Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
Can a galaxy tab usb cable charge a nook?

One of the things that made me not want an ipad was their proprietary cable, well I see the nook and the galaxy tab use a micro usb port, but with extra pins for charging.

So this seems unavoidable until maybe there's a standard way to charge these types of devices in a reasonable time.

I have a friend in the US and I told him to grab me a nook (I'm in Canada). I'm concerned that if the one usb cable breaks or gets misplaced then I will have no means of charging.

Does anyone know if the tab uses the some configuration? At least I can buy those cables here.

Makes me hesitate on telling him to grab it, or grab 3 cables just in case.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Delete...I totally misread the question. Sorry.

Last edited by French; 12-03-2010 at 08:34 PM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
sark666
Connoisseur

Still trying to find out as my friend is going to buy it tomorrow...

I read the ipad can charge slowly from a computer. But asus and others have released a tool so you can charge these devices faster.

engadget article on charging

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/AI_Charger/

Does this work with the nook? Has anyone charged a nook over a computer and if so how long does it take?

I'm reading conflicting things on this.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't speak for what the tab has...but yes, apparently the Nook has a proprietary (yet not) micro usb. For the nook, a regular micro usb will charge it...just slower.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
sark666
Connoisseur

Yes i think it was off course mentioning the tab. From what I understand it uses pdmi? Haven't read much about that though.

When you say it will charge slower, have you tried it or read that? I'm reading some posts saying it definitely won't and some say it wil, but slowly. No one mentions how long. 8hrs? 10?

I just don't want to be stuck with something that I can't easily replace the cable seeing how they are not sold in Canada.

I may tell him to grab an extra cable for fast charging, but it's nice to know that a normal usb is a fall back, vs no other option.
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, I have charged with a regular USB cable. Just make sure you don't use it and the screen is off. It will charge slowly. I can't give a specific time because when I do so the battery level isn't low.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
adrianoabma
adrianoabma began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
Charging on plain 1 AMP USB

The USB 2.0 standard is normally expecting 1 amp out of it's power. Galaxy needs 2 amps. When you see the red on you battery charging, I would expect samsung to have placed a protection to reduce the amperage been pulled from the usb port so you wouldn't burn your usb port / device (not sure).

In simple words your device draws more than a usb can give so if you are actively using it you will run out of power, but if it's sitting on stand by with the screen off, it will eventually charge.

Expect 2 to 3 times longer than with the samsung adapter.

The car adapter/holder is a good option too and it will suck 2 amps out of your car, so be careful with battery exhaustion on your car, winter and galaxy tab you worst battery enemies.
adrianoabma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
FatherStorm
▒▒▒WebGod▒▒▒
FatherStorm has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Color
I would expect that the pinout is the same standard as all other devices using microUSB with the difference being in the power source. meaning, if you use a laptop instead of the supplied power brick, then your charge rate may well be slower. if you use a USB hub, or a USB port on a keyboard, same difference. if you use the supplied brick, or some equivalent brick with a cable of relatively the same length and build quality, your charge time will be faster, if you use the brick with an "extended" usb cable, say 10+ feet, your charge time will be slower. end of the day, it's the amperage of the power source that has the greater effect in 90% of the cases, and the remaining 10% is either shoddily built cables or over-long cables, or worn/damaged cables.
FatherStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I use my HTC and Blackberry charger to charge my nook all the time. Also works with my nook color, though at a slower rate.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote