Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
tedmorgan
tedmorgan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Unhappy Anyone else get motion sick when trying to read ebook in a car?

I can't read for more than a minute or two without starting to feel nauseas when in a car. Anyone else have that problem? I have an hour a day in the car that I would love to be reading instead of doing nothing
tedmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try audio books or radio plays. Trying to read anything in a car - pbooks or ebooks - is a sure recipe for motion sickness for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmorgan View Post
I can't read for more than a minute or two without starting to feel nauseas when in a car. Anyone else have that problem? I have an hour a day in the car that I would love to be reading instead of doing nothing
Certainly. Nothing to do with it being an eBook as opposed to any other kind of book.
I can't do any sort of head down reading in a car without getting sick.*

Audio books, baby. Audio books are a car commuter's best friend.

*Unless I'm driving. Then I expect I'd crash long before the motion sickness set in.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've had the same problem myself. You're not alone in that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Curiously, though, I can read in trains and aeroplanes without any problems at all. I don't know why there should be a difference, but there is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Curiously, though, I can read in trains and aeroplanes without any problems at all. I don't know why there should be a difference, but there is.
Same here. I believe it is a combination of fewer turns and less conflicting visual input.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Less turns, centrifugal force scuppers your inner ear if your not looking at a point of reference, theoretically you should be able to read in a car if it's a dead straight road without many accelleration changes.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't read in moving vehicles; it makes me dizzy. My format of choice is audio.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
*Unless I'm driving. Then I expect I'd crash long before the motion sickness set in.
Cruise control
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I believe it is a fairly common problem. I know it is for me! I don't even try to read in a car. And we were recently on a 1,200 mile road trip and it was sure tempting with the boring scenery on the turnpikes! But not worth the inevitable headache/nausea.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Same here. I believe it is a combination of fewer turns and less conflicting visual input.
Or maybe it's the gentle swaying of trains in motion. Plus they are constant in their speed unlike a car or bus.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmorgan View Post
I can sympathize, as I had 24 hr motion sickness for 17 weeks during both my pregnancies.

Inside of a car, I was miserable - nothing helped except not eating beforehand and keeping a bag handy. Luckily, DH did all the driving both pregnancies. Unluckily, he hates noise when he drives, so audio books were not an option for distraction.

Outside of the car, I stayed VERY still and read a lot on my Treo. Special thanks to the Patricia Clark Memorial Library for keeping my Treo stocked during these horrendous periods.

I'm back to e-reading in the car now, as DH still prefers quiet. The Sony Reader is an important contributor to marital harmony and less stressful commutes.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I used to not be able to read in cars at all. Then we got 4WD bit bigger trucks (like Jimmies or Blazers) that aren't as smooth riding (ok, bouncier) and in those, or in vans, I have zero problems and I can read for 12 hours straight. For me, the smoother the car ride is when I can't read.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Luckily, DH did all the driving both pregnancies. Unluckily, he hates noise when he drives, so audio books were not an option for distraction.
Why didn't you use headphones??
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I never had issues with motion sickness and reading, then I met Halifax bus drivers. There must be a section in their training on how to induce motion sickness in passengers, because a lot of the drivers can induce nausea when I try to read.