Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
shutting off?

Here comes another one of my dumb questions:
Since I have to finish reading a regular library book first before starting to read ebooks, I decided to shut the reader off for the duration.
Okay, it asked me if I was sure, I clicked yes, and now it sits there with a white screen. Shouldn't the screen be dark????

Gudrun
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
That's what it's supposed to look like when it's powered off. You're now looking at the blank screen (sheet of paper) minus the power that "prints" the black/gray characters or images for you to see.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post
Here comes another one of my dumb questions:
Since I have to finish reading a regular library book first before starting to read ebooks, I decided to shut the reader off for the duration.
Okay, it asked me if I was sure, I clicked yes, and now it sits there with a white screen. Shouldn't the screen be dark????

Gudrun
Nope, not a dumb question at all, just a "getting to know about your new e-ink device" sort of question.

An e-ink screen requires no power to hold an image, so Sony could have just as easily picked an all black screen, or even left a 'screen saver' type image on the screen if they wanted to, but I guess they decided that this would be even more confusing, so they just reset the screen to white.

If you are wondering how this works . . .

Electrophoric type e-ink screens use an ultra thin layer of microscopic pigment capsules in a semi-fluid medium. These micro e-ink capsules contain black and a white pigments which have been given a permanent electronic charge so that they can be moved around electronically to change pixels from light to dark, and back, dark to light.

Now, the really great thing is, once you move the little pigment particles around, THEY STAY THAT WAY.

This is one reason why "e-ink" works so well for e-reader devices, because you only need a brief pulse of electricity to change the screen, then it just holds that image until you pulse it again, which saves a LOT of power.

Last edited by delphin; 04-21-2011 at 03:26 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I figured someone would come along with a more correct technical explanation, and you certainly did that. I've given up trying to understand the technical aspects of today's micro-technology.

But now I have a nifty mental image of my Reader with magic bipolar balls under the screen, responding to my every command.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote