Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
MHaensel
MHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch (K5)
Use KuBrick to install 5.0.0 in Kindle Touch?

To make a long story short: Kubrick worked to restore my Kindle Touch back to 5.1.2, many thanks to ixtab!

Now I'd really like to go back to 5.0.0, the version that shipped on my kindle. I've downloaded diagnostic images, which are gzipped .img files. (Specifically, kt_5.0.0-mmcblk0p1-main.img.gz and
kt_5.0.0-kernel_main.gz).

My thought is: the Kubrick LiveCD has all the tools and scripts needed for flashing already in place. Is there a way for me to point Kubrick at these images and tell it to put the older version on the Kindle? Or a way to use it to simplify some of the steps of reflashing?
MHaensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaensel View Post
To make a long story short:
- - - - -
Or a way to use it to simplify some of the steps of reflashing?
Yes - just use Kubrick's command line interface.
There are only about three commands to be issued -
use fastboot to re-flash the main kernel -
set the boot mode to diags -
boot in diags and copy the main image file to the Kindle -
set the boot mode to main and re-boot
(All should be documented in the original debricking thread - accessiable from our "where do I start?" sticky thread.)

Hmm... alt-f4 I think is the escape from the gui (it is documented here, somewhere).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
MHaensel
MHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheeseMHaensel can extract oil from cheese

Thank you! It took more effort than expected, but it did work, and I'm happy to finally have my Kindle back the way it was when it came out of the box.

I'm listing my steps here in hopes it can help others who want to take their Kindle Touch back to stock. I'm sure there are steps that can be combined or rearranged to make it more simple, but ultimately this worked for me.

1. Modify Kubrick ISO to add kt_5.0.0-kernel.img and kt_5.0.0-mmcblk0p1-main.img to /kubrick
This is the same directory as the fastboot command
2. Burn ISO to CD/DVD
3. Boot Kubrick
4. Follow on-screen prompts until the Kindle is configured for FastBoot.
The main screen will say: "Putting device into Fastboot Mode", "Press NEXT once your Kindle is in Fastboot mode", and the mid-screen indicator will be a green bar that says "Device ready".
5. Press ALT-F4 to open a command prompt
6. Login root, no password
7. cd /media/cdrom/kubrick
8. Use fastboot to re-flash the main kernel
./fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
9. Set the boot mode to diags (why?)
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
./fastboot reboot
10. Boot into diagnostic screen
1. N) U) Z) X) on Kindle screen
2. Wait 20 seconds for dropbear to startup.
11. Copy main image file to the Kindle
1. ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
2. ssh root@192.168.15.244
3. Password mario
4. Alt-F3 to open another command prompt
5. Login root for Kubrick, no password
6. cd /media/cdrom/kubrick
7. scp kt_5.0.0-mmcblk0p1-main.img root@192.168.15.244:/mnt/us
Takes about three minutes
12. Reimage main partition
1. Alt-F4 to switch back to Kindle SSH prompt
2. dd if=/mnt/us/kt-50.0-mmcblk0p1-main.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4k
Takes about three minutes
13. In Kubrik, <Cancel>, and then continue Kubrick wizard from beginning to get Kindle back into fastboot mode
1. Do reboot kindle by holding down the power/home buttons as instructed
2. Screen will be back at step 4 about, "Putting device into fastboot mode"
14. Set the boot mode to main and re-boot
1. Alt-F3 for Kubrick command prompt
2. ./fastboot setvar bootmode main
3. ./fastboot reboot
Thanks again to knc1, ixtab, and others who made this possible.

Last edited by MHaensel; 02-11-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
9. Set the boot mode to diags (why?) ./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
./fastboot reboot
Because the main image is larger than the file size which fastboot can transfer -
*and*
You don't want to be re-writing the system image that is being executed.

So at this point, you take advantage of the Kindle being a dual-system boot device and run the system image that isn't being written to.

- - - - -

PS: Nice list, did you index that post in the Wiki index system?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
MHaensel

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
. . . did you index that post in the Wiki index system?
That sentence is in English, and I know what those words mean separately, but I don't really know what they mean put together. This site has a Wiki index? I explored the "Wiki" link above but didn't find an index, I probably missed it.

I found a thread that seems applicable, but it's not mine to edit.
Advert
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Forum top -> Sticky Threads -> "Where do I start?" -> K5 Index
Old 02-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
MHaensel

Done. You've been a great help - the forum is lucky to have you. Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaensel View Post
Done.
Super! (en_IBM)

Another informative post not to become lost among the millions of posts here.