Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #151
ktos35l
ktos35l began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That post reads as if you where uncertain as to what each of those do.
Indeed, I used to perform most of the steps mechanically following instructions found in this forum w/o much understanding of their purpose. But your help made it a lot cleared as I wrote before.

I wonder if there is a solution to one problem I have with pdf books. Sometimes parts of pdf books are displayed with use of a very small font (impossible to read) in Koreader - so that eg. 20% of the page is unreadable and the rest of the page looks OK. Is there any cure for it?
ktos35l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #152
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ktos35l: Out of scope here, open an issue in KOReader's GitHub.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #153
elesko
elesko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4 soon?
did anyone buy a pw4 on black friday and received his already?? im kinda worried it will ship with the newest version instead of th ones that are jailbrekable. they say im going to get mine on thursday, which seems kinda odd. that makes me think their stock ran out so maybe the new stock will be updated. i rly hope its not.

im in germany, if that matters at all.
elesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #154
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The PW4 has an accessible serial port, so it is always jail breakable.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #155
elesko

Quote:
The PW4 has an accessible serial port, so it is always jail breakable.
but that breaks the waterproof sealing no? id love to preserve that feature.
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #156
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesko View Post
did anyone buy a pw4 on black friday and received his already?? im kinda worried it will ship with the newest version instead of th ones that are jailbrekable. they say im going to get mine on thursday, which seems kinda odd. that makes me think their stock ran out so maybe the new stock will be updated. i rly hope its not.

Does the order info page show the serial number yet?

The 9th to 12th digit is supposed to be the manufacturing date.

9: year
10-11: week number
12: day

FWIW, one of mine (8437: 2018-October-28) still came with 5.10.0.2

https://www.epochconverter.com/weeks/2018
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #157
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Quote:

I get mine friday here in italy and it was a 5.10.0.1 you should be able to see the serial when they have shipped. Btw, about shipping, they wanted me to do amazon prime since ordering with free shipping gave an extimated delivery for 3 december (while ordering during 22 november!). That night it went from 3 december to this monday since it was shipped. Then friday morning it was already in delivery!
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #158
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
did anyone buy a pw4 on black friday and received his already?

Same here

They shipped mine from someplace in France, probably won't arrive before December.

(Edit: Just checked again. My Kindle is a Goopey and they shipped it from Giddy. Wonderful)

It's the 2nd time I order a Kindle, returned the first one (years ago, before frontlight happened I think).

I already regret ordering it at all [Kindle hacking is a bit of a mess apparently, do I really want to get involved?] but it was a very good price for another ebook reader I really don't need

Last edited by frostschutz; 11-26-2018 at 09:40 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #159
elesko

i just got my kindle 8gb wifi only without special offer and checked the firmware-version. its a 5.10.0.2 but its serial starts with G000 so not sure of the jailbreak works on this device. can someone guide me through this over voicecom or irc or whatever? id be very thankful. i just wanna make sure i dont mess up anything the first time i try it.

edit:
or just to make sure maybe someone can confirm me that this is the right way to do it.

i download the firmware image for 5.10.0.2 and put that on the root folder of my kindle via usb. then i go into the settings menu of the kindle and update. this picks the file on the sd kindle that i just uploaded and makes it possible to use usb net.

i put a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" to block updating from amazons cloud.

after that i just put the k5 jailbreak from the link posted in the initial post and put that onto my kindle. run update again to jailbreak my device.

put hotfix onto the device and update again. then i can update to the newest version via amazon update.

now it states that i can use usbnet to do this manually, which i assume means that i can get ssh access to make a the firmware file myself or what is it used for?

edit2:
do i have to put the bin files onto the kindle one by one or can i pick which file i wanna apply on the kindle?

Last edited by elesko; 11-27-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #160
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the new (2 years old) serial number layout, you must use the first six characters.
You can see what confusion happens using only the first four by looking at the model-serial table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Allow only ONE (1) *.bin file on the Kindle at a time!

Always REMOVE the USB cable before trying to update the Kindle.
(You should never have entered the diags system, and I am guessing that this is how it happened.)

Please provide a screen shot from the Kindle.
(Two finger touch, on diagonally opposite corners of the screen.)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #161
elesko

Quote:
With the new (2 years old) serial number layout, you must use the first six characters.
You can see what confusion happens using only the first four by looking at the model-serial table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Allow only ONE (1) *.bin file on the Kindle at a time!

Always REMOVE the USB cable before trying to update the Kindle.
(You should never have entered the diags system, and I am guessing that this is how it happened.)

Please provide a screen shot from the Kindle.
(Two finger touch, on diagonally opposite corners of the screen.)
i didnt do anything yet, i just wanted to confirm i would be doing it the right way. thats why i dont understand what you mean by diags system.

is it safe for me to post my serial number in here? i cant imagine that being okay. i went into the device info settings and this is what i got. i blacked out the last 2x4 group of characters after the first 2 groups of 4 characters.

edit:
just realized its the G000PP which is listed on the initial post. sry about that.

so i can go and do it the way i described it earlier? i rly dont wanna brick this thing. is dont understand the part where i need to download the firmware and use that as a base. is that firmware already modified or is it the one that comes with my kindle anyway? why do i need to flash it?

Last edited by elesko; 11-27-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #162
knc1
Going Viral

Look at the table I linked you to, that should show you what the phrase: "first six characters" means.
There is no reason to post more than the first six characters, consider the rest of the serial number "private".

You now know two things:
Your model is one of those covered by this thread.
The current firmware is one of those covered by this thread.
Q.E.D: You are in the right place.

Yes, you must flash a different system image.
It is not the version number (which happens (by chance) to be the same), it is the build options it was created with that make a difference.
What is on your device now is a "customer use" firmware build, what you will be putting on it is a "factory use(-only)" firmware build.
It is a requirement to the over-all process.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #163
elesko

Quote:
Look at the table I linked you to, that should show you what the phrase: "first six characters" means.
There is no reason to post more than the first six characters, consider the rest of the serial number "private".

You now know two things:
Your model is one of those covered by this thread.
The current firmware is one of those covered by this thread.
Q.E.D: You are in the right place.

Yes, you must flash a different system image.
It is not the version number (which happens (by chance) to be the same), it is the build options it was created with that make a difference.
What is on your device now is a "customer use" firmware build, what you will be putting on it is a "factory use(-only)" firmware build.
It is a requirement to the over-all process.
i see, i was just curious as to why that was necessary, thanks for the clarification.

ill go ahead now and follow the instructions.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #164
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
@elesko
Yeah, that should be jailbreakable. You need to use factory firmware 5.10.0.2 with md5sum be5cc7a210bfa4fc81d4a03e62647714 from the first post.

Ignore the usbnet comment. The ;installHtml method is easier to use. Note, you have to extract the K5 jailbreak on your PC first (on Windows, use 7-zip). The only file you need to copy is main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to the root of the Kindle (well, internally it's /mnt/us but from Windows or Linux point of view X: or /mnt/media/Kindle).

After that, copy and install the hotfix. Once that's done, you can update to consumer firmware (currently 5.10.1.2).

Remember, you need coplate's KUAL build for the PW4 (link somewhere in this thread). The KUAL on NiLuJe Snapshot thread's first post just displays blank.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #165
knc1
Going Viral

@ilovejedd: Thanks for the additional detail.
These days my mind mostly draws a blank on/about details.

Tags
jailbreak, pw4