Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a really, REALLY bad idea. You don't want to keep out "external noise" if you're driving a car. You need to be aware of what's going on around you, and noise is an important point of that.

If you were to wear headphones while driving a car in the UK you'd be stopped by the police and almost certainly charged with "driving without due care and attention".
So is it illegal for a deaf person to drive in the UK?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #47
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I suffer from shocking motion sickness. Any car trip of more than 10 minutes means I have to take anti nausea meds. I can not even read street signs with meds LOL Funny enough we went on a cruise a few years afo. They had the worst weather ever on the boat coming around the bottom of Australia. I took my anti nausea meds just incase. I read a book while stuck in the cabin with no problems at all.
My husband is now an avid fan of audio books and drives a lot for his work. He listens to them while driving.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
You mean for the same reason that deaf people cannot fly? You are not allowed to wear headphones when taking off when flying.

Or maybe there is some faulty logic here...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #49
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Shari
One, it's different to be accustomed to functioning with out the sense all the time, then to be accustomed to having it then temporarily depriving yourself of it at a time when your attention is greatly needed.

Similarly, a blind person can likely walk around the street far better than a sighted person with their eyes closed.

Two, some states in the US do have some special requirement for deaf drivers, usually dependent on how well the person pays attention during the driving test. The state can require special mirror arrangements, and in some cases can just deny the license.

Don't wear headphones while driving please.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Or maybe there is some faulty logic here...
No, it's 'reasonable accommodation.'
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #51
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I have always been able to read in the car--ever since I was old enough to read! And if I'm driving, I listen to an audible book, or some type of talk radio (usually NPR). I apparently get bored in the car

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Shari
I don't know about deaf people and driving but there are concerns I believe if someone is prone to seizures or is color blind. I myself don't drive because 1. having a car is tough on a limited income and 2. I'm diabetic and wouldn't want to be behind the wheel and have a low blood sugar incident. Some things a person can't help (like being deaf) but to intentionally make yourself unable to hear sounds in the environment around you while driving (by having headphones on) is quite another.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I can't read a book in a car, but I am fine with an ereader. Perhaps the bigger font makes a difference.
I get motion sickness from reading in the car, but I found that setting the font ridiculously large reduces the nausea enough to be tolerable.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #54
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I can't/couldn't read pb books on anything, however, I can now read ebooks on the train, I haven't really tried to do so in a car yet, so I don't know if it's possible.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #55
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have no problems reading my Kindle in a car.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #56
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I only get motion sickness when going in and out of shade blocking the sun i.e. trees.

My son used to get motion sickness reading when he was younger. He found if he was under a blanket (and used some sort of light) he was fine.
I used to get full-on motion sickness, usually on 4-hour car trips, as a young child. When I grew out of that as an adolescent, I found I didn't get it at all even while reading. That changed again about the time of my first pregnancy, when I started getting it again. I have found I *can* usually read in the car if the light is not flickering and my stomach in full. But with flickering light and an empty stomach...I usually find I can last about an hour before I start to feel pretty bad. Usually I just have to stop reading, though. I don't throw up anymore like I did as a kid. It doesn't matter if it is an ebook or not. It is the act of reading (also other things involving a lot of visual involvement like playing a game on my smartphone). And only in a car--bus, train, plane etc. are fine.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #57
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Harry, I said the headphones kept out a lot of the external noise. Not all of it. With an MGB that's a very good thing, and enables me to hear the audiobook. Now, the noise cancelling ones I use when flying make things MUCH quieter. Frankly, I don't see a problem here. Without the headphones in the car all I can hear is engine, nothing outside...but I have eyes, much mre use when driving.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #58
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I must be lucky as I have never had any problem reading anything (book, magazine, e-reader, etc.) on any vehicle, whether front seat or back seat.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #59
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No, it's 'reasonable accommodation.'
Exactly. The faulty logic was in the reasoning I commented. Just because a hearing person is required to listen to the environment it does not lead to that this has to hold for a non-hearing person.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #60
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
http://lifehacker.com/5902802/ever-w...-youre-driving You can click on the link part way down the page to bring up a list of states/legal status.
And quite frankly, I hear people with their stereos blasting way way louder than I EVER play audio books in my headphones. I can easily hear what is going on around me with my headphones in, no way those people with the blasting music can!! If I can hear their music in my car, how much can they be hearing?? Shoot, I can hear some people's music in my HOUSE as they drive by!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote