Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To be clear: I have access to a prime account that *I* don't use.

One is my account that I've had since Amazon was only a book store. One is my better half's that was changed to prime due to her habit of ordering Christmas presents at the last minute. I continue to use my account, because it's what I'm used to and don't really take advantage of many of the Prime perks.

For the most part, if I order something from Amazon, I don't care if it arrives in 2 days or 5. I don't have an interest in a subscription book service. I don't watch videos on a mobile device. The "use slower shipping and receive e-book credit" was a PITA when I tried it.

We do have our smart blu-ray player connected to her account and watch Amazon video on the TV, but that's about it. If I need a new cable or something like that, I'll log in to her account to order it. Prime just isn't a big draw for me personally.
Unless you REALLY WANT the disincentive of not buying stuff if you don't hit the free buying threshold (like you're using it to tame impulse buying, which I TOTALLY get) then do you realize that Prime can be shared among family members automatically? So you could just get more value out of what your SO is spending anyway with a little side bonus of faster, free shipping, with no more effort or cost.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Unless you REALLY WANT the disincentive of not buying stuff if you don't hit the free buying threshold (like you're using it to tame impulse buying, which I TOTALLY get) then do you realize that Prime can be shared among family members automatically, so you could just get more value out of what your SO is spending and get a little side bonus of faster, free shipping, with no more effort or cost.
I realize that. Just don't care. I honestly don't buy that much stuff. I'm interested in downsizing. For the most part, I only buy e-books from Amazon.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Unless you REALLY WANT the disincentive of not buying stuff if you don't hit the free buying threshold (like you're using it to tame impulse buying, which I TOTALLY get) then do you realize that Prime can be shared among family members automatically?
Just for the experience, I just went and linked our Amazon accounts. I'm sure my wife will be stoked to have access to all my schlocky westerns
Old 02-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Just for the experience, I just went and linked our Amazon accounts. I'm sure my wife will be stoked to have access to all my schlocky westerns
Linking book accounts is separate and distinct from sharing a Prime account.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Heh. And that's why I no longer have Prime.

I used to have Prime which I shared with one of my sisters. I let it lapse and when I went to re-up I was horrified to find that to add her on, we'd have to share all our content and our shopping history. Just, no. We're close, but we're not that close.

It was one thing when I could amortize Prime over two people, but I couldn't justify it for just me. It's turned out to save me a boatload of money - the hundred bucks up front and then, like Zod, all the impulse purchases and rounding-up purchases I no longer made. I really don't miss it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Linking book accounts is separate and distinct from sharing a Prime account.
Okay Mr. Pedantic, I joined our accounts in the holy matrimony of an Amazon Household. We can now share certain benefits, including FREE Prime Shipping, Prime Video, other digital benefits, and exclusive offers. Other shareable Prime benefits include Photos Family Vault and Twitch Prime.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have a friend whose wife discovered how much he was spending via his private Amazon account, and he wound up in the dog house! It wasn't what he was buying, but how much he was spending. She now keeps the family's financial books and he gets allowances, even though he earns all the family's income!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have a friend whose wife discovered how much he was spending via his private Amazon account, and he wound up in the dog house! It wasn't what he was buying, but how much he was spending. She now keeps the family's financial books and he gets allowances, even though he earns all the family's income!
Oh, and what the wife does in support of her family and household isn't as worthy, eh?

Who brings home the paycheck is irrelevant.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
She now keeps the family's financial books and he gets allowances, even though he earns all the family's income!
That is likely for the best. Just because he can earn a pile of ca$h doesn't mean he is good at handling it.

My friend's brother earns a good income. But he also has a history as a job hopper and doesn't make good financial decisions. His stay at home wife has to keep him under some form of control to make sure they keep their house and car and take care of the kids.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Okay Mr. Pedantic, I joined our accounts in the holy matrimony of an Amazon Household. We can now share certain benefits, including FREE Prime Shipping, Prime Video, other digital benefits, and exclusive offers. Other shareable Prime benefits include Photos Family Vault and Twitch Prime.
You can link ebook accounts without linking Prime accounts or even having a Prime account.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, and what the wife does in support of her family and household isn't as worthy, eh?

Who brings home the paycheck is irrelevant.
I wasn't passing judgment at all, just stating what happened. I thought it was funny. Even he thought it was a good idea for her to do the books thereafter.

It is a shame we now live in such a crappy world that no one can say any thing without offending some one. Just saying...maybe we shouldn't project our own thoughts, experiences, biases, prejudices, et cetera into every thing others say.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It is a shame we now live in such a crappy world that no one can say any thing without offending some one. Just saying...maybe we shouldn't project our own thoughts, experiences, biases, prejudices, et cetera into every thing others say.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
You can link ebook accounts without linking Prime accounts or even having a Prime account.
Maybe so, but it isn't what we were talking about.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #29
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think the point was you can turn OFF library sharing but still get the shipping benefit, right?

On the impulse purchase thing, we saved for $25 orders for so long, we can't seem to break the habit. If we need batteries or something, they will sit in the Shopping Cart until one of us remembers that we have Prime and we don't need to stack orders for free shipping.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote