Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #91
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheLine View Post
Thanks. Was it just one that needed to be blocked? & does anyone know if the reason 5.12+ sneaks updates is because they changed that?
As far as I know, it's because code has been added to remove the .tmp.partial directory if existing, but I might not be up to date.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #92
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheLine View Post
Thanks. Was it just one that needed to be blocked? & does anyone know if the reason 5.12+ sneaks updates is because they changed that?
You can always safely figure it out by disconnecting your router from the Internet, and then forcing an update check on the Kindle.

After that, just look at the logs on your DNS server and set those hosts to 127.0.0.1 in the Kindle hosts file.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #93
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
You can always safely figure it out by disconnecting your router from the Internet, and then forcing an update check on the Kindle.

After that, just look at the logs on your DNS server and set those hosts to 127.0.0.1 in the Kindle hosts file.
If it's only a single one then yes. I could do that. But if it's a randomized list, which a lot of those types of things use, then I would just have 1 key blocked & not know how many locks there are that are still open until one slips past it.
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:45 PM   #94
vvvad
vvvad began at the beginning.

Device: pw 11 se
I tried the fake registration with pw 5 16.2.1 + lipc + hosts and it did indeed get stuck in a loop on restart framework. It would not budge at attempting to connect over the wifi (i have airplane on), to the point where syslog was taking 20% of cpu. After removing the reg file it restarted fine
vvvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #95
vvvad
vvvad began at the beginning.

Device: pw 11 se
With airplane off but wifi not connected it doesn't get stuck in an apparent loop but never finishes successfully restarting, and manages to for example lose the serial number (exceptions about sn being unknown) after removing the file and restarting framework, until reboot.

Not brave enough to do much more experimenting given the apparent un-unbrickability of the device.
vvvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #96
Mob201503
Mob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW3 (7th Gen), Android apps (KOReader, Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore.
Reboots automatically, no need to kill the processes manually.
Hi there,

I recently got LanguageBreak working on my PW3 running 5.16.2.1.1, and am having a whale of an ereading time with KOReader, thanks to all you smart cookies here in mobileread Kindle Developer's Corner.

My sole concern is the risk of the Kindle unwantedly being updated, and losing LanguageBreak / KUAL / KOreader.

I have renameotabin installed and it seems to be doing its job fine since installing LanguageBreak at the end of last month.

In KOreader, I try to always switch Wifi on only when needed, but sometimes forget to switch it off and might not discover this until the next day. So far, there's been no calamity, and "Update Your Kindle" has remained constantly greyed out since initial install of LanguageBreak & renameotabin.

But I remain concerned.

I know renameotabin comes with no warranty, and that there been issues with particular devices. But for my peace of mind, can someone please clarify a few things for about how renameotabin works?

1) I monitor the Kindle fairly regularly for unwanted partial bin files, but if these are somehow being downloaded in the background, where (to which folder) exactly would they be getting downloaded and would I be seeing them? Directly to the root folder that contains for example the "documents", "extensions" and "koreader" folders? Would they be hidden files and would I therefore need to show hidden files in Windows to see them?

2) Is it sufficient to run "Rename" in Rename OTA binaries in KUAL just one time after initially installing the renameotabin extension, or is it necessary to hit "Rename" here again each time you reboot the Kindle?

3) I prefer using KOReader (no framework) in KUAL as it feels snappier than standard KOReader given the extra RAM it commands. But using 'no framework' reboots the Kindle, both on entering 'no framework' mode and on exiting back to Kindle OS. So whilst using KOReader in 'no framework mode, is the Kindle OS completely dormant/disabled until the device is rebooted, or is the Kindle OS still operating in the background in parallel to KUAL, and could it be downloading bin files (in the background), that could theoretically then be installed on rebooting into the Kindle from 'no framework' mode, in the unfortunate if unlikely event of a of a problem in renameotabin?

I know these concerns probably verge on the paranoid to most users of this forum, and certainly expose my complete lack of knowledge of / familiarity with how these methods and extensions actually work and interact with the Kindle.

Would appreciate a light shed though.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mob201503; 02-03-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Mob201503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:28 PM   #97
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob201503 View Post
how renameotabin works?
How Rename button in renameotabin extension by @hius07 works

The following files will be renamed:
• /usr/bin/otaupd --> /usr/bin/otaupd.bak
• /usr/bin/otav3 --> /usr/bin/otav3.bak

As you might have noticed, the suffix .bak has been added to the binary files.

Warning!:
• UYK (Update Your Kindle) will stop working.
• You will not be able to update your Kindle via UYK.

BinaryRenamer AD:

Spoiler:
Consider using BinaryRenamer! it does the same thing as renameotabin.

When you select the Block OTA Updates button, it turns to Restore OTA Updates
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:36 PM   #98
Mob201503
Mob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviteusz View Post
How Rename button in renameotabin extension by @hius07 works

The following files will be renamed:
• /usr/bin/otaupd --> /usr/bin/otaupd.bak
• /usr/bin/otav3 --> /usr/bin/otav3.bak

As you might have noticed, the suffix .bak has been added to the binary files.
Thanks for replying.

otaupd & otav3 are showing as "otaupd.bck" and "otav3.bck". Did renameotabin rename them to .bck in my case rather than .bak for some reason?

I viewed the usr/bin folder in KOReader's file browser. Is there an easier way to view the contents of mnt/us on Windows other than USB Networking? I'm a bit of a newbie.

By the way, KPPCrashLogsRemover & MobileRead.com Dark are both really helpful.

-

EDIT: typo, remain to rename

Last edited by Mob201503; 01-28-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:41 PM   #99
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
"/mnt/us" is what you see as removable drive when you connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:05 PM   #100
Mob201503

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
"/mnt/us" is what you see as removable drive when you connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable.
You're right, sorry, I meant is there an easier way to view the contents of that deeper root or system folder on the Kindle where you find the usr/bin folder, other than USB Networking?
Old 01-28-2024, 12:08 PM   #101
Mob201503

Quote:
You're right, sorry, I meant is there an easier way to view the contents of that deeper root or system folder on the Kindle where you find the usr/bin folder, other than USB Networking?
To pre-empt any answer to my question, my assumption would be that there is no easier way, and that it's for a reason those files & folders are largely kept safely out of interference's way in those deep folders.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #102
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
Quote:
otaupd & otav3 are showing as "otaupd.bck" and "otav3.bck". Did renameotabin rename them to .bck in my case rather than .bak for some reason?
I don't know exactly to which names renameotabin renames these files, so if you checked that, then .bck is the correct answer.

Quote:
Is there an easier way to view the contents of that deeper root or system folder on the Kindle where you find the usr/bin folder, other than USB Networking?
SSH over WiFi via usbnetwork or koreader.

A less comfortable method is to use the kterm or koreader terminal emulator

Last edited by Daviteusz; 01-28-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #103
Mob201503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviteusz View Post
I don't know exactly to which names renameotabin renames these files, so if you checked that, then .bck is the correct answer.

SSH over WiFi via usbnetwork or koreader.

A less comfortable method is to use the kterm or koreader terminal emulator
Thank you. I might look into SSH over WiFi via usbnetwork then, but being able to check this in koreader is enough really.

Tags
renameotabin, update blocker