Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
The case is more important that the reader...

My wife has a Nook Glowlight 3. The MicroUSB port on it stopped charging reliably and none of the quick fix methods on it worked.

Since she is a daily user of her ereader and I am only an occasional user, I gave her my 2021 Paperwhite to use. I thought she might appreciate the slightly larger screen size.

She has mentioned a few time that she still preferred her nook to the Kindle.

Well, today, I learned the truth of the matter.

It's not that she likes her nook better. It's that she like THE CASE on her nook better. Years ago I bought her a leather case from Oberon Design for one of the older nooks she had that didn't have Glowlilght. One year for Christmas I bought her a nook with Glowlight, which I thought she would love. She was pretty happy with it, till she found out it would not fit in the Oberon Design case.

At that point, Oberon Design only made cases for the Kindle. I reached out to them and they told me they could convert my existing case to use elastic bands instead of the leather straps that were in there for $25.00. I paid the money and then surprised her by putting it on her nook.

She was VERY happy.

So, I've now learned I can buy my wife any ereader, as long as I can get it to fit into an Oberon Deisgn case.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:47 AM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
This explains why the cases sometimes cost more than the devices! You'll see what I mean if you buy the least expensive Fire Tablet on Black Friday and then try to buy a case for it.

This was reinforced when I recently tried to buy a case for some pens and pencils. You know, a "pocket protector" that didn't look like a pocket protector. Since having one of those in your shirt pocket these days can get you beat up for being a nerd. All the cases were several times the cost of the pens and pencils I wanted to put in them.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
All the cases were several times the cost of the pens and pencils I wanted to put in them.
You're trying to protect the shirt, not the pen. How much do they cost compared to the price of shirts?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
You're trying to protect the shirt, not the pen. How much do they cost compared to the price of shirts?
Touché !
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I gave up on Nooks due to the weight of the reader and the finicky battery. However, if the wife really loves the reader+case, you might consider replacing the battery. There are videos on youtube describing the R&R process. The 1500AH battery connects to the reader with a plug, which makes the repair process far easier than fixing an Irex e-reader. Any reader loaded with DRM'ed books is an investment you do not want to go to waste. There are cell phone repair places that can probably handle the battery replacement operation for under $55 if you supply the battery. These fixit places are a modern day cottage industry.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I ended up getting her a new nook. The nook 4 is a nice upgrade to the nook 3. She really likes the new nook, but immediately asked me when she was getting a new Oberon Design case.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I love the new pink nook but yes a nice case goes a long way
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote