Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #166
elesko
elesko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
@elesko
Yeah, that should be jailbreakable. You need to use factory firmware 5.10.0.2 with md5sum be5cc7a210bfa4fc81d4a03e62647714 from the first post.

Ignore the usbnet comment. The ;installHtml method is easier to use. Note, you have to extract the K5 jailbreak on your PC first (on Windows, use 7-zip). The only file you need to copy is main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to the root of the Kindle (well, internally it's /mnt/us but from Windows or Linux point of view X: or /mnt/media/Kindle).

After that, copy and install the hotfix. Once that's done, you can update to consumer firmware (currently 5.10.1.2).

Remember, you need coplate's KUAL build for the PW4 (link somewhere in this thread). The KUAL on NiLuJe Snapshot thread's first post just displays blank.
that was quite helpful, thanks. its not easy to get into modding a new device without having a knowledge base about the product.

it seems like kual is working, now ill try to put some applications on it an test if that works. is there a way to transfer files over wifi instead of constantly plugging in and out the device?
elesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #167
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesko View Post
that was quite helpful, thanks. its not easy to get into modding a new device without having a knowledge base about the product.

it seems like kual is working, now ill try to put some applications on it an test if that works. is there a way to transfer files over wifi instead of constantly plugging in and out the device?
Once you get USBnet working and enable ssh over wifi you can copy files with scp.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #168
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I do know it seems kinda scary when you're just starting out. I expect the reason the instructions were not in depth is as the first post states, the steps are exactly the same as on the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

It's just the files that you need to use that are different:
  • PW4 factory firmware
  • main-htmlviewer.tar.gz (although I suspect this one doesn't really change)
  • hotfix
  • probably add-ins (KUAL, mrpi, etc)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #169
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frostschutz: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies! (and obfuscated Java ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #170
elesko
elesko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Once you get USBnet working and enable ssh over wifi you can copy files with scp.
i got it working when i first read through the readme of usbnet it looked pretty scary.

in the end all it took was me putting the proper drivers onto my pc and figuring out my kindles ip address and make it fix and then find out my kindle password. no need for putty or scp. i used filezilla instead.

for anyone curious where the visible standard root folder of your kindle is, its in /mnt/base-us.

i can write up a proper how-to if someone asks for it.

thanks for all your help again guys! now i can start finally use the kindle as i intended to - read books to learn more about programming and maybe one day create something for the kindle

edit:

one hopefully last question though, do i need to remove the folder i created to stop the kindle from updating to be able to update again? i jailbreaked and put all the fixes in so i should be safe to update. should i remove the folder again? do i keep my files on the kindle when i update?

Last edited by elesko; 11-27-2018 at 02:00 PM.
elesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #171
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
one hopefully last question though, do i need to remove the folder i created to stop the kindle from updating to be able to update again? i jailbreaked and put all the fixes in so i should be safe to update. should i remove the folder again? do i keep my files on the kindle when i update?
Leave it unless you want the Kindle to automatically update without your knowledge.

The update.bin.tmp.partial folder only blocks OTA update firmware downloads (that's the file name used while downloading). The folder doesn't prevent manual firmware updates (download firmware to PC and copy update.bin to Kindle).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #172
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You never need to remove that folder.

If you want to update, just follow Amazon's directions for manually updating your kindle.

Lately, it is probably not a good idea to be the first to update to the latest firmware version unless you enjoy the bleeding on the bleeding edge.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #173
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - - -
i can write up a proper how-to if someone asks for it.
- - - - - -
Been there, wrote that.

See the little colored title prefix tags, such as: "tutorial" ?
We once had between two and three years worth of threads prefixed.

All of which disappeared one day when one of the senior moderators hit the wrong button.

But if you search by my nickname and "ssh" in the title you should find a series of tutorials on the subject.
Note: you only need to find one, I linked them together both forward and reverse.

Try the "Advanced Search" tool.
When logged in, top right corner, leave "search text" block empty, click "search".
That will bring up the "Advanced Search" tool.

Also;
The "Amazon/Linux" that these Kindles run, although having implementation differences due to being an embedded system, operate 99.99% the same as your disktop Linux. (Plus, this forum has the policy of only using/posting "Open Source" tools and applications.)
Or, your Linux Live CD (DVD), if you don't have a real Linux installation.

Last edited by knc1; 11-27-2018 at 07:05 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #174
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My Paperweight 4 was delivered already even though it was announced for a much later date. Came with 5.10.0.1 firmware. Won't have time to really play with it until next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The PW4 has an accessible serial port, so it is always jail breakable.
Is anyone using the serial port? Are there any guides for the PW4 specifically?

I thought someone posted a picture of it but I can't find it anymore...

All I found instead was this teardown vid on youtube and I think I can see the serial port near the battery but it's hard to tell since they turned it into a horror movie and I couldn't sleep all night after watching it it's a bit blurry...

Also need to locate a vcc source...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #175
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
You don't need it, just keep it to 5.10.0.1 until you have free time to do the jb
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #176
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Is anyone using the serial port? Are there any guides for the PW4 specifically?

I thought someone posted a picture of it but I can't find it anymore...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3773220
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #177
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
You don't need it
The jailbreak works fine. Thanks!

I'd like to access the serial port regardless, for peace of mind.

When I brick my Kobo, I can simply remove the internal MicroSD card. No such luck for the Kindle. And years ago I managed to brick my StoryHD, or rather it bricked itself on firmware update, and I had to buy a new one... that's something I'd like to avoid, but sometimes bricks just happen.

(I guess this is the wrong thread for asking about PW4 serial port, then. Sorry)

@JimmyR: Thanks!
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #178
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
- - - - -
Is anyone using the serial port?
Are there any guides for the PW4 specifically?
- - - - -
If so, they haven't posted about it here.

The major change is that related to the file system layout.
The KOA2 and PW4 use a file system layout different than previously.

Also, they are no longer dual-boot devices, they are "dual mode" devices.
I.E: the "Diags" system is memory resident now.

(And they use the Android boot routines rather than U-Boot.)

- - - - -

Since the KOA2, like the KOA, does not have a documented serial port ...
The PW4 is the first device which could be the base of updated directions.

- - - - - -

As suggested above, just prevent the device from updating.
(Put the blocking directory on the user visible file system, keep it away from Wifi, ...)

You do not want to be the first one to jail break over the serial port while re-writing the directions.

Last edited by knc1; 11-28-2018 at 08:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #179
elusznik
elusznik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Question Installation

Okay, so in order to install the hotfix I need to have MRPI installed, and in order to install I have to have KUAL installed? So the order in which I should do things is installing factory->installing jailbreak->installing KUAL->installing MRPI->installing hotfix?
elusznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #180
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@elusznik: No, the hotfix (and only the hotfix, which explains the need for MRPI for everything else) is designed to be installed via "Update Your Kindle" (UYK) in the Settings menu.

The Hotfix also allows you to run MRPI without KUAL, via the ;log mrpi search string, which allows you to actually install KUAL on these devices (as it's no longer a simple Kindlet).

TL;DR: Factory Image -> Factory JB -> Hotfix -> MRPI -> KUAL Booklet w/ Coplate's patch -> Everything else

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-29-2018 at 11:58 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4