Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #136
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesko View Post
oh, i didnt realize that they pushed another one. they dont ship with that update right?

thanks for making sure i dont f up
Not yet, I think. Thus far, all my PW4s came with 5.10.0.2

PW4-32GB non-SO: T608, Amazon, pre-ordered 11/05, manufactured 10/28

PW4-8GB SO: PP08, Best Buy, bought 11/15, manufactured 10/10

PW4-32GB SO: T607, Amazon, ordered 11/18, manufactured 9/04

I kinda stocked up after the JB was discovered. Who knows if newer ones will still be jailbreakable by software.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-23-2018 at 11:19 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #137
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Today build of CoolReader declared to support PW4
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/....23_kindle.zip
No - Sergey tries "to investigate and fix it in a few days".
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #138
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Plus, your "info box" in the left column claims you only own a K4.

The bridge is viral, it auto-reinstalls following any Amazon update.
So your safe until Lab126 defeats the virus.

Also, you do not have any choice but to update to the currently posted firmware for the PW4 - it is your only choice and none of our things here are intended run on the factory's Q.C. firmware.
Yeah just updated my info. So, since i've jb correctly and installed the bridge, should i remove the folder to block the update and update to the current new version? Since i'm still on 5.10.0.1
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #139
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
Yeah just updated my info. So, since i've jb correctly and installed the bridge, should i remove the folder to block the update and update to the current new version? Since i'm still on 5.10.0.1
Leave the blocking directory alone.
Just download the current firmware from Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #140
ktos35l
ktos35l began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the following KOReader versions:
- koreader-kindle-legacy-arm-kindle-linux ...
- koreader-kindle-arm-kindle5-linux
- koreader-kindlepw2-arm-kindlepw2-linux-
None of them works in my PW4 - I can see KOReader in KUAL but when I open PDF file - there is no sign of KOReader working.

As I have tried many of those versons, I wonder if I am doing right the switch. I am deleting old Koreader directories in PW4 and copy new ones. Maybe there is flaw in it?

I have to admit that in my PW3 I had hard time finding working KOReader as well. The one that worked was koreader-kindle-arm-linux-gnueabi-v2015.11-533-g1d2150c.zip from 2015.

Can you please help me find the issue?
ktos35l is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #141
ktos35l

One more question:
Do I need to install thu MRPI “update_kpvbooklet_xxx_install.bin” after KUALBooklet update? Maybe this step was no necessary and created my problem.

If not, then how can I reverse it? Reinstall KUALBooklet?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #142
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Leave the blocking directory alone.
Just download the current firmware from Amazon.
Ok so just updated: i noticed the word bridge while rebooting, i think all worked well... But Kual doesn't work anymore... What did i do wrong? Do I have to reinstall it ?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #143
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kript96: You'll have to reinstall basically everything except the JB after a FW update.

@ktos35l: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hich-do-i-pick && http://build.koreader.rocks/download/README (Spoiler: Pick PW2).

Launch KOReader through KUAL, don't try to open PDFs in the Kindle's UI.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #144
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktos35l View Post
Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the following KOReader versions:
- koreader-kindle-legacy-arm-kindle-linux ...
- koreader-kindle-arm-kindle5-linux
- koreader-kindlepw2-arm-kindlepw2-linux-
None of them works in my PW4 - I can see KOReader in KUAL but when I open PDF file - there is no sign of KOReader working.

As I have tried many of those versons, I wonder if I am doing right the switch. I am deleting old Koreader directories in PW4 and copy new ones. Maybe there is flaw in it?

I have to admit that in my PW3 I had hard time finding working KOReader as well. The one that worked was koreader-kindle-arm-linux-gnueabi-v2015.11-533-g1d2150c.zip from 2015.

Can you please help me find the issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You need a newer nightly build. Use the kindlepw2 version.

http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/
I just installed KOReader on my PW4 a couple of days ago so I'm using this:
koreader-kindlepw2-arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi-v2018.11.1-34-g3c6c15e_2018-11-21.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
Ok so just updated: i noticed the word bridge while rebooting, i think all worked well... But Kual doesn't work anymore... What did i do wrong? Do I have to reinstall it ?
Don't use KUAL from NiLuJe's snapshot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
PSA for PW4

Need to use KUAL booklet from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=304
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #145
kript96
Enthusiast

Thanks for that KUAL, all working now
Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #146
ktos35l

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kript96: You'll have to reinstall basically everything except the JB after a FW update.

@ktos35l: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hich-do-i-pick && http://build.koreader.rocks/download/README (Spoiler: Pick PW2).

Launch KOReader through KUAL, don't try to open PDFs in the Kindle's UI.
Many thanks for your help. Finally some stuff became clear to me.
However, I cannot find which option to use to open Koreader (ASAP, null or no framework). No framework is for old versions I suppose but ASAP?

Is there any tutorial explaining the meaning of the vast number of Koreader menu choices?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #147
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Many thanks for your help. Finally some stuff became clear to me.
However, I cannot find which option to use to open Koreader (ASAP, null or no framework). No framework is for old versions I suppose but ASAP?

Is there any tutorial explaining the meaning of the vast number of Koreader menu choices?
It should not do any harm to try each of them and then use the one you like.

All 5.x models have a "framework".
Older models have a keyboard, which (used to) require a special version of the reader. I wrote "used to" because I am not sure if the current KOreader has included keyboard device support.

Do not use KPVbooklet (don't even try to install it) since the database tables involved have probably changed.
When, if ever, somebody who loves undocumented SQL will check/fix that application.
Oh, what does it do?
That is the interface addition that picks the intended/preferred reader for the type of book just selected (by a tap).

PS: If you already tried to install KPVbooklet, just leave it alone, since that application has never been able to do a clean un-install (install does not keep a backup of the db tables before it changes them).
Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #148
ktos35l

Quote:
It should not do any harm to try each of them and then use the one you like.
Oh, what does it do?
That is the interface addition that picks the intended/preferred reader for the type of book just selected (by a tap).
I may miss something but this app does a great deal for me. It launches automatically Koreader for pdf books. If you have 100 of books and no idea on which page KUAL is then it does make a difference. How do you use it? Is there a way to have KUAL on the first page permanently so I can easily access it every time w/o searching dozen of pages?

I do not want also to have KoReader always up because I prefer Amazon's dicts for non-pdf books.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #149
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I may miss something but this app does a great deal for me. It launches automatically Koreader for pdf books. If you have 100 of books and no idea on which page KUAL is then it does make a difference. How do you use it? Is there a way to have KUAL on the first page permanently so I can easily access it every time w/o searching dozen of pages?

I do not want also to have KoReader always up because I prefer Amazon's dicts for non-pdf books.
I just search for KUAL. Searching is very quick.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #150
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
One more question:
Do I need to install thu MRPI “update_kpvbooklet_xxx_install.bin” after KUALBooklet update? Maybe this step was no necessary and created my problem.

If not, then how can I reverse it? Reinstall KUALBooklet?
That post reads as if you where uncertain as to what each of those do.

They are not related (other than using the "Booklet" Java interface, the main page of the Kindle system is also a "Booklet").

KUALBooklet is named that way to distingusih it from the KUAL Document. The "Booklet" version is required on any Kindle model/firmware version that no longer supports "Active Documents".
Just like the KUAL Document, it is the application which provides the KUAL menu display.

KPVBooklet is the reader interface extension.
The purpose is to open the selected book in the intended/preferred reader based on the mime type.
The Kindle system has a less general purpose version of the reader/book mime type interface than what we provide.

Tags
jailbreak, pw4