Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #28306
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm rereading the Harry Potter books

EDIT: I was reading a couple of books that can't be mentioned in this forum due to subject matter about the past few years in the US that were rather infuriating to me, I decided to go with something a little lighter

Last edited by binaryhermit; 05-28-2019 at 07:36 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #28307
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just finished A Killer in King's Cove, by Iona Wishaw, the first in her Lane Winslow series of British Columbia mysteries. Quite delightful, and quite unexpected. Set in 1946 in the remote Kootenays, in a small, fictitious community of King's Cove outside of the very real Nelson, BC, this was a solid 4 stars for me. Moving on to read the next in the series, Death in a Darkening Mist, in which the murder takes place at one of BC's many remote and rustic hot springs.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #28308
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Reading The Great Alone. Just when you think their situation couldn't get worse, it gets worse.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #28309
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Now, a warning in advance that I have Asperger's, so my tastes in books may be wilder than others.

^[O] indicates it's available on OverDrive, at least on my library's instance.
^[R] indicates that me having borrowed a copy was intended to just be a subject for a private/personal research project that I'm doing, that does involve e-books, but I ended up reading a little bit more.

Books I'm actually reading (not all of them at once, though)
  • Dami Lee – Be Everything At Once ^[O]
  • Dav Pilkey – Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild ^[O]^[R]
  • Charles Brubaker – The Fuzzy Princess - Volume 1 (2019 colour edition)
  • Aron Nels Steinke – Mr Wolf's Class ^[O]^[R]
  • Steve Ogden – Life Is Just a Series Of Naps and Snacks: The Definitive Magnificatz Collection #1
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #28310
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: [EDIT] Mr Midshipman Hornblower.
Which was delightful, as expected, but perhaps not the most exciting of the Hornblower series, being more of interest to those who already know him.

Next up: Contact by Carl Sagan.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #28311
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wanted to read Linda Nagata's newest book Edges, but it shares the same setting/premise as her much earlier Nanotech Succession series. So of course my compulsive nature won't let me start there. No matter how much the author insists that this latest book is a great "jumping on" point for new readers, I simply can't ignore that older series staring at me with its sad, puppy-dog eyes. So 1995's The Bohr Maker it is!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #28312
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Alan Hunter’s first book, Gently Does It, and it was a pleasant read. Did find it odd they didn’t use their cell phones or the internet while investigating a murder. Could it be because the book was written back in the 50’s?

Oh well, next up will be Demoltion Angel by Robert Crais, another bargain like the Gently books which was also on sale and mentioned here on MobileRead

Last edited by MickeyC; 05-30-2019 at 03:56 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #28313
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Starting "Wildside" by Steven Gould. Haven't finished by current book yet, but this is a paper copy that finally came available inter-library loan, so I've got to put my current book on temporary hiatus to read Wildside.

Storyline: Alternate Earth that was never populated by humans. Young Adult (that hasn't described me for several decades!) Sci-Fi. I don't mind YA novels if they are well written and entertaining.

Quote:
Eighteen-year-old Charlie Newell has inherited a farm from his uncle Max, and has plenty of ideas how to make money for college from it: In the barn, you see, is a tunnel with a gateway to an alternate world, the wildside, teeming with wildlife and bulging with mineral deposits, where humans never evolved.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #28314
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Life has led to disrupted reading time, but what I have read lately includes:

The Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden:

The Bear and the Nightingale : After start that felt a bit slow and awkward, I enjoyed this very much. A pleasing mythical tale set in medieval Russia, and since I knew nothing of Russian mythology it was all very new and intriguing. I liked the characters and it moved along at a good pace. I gave it 4/5. This first book can be read on its own without needing to go on if you don't want to ... but I wanted to.

The Girl in the Tower : Picks up straight from the first book and starts well, but then dragged for a while before ending really well. It lacked the novelty of the first book (for me), but was still an entertaining tale. I ended up giving this 4/5 as well.

The Winter of the Witch : It seemed to me that this book was not as smooth as the first two - but that may be due to events that really disrupted reading this book. It is certainly an interesting tale, and as explained by the author, a fantasy built with historically accurate events which added verisimilitude often lacking in such stores. I will refrain from scoring this until I read it again (I have liked the series enough that I expect to give it another read before too long).

I also read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - which we discussed over in the NLBC. A wonderful story, whatever your age. This is a 5/5 from me, and was from the first time I read it some years ago.

And then a short novella (29k words), An Etiquette Guide to the End Times by Maia Sepp. I had expected it to be funnier than it was - the humour is mostly dry and fairly subtle (or so I found it, humour is one of those personal taste things so YMMV). But as a post-apocalypse story I thought it was very good: with the world ending a whimper rather than a bang it felt quite disturbingly realistic. It is mostly quite gently told, and the lack of overt drama works to emphasise how the world has changed. There are some sentences that felt like YA romance, and these felt out of place in an otherwise well told and interesting story, but not much of that. Overall, I found this was very good, and I gave it 4/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #28315
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Contact by Carl Sagan.
Which was OK. A little waffly in places.

Next: Lieutenant Hornblower.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #28316
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
finished "dark matter" and already started "recursion" by Blake Crouch! So awesome!
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #28317
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've got the May issue of Rolling Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and a book that I'm not going to mention out of an abundance of caution other than to say it's a book on human sexuality going right now.

I've also got a couple other completely published series ("Dragon Chameleon" and "The Ruins of Mars") on the back burner right now.

Yay short attention span.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #28318
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So 1995's The Bohr Maker it is!
A little rough around the edges, but it's easy to see why it won Nagata a Locus for Best First Novel back in the day. Classic cyberpunk tropes (though "nano-punk" might be more appropriate), but just a little more accessible in my opinion than some of the more highly touted examples of the sub-genre.

After what felt like a ludicrous amount of online research, I've determined that the prequel volume was originally published between the first two volumes of the Nanotech Succession series proper. And since I am nothing if not a published-order creature by compulsion... Tech-Heaven is up next.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #28319
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Luck of the Draw by B.J. Daniels.

Now starting Star Trek: The Captain's Oath by Christopher l. Bennett.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #28320
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next: Lieutenant Hornblower.
Very good, and immediately followed by Hornblower and the Hotspur, which is where we first get his inner thoughts, and is splendid.

Edit: next up, The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths. A recent purchase.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.