Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #5836
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
6, 6, 1?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #5837
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
LOL, there's obviously some pattern that results in 6, 6, 1 since three people have suggested it.

I'll call this one. The next three numbers are 9, 6, 8 for a sequence that goes 14, 23, 28, 33, 42, 51, 59, 68, 77, 86....

These are the stops on the Lexington Ave. Local subway train in NYC.

I thought someone might guess correctly that they were street names, but geography made this tougher than I hoped.

This is open to anyone to pose the next question.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #5838
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah sorry - I didn't register that I was putting up the same numbers as the Grand Mouse and Sneaky. It was a pattern of the difference amounts between the numbers.

I think Paul should have a go as he gave the first wrong guess!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #5839
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Jeez! I used to ride that train twice a day for two years too!!!! Unbelievable!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #5840
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, no numbers for this one

There is only one correct Answer to this Question. Is it

A) Answer A
B) Answer A or Answer B
C) Answer B or Answer C
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #5841
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

If there's only one correct answer, then it has to be (A).
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #5842
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
If there's only one correct answer, then it has to be (A).
No. If answer A is right, then answer B is also right, but only one answer is right.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #5843
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'll guess at (c), for no other reason than I don't think it can be (a), because if it is (a), then (b) must be true as well. After that I can't get the logic straight in my head between (b) and (c), so I will just guess at one of them.

(Getting out my bus timetable if I get to set the next question ).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #5844
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Is the correct answer "None of these"?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #5845
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I believe it is 'one.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #5846
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think, Bilbo is right, it is C).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #5847
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'll guess at (c), for no other reason than I don't think it can be (a), because if it is (a), then (b) must be true as well. After that I can't get the logic straight in my head between (b) and (c), so I will just guess at one of them.

(Getting out my bus timetable if I get to set the next question ).

I'm not sure that guesses count, but you're right.

The important thing is that only one of the answers is correct.

A can't be that one, because is A is correct then B is correct too.
B can't be that one, because if B is correct then C is correct too.

C is the only correct answer. A and B are not correct.

You can work it out using boolean logic. We know that only one is true.

Try A=TRUE, B=FALSE, C=FALSE. Substitute in and we get
A: TRUE
B: TRUE or FALSE = TRUE
C: FALSE or FALSE = FALSE
which is a contradiction, as we assumed B=FALSE and we find B=TRUE

Try A=FALSE, B=TRUE, C=FALSE.
A: FALSE
B: FALSE or TRUE = TRUE
C: TRUE or FALSE = TRUE
another contradiction, as we assumed C=FALSE and we find C=TRUE

Try A=FALSE, B=FALSE, C=TRUE:
A: FALSE
B: FALSE or FALSE = FALSE
C: FALSE or TRUE = TRUE
No contradictions, the right answer is C.

Over to you, Bilbo...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #5848
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Cities quiz then. Please name the cities from the clues below:

1. Founded in 1788 and named after a British politician of the time.
2. Has a name that means 'black pool' in the local language and was once the second largest city in the British Empire.
3. Home of the oldest university in Central Europe (founded in 1347).
4. Originally called Edo, this city acquired its current name in 1868.
5. The authors Barbara Cartland, W.H. Auden, J.R.R. Tolkein and John Wyndham all spent at least part of their childhood here.
6. Home of the world's oldest Stock Exchange.
7. Situated at the confluence of two 'colourful' rivers, Osama Bin Laden had a home here between 1991 and 1996.
8. Sometimes called 'Italy's most northerly city', this city has the official colours black and gold.
9. This city was incorporated in 1886 in anticipation of the railroad reaching it. It has been ranked as one of the world's 'Most Liveable Cities' for each of the last five years.
10. W.C Fields said this of which city; "I once spent a year in ??????, I think it was on a Sunday"

Good luck!

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 03-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #5849
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Cities quiz then. Please name the cities from the clues below:

1. Founded in 1788 and named after a British politician of the time.
2. Has a name that means 'black pool' in the local language and was once the second largest city in the British Empire.
3. Home of the oldest university in Central Europe (founded in 1347).
4. Originally called Edo, this city acquired its current name in 1868.
5. The authors Barbara Cartland, W.H. Auden, J.R.R. Tolkein and John Wyndham all spent at least part of their childhood here.
6. Home of the world's oldest Stock Exchange.
7. Situated at the confluence of two 'colourful' rivers, Osama Bin Laden had a home here between 1991 and 1996.
8. Sometimes called 'Italy's most northerly city', this city has the official colours black and gold.
9. This city was incorporated in 1886 in anticipation of the railroad reaching it. It has been ranked as one of the world's 'Most Liveable Cities' for each of the last five years.
10. W.C Fields said this of which city; "I once spent a year in ??????, I think it was on a Sunday"

Good luck!
OK, some I know, some I'm guessing, some I can't even guess!
1. ?
2. Bombay
3. Milan
4. Tokyo
5. Coventry
6. Amsterdam
7. ?
8. Turin
9. Dublin
10. Philadelphia
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5850
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
5: Birmingham
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote