary fiction/romance genre.