Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #28381
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Memory Man by David Baldacci. Not sure what's up next.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #28382
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just began Gregory Mankiw's Principles of Macroeconomics. It's lucid and approachable, yet it's not patronizing in tenor. It is quite thought-provoking, too. However, I wish this was written more in the style of non-fiction (it's in the textbook format). This is just a personal preference, though.
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #28383
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Re-Read Mary Robinette Kowal's "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" short story and then went right into The Calculating Stars. I enjoyed it so much that I read a third of it in one sitting.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #28384
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm first going to do a little palate cleansing via K.J. Parker's latest release: Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.

Should be fun. It's my first K.J. Parker book since his real identity--Tom Holt--was revealed (a secret that was kept for seventeen years!).
There's rumors that this book might be the beginning of a new series, but it doesn't matter. The ending of this otherwise wildly entertaining work was complete and utter crap. The wheels simply fell off the bus. The best followup in the world wouldn't be able to change that. This from a long time Parker fan.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #28385
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Re-Read Mary Robinette Kowal's "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" short story and then went right into The Calculating Stars. I enjoyed it so much that I read a third of it in one sitting.
The Calculating Stars is one I have really wanted to nominate for the NLBC
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 AM   #28386
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So, why haven't you? I'm sure we can make it fit into one of the categories!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #28387
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It wasn't old/inexpensive enough until recently. Now just waiting for an appropriate category.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #28388
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It wasn't old/inexpensive enough until recently. Now just waiting for an appropriate category.
Well, not September, certainly, but I'll certainly give it a second when you decide to do it.

For my own reading right now, I'm well along through a re-read of comfort books. In this case, the Liaden Universe series. I'm at #19, Alliance of Equals. Not my favourite, but still very much enjoyable. And no stress -- honestly, I've had enough stress the last 3 months, so that's why the choice to re-read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #28389
HudsonSpike
HudsonSpike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD10
Lightbulb Excellent New Sherlock Holmes stories

Just finished 2 very good books on Holmes by Lyndsay Faye, Dust and Shadow and The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. Both are excellently written and very enjoyable.
Also just finished, Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Poisoned Lilly by Roger Riccard. Am in the midst of Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Twain Papers by Riccard also, and it's better than I expected.
I guess I'm having a Sherlock Holmes summer reading fest.
HudsonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #28390
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Last week I read a paperback I've had for years: Ruth Reichl's first memoir, Tender at the Bone. I put a hold on the digital version of Comfort Me with Apples early this week and did not expect it to become available so soon, but I just started reading last night. I feel as if I know too much about her life now! Nice breezy summer read.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:50 AM   #28391
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Asimov's Sf Magazine for July/August 2019.
And a very good selection of stories is was. Most enjoyable.

And now I'm reading "A Fistful of Elven Gold" by Alex Stewart.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #28392
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I finished Memory Man by David Baldacci. Not sure what's up next.
Any good?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #28393
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And a very good selection of stories is was. Most enjoyable.

And now I'm reading "A Fistful of Elven Gold" by Alex Stewart.
Which was OK. But not good enough for me to look out for more from this author.

Next up: Grantville Gazette #84
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #28394
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Any good?
It was a pretty good mystery. Definitely going to read the next book. Especially since I bought the whole series. (on sale)

(Now reading That Night by Chevy Stevens.)
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #28395
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Should be fun. It's my first K.J. Parker book since his real identity--Tom Holt--was revealed (a secret that was kept for seventeen years!).
Wow! Really? I've been a long-time Tom Holt fan and I had no idea he'd written under another name (pseudonym?). Thanks for this.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote