Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
There are huge differences in costs between a physical book and ebook ... and I'm not just talking manufacture here. There is transport, shipping, storage all over the place. Then damages, errors, preferential display costs. Eventual dumping, burning or sales markdowns. Then of course the huge secondhand book market that the author or publisher makes no benefit from. And the list goes on. There is lending, from which other things can flow on. etc etc.
Immaterial. I simply don't care about the differences in costs. They don't alter my enjoyment. You're also ignoring the things about ebooks that I value more than physical books. Things that make ebooks worth more to me than physical books. And more than the price of a movie ... and more than the price of a good meal at a restaurant ... and more than a pair of cheap sunglasses ... and more than a four-pack of good Milk Stout ... and more than a bluetooth mouse ... and ... you get the picture.

Quote:
We are often being done like a dog's dinner by unscrupulous publishers.
Maybe you are. But I've never once felt taken advantage of by a publisher from the time I learned to read, or from the time I started buying my own books. The enjoyment I got from every single book that I've read and loved was worth way more than the price I payed for the experience. I would have quit reading for pleasure a long time ago, otherwise.

So wage your pointless "war." I'm going to buy a book.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2017 at 11:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #62
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Maybe you are.
Definitely, and not just me alone.
Not all of us, the majority I would say, are as well off as you appear to be.

This is where perhaps you declare how affluent you are, etc.

Quote:
So wage your pointless "war."
Pointless to you perhaps.

Quote:
I'm going to buy a book.
Goodo. Enjoy!
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Pointless to you perhaps.

Goodo. Enjoy!
In context, your use of affluent is confusing me. I do not see how anything Diap said makes him either affluent or poor.

He apparently buys ebooks rather than pbooks so why would he be concerned with the price of something he isn't going to use.

Oh and I have never been made to feel like a dog's dinner either.
Plain and simple with the exception of two items if I don't like a price of something, I don't buy it. The exceptions are two things one really can't do without. (Well the second one guys could live without).
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

"He values (e)books. He must be rich."
Oh the irony.

This is where perhaps you pretend how more enlightened you are.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-21-2017 at 06:31 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #65
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"He values (e)books. He must be rich."
Oh the irony.

This is where perhaps you pretend how more enlightened you are.
My translation was 'He can afford to not care about price, he must be well off.' (although I suppose it could also mean that he desires to own fewer books then I do)

As someone who's never been able to afford full price for all the books I'd like to own I can't quite understand not caring about book prices. I'm still adjusting to the fact that between $1.99 sales and various freebies, I can afford to own more ebooks worth reading then I actually have time to read.

Before ebooks I never had to consider if I'd actually have time to read a book (just desirability, cost and space)
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
My translation was 'He can afford to not care about price, he must be well off.' (although I suppose it could also mean that he desires to own fewer books then I do)

As someone who's never been able to afford full price for all the books I'd like to own I can't quite understand not caring about book prices. I'm still adjusting to the fact that between $1.99 sales and various freebies, I can afford to own more ebooks worth reading then I actually have time to read.

Before ebooks I never had to consider if I'd actually have time to read a book (just desirability, cost and space)
I read the post quite differently.
I read it as "I only look at the ebook price and if I can afford it or it is in my desired price range, I will buy it."
He only said he doesn't look at the pbook price, not that he doesn't look at the ebook price.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #67
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
One of my earlier posts in this topic, tells you exactly what the Aussie price is ... somewhere in the $16-17 range currently I believe.

The tax for you is included in that $7.88 USD, just like the tax for me is included in the $12.99 USD.

Check out my links in first topic, that should make it all clear to you.
Actually, in the US the tax is never included in the list price. When I look at a book in the Kindle store, it will show me a price, such as $9.99, and when I buy it, I will actually be charged $10.09, because there was $0.10 sales tax on the book in my state.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-07-21 16.11.10.png
Views:	161
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	158032  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #68
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, in the US the tax is never included in the list price. When I look at a book in the Kindle store, it will show me a price, such as $9.99, and when I buy it, I will actually be charged $10.09, because there was $0.10 sales tax on the book in my state.

Shari
Move to New Hampshire. If you buy enough books, you'll save so much money on no sales tax that you'll be rich before you know it
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #69
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
The last time I felt like a dog's dinner was when I was in college and had to buy outrageously expensive text books. That was a very long time ago. Since then I've always had a choice. Buy/borrow/read/not read, I live with and enjoy my choices.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #70
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Bill Gates couldn't afford the list price for all the books I'd like to own.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #71
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Bill Gates couldn't afford the list price for all the books I'd like to own.
I love this.
Now not at you but one final thought.

Why shouldn't a publisher set a price that most people will pay?

Personally if 9 out of 10 people would willing pay the price I set, then I am not going to worry about lowering my price for the one. $13 times 9 is 117. 10 times 10 is 100. I wouldn't want to lose money.

Just a final thought: if enough people are willing to pay the price, it isn't worth it to lower the price to please the ones that think it should be cheaper.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-22-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 AM   #72
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Personally if 9 out of 10 people would willing pay the price I set, then I am not going to worry about lowering my price for the one. $13 times 9 is 117. 10 times 10 is 100. I wouldn't want to lose money.
It all depends on the numbers, though, doesn't it? Here are some real life stats and opinions on the topic:

http://observer.com/2015/09/do-e-boo...-lower-prices/

Quote:
" For every copy an e-book would sell at $14.99, it would sell 1.74 copies if priced at $9.99. So, for example, if customers would buy 100,000 copies of a particular e-book at $14.99, then customers would buy 174,000 copies of that same e-book at $9.99. Total revenue at $14.99 would be $1,499,000. Total revenue at $9.99 is $1,738,000.

Smashwords, the online retail giant’s little baby brother, made a similar point on its blog."
[...]
“At $5.00 I sell about 50 e-books a month, but at $2.99 I sell about 120 e-books a month. Consequently, my profit is greater when I price my e-books at $2.99.”
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #73
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It all depends on the numbers, though, doesn't it? Here are some real life stats and opinions on the topic:

http://observer.com/2015/09/do-e-boo...-lower-prices/
Oh yes, Smashwords. The indie author only bookstore.
I have seen that post before. Note: that $5 is an indie author. It was also made before July 2015. All it proved was people don't think Indie authors are worth much.

Yes, their data is great for the indies, but does not reflect all publishers.

I do believe the OP's complaint was about the big 5.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #74
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I love this.
Now not at you but one final thought.

Why shouldn't a publisher set a price that most people will pay?

Just a final thought: if enough people are willing to pay the price, it isn't worth it to lower the price to please the ones that think it should be cheaper.
As pointed out in the price poll thread it might be worth it to lower the price *temporarily* after the first wave of buyers.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
As pointed out in the price poll thread it might be worth it to lower the price *temporarily* after the first wave of buyers.
The traditional pricing model used by mainstream publishers is to offer the ebook at a high price when the initial hardback is released, and then to lower the price considerably when the MMPB comes out six months or a year later, so the price is usually lowered - permanently, rather than temporarily - after the first wave of buyers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote