Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #31
Gonzo62
Gonzo62 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post

Tell me if you want to help and make some debugging stuff. You'll need to connect with SSH from a computer.

The first time you run the program it will detect there is no configuration file and will generate one.

The crashes you mention when browsing /mnt/free would need some debugging.
Do you have any special contents there?

Iņigo

/mnt/free shows the content of the internal memory of the iLiad - that means /books and so on.

Of course I will help to find out whats the problem. If you tell me how to connect to the iLiad and what to do I will try to give my best.
Gonzo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo62 View Post
/mnt/free shows the content of the internal memory of the iLiad - that means /books and so on.

Of course I will help to find out whats the problem. If you tell me how to connect to the iLiad and what to do I will try to give my best.
Ok, you will need some minor command line skills.

First you'll need to install an SSH server onto your Iliad, search for dropbear [1].
Then run it and annotate the IP of your Iliad.

Use a ssh client from your computer to connect to your Iliad.
In Linux/Mac you can use "$ ssh root@iliad_ip" from a terminal.
In windows you can use putty, a free wonderful SSH client.
[the first time you connect you should change the password, be careful to remember it, [1]]

Connect to your Iliad and change to the root directory where ToolBox was installed,
export your DISPLAY settings to the IP of your Iliad (192.168.2.8 in my case), and
run the program from the command line.
For example:
Code:
root@ereader:~$ cd /media/card/Programs/Toolbox/
root@ereader:/media/card/Programs/Toolbox$ export DISPLAY=192.168.2.8:0.0
root@ereader:/media/card/Programs/Toolbox$ lua _files/Toolbox.lua | ./_files/xx -p
interact with the application and look at the output on the terminal if it crashes.

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37040
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #33
Gonzo62

I was following this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12
but my IP is still 127.0.0.1 so for sure something is wrong.

I will go for a new CF card to reflash my iLiad, maybe I screwed already something up.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #34
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
I was following this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12
but my IP is still 127.0.0.1 so for sure something is wrong.

I will go for a new CF card to reflash my iLiad, maybe I screwed already something up.
It's the same thread I mentioned you.
I's a good thing to have a terminal in your Iliad, install xshell if you haven't done yet.
Then you will be able to check network status. Type next on the Iliad terminal:

Code:
# ifconfig -a
This will check if you have a proper network adapter active (eth0) for wired and (can't-remember-the-name, maybe wlan0?) for wireless.

You should have a valid IP of your local network in eth0 or wlan0 in order to connect.

As your only IP is 127.0.0.1 it looks like the Iliad haven't network activated.

Then, to check if SSH server is running:

Code:
# ps -efax|grep dropbear
should return a line containing the process.

Hope it helps,
Iņigo
Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #35
andre8x8
andre8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Ė found a lot of issues :-)

In generally the screen is always refreshing two times , that means if I'm choosing "about" the about screen is showing up then - after at about half a second - the screen is updating again and the about screen is showing up again. Same is for all screens and for going back to the main menu.

1.) System Information
not working - toolbox is closing itself without error message

2.) File Explorer
After klicking "ok" its working sometimes and sometimes toolbox is closing itself during reading "mnt/free".
And its true - theres no filebrowser.ini in files

I'm having the iLiad 2nd edition and I installed toolbox from MMC card and after installation its running from this card.

According to the logfile in /files my firmware is 2.12.1, maybe thats the problem.
I'm having the same issues on my ILiad book edition with firmware 2.12.1
So I think it is the firmware which is causing those issues, not the CF-Card.

BTW
I'm glad there are folks around making these great apps for the iLiad.

Keep Up the good work

Greetings,
André Heijkoop
Netherlands

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."
andre8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #36
Gonzo62

Quote:
It's the same thread I mentioned you.
I's a good thing to have a terminal in your Iliad, install xshell if you haven't done yet.
Then you will be able to check network status. Type next on the Iliad terminal:

Code:
# ifconfig -a
This will check if you have a proper network adapter active (eth0) for wired and (can't-remember-the-name, maybe wlan0?) for wireless.

You should have a valid IP of your local network in eth0 or wlan0 in order to connect.

As your only IP is 127.0.0.1 it looks like the Iliad haven't network activated.

Then, to check if SSH server is running:

Code:
# ps -efax|grep dropbear
should return a line containing the process.

Hope it helps,
Iņigo
I had mrxvt installed but I will try xshell.
Well, I bought today another CF card, this one works. To be on the safe side I tried to reflash with cf-card-contents from iRex BUT: apparently reflashing worked fine but after the device was restarting it stuck in the boot screen, nothing happened, even reset didn't work. The log file on CF Card was somehow damaged, I couldnt read it. But finally I could manage it to format the device, no its downloading softwareupdates.

This time I will only install the development package, a shell, unbrickable.inst and the toolbox, nothing else (for now *g*). We will see in some hours or tomorrow if I can get it to work

Last edited by Gonzo62; 01-17-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #37
Gonzo62

Quote:
Connect to your Iliad and change to the root directory where ToolBox was installed,
export your DISPLAY settings to the IP of your Iliad (192.168.2.8 in my case), and
run the program from the command line.
For example:
Code:
root@ereader:~$ cd /media/card/Programs/Toolbox/
root@ereader:/media/card/Programs/Toolbox$ export DISPLAY=192.168.2.8:0.0
root@ereader:/media/card/Programs/Toolbox$ lua _files/Toolbox.lua | ./_files/xx -p
interact with the application and look at the output on the terminal if it crashes.
Now my connection is working well, I connected to my iLiad and try to run Toolbox from command line.

I exported the display settings as you described - of course with my IP :-)
It did not work with the lua command, the screen was blinking once on the iLiad and I got this warning:

(Toolbox.lua:975)
: GtK-WARNING **: cannot open display:
7.027: ./_files/xx: Done

Then I tried it with "path to _files/run.sh" and it started the Toolbox on my iLiad. I clicked "File Explorer", the file explorer opened and showed the content of "/mnt/free" - as I already mentioned this is the content of the internal memory containing the folders /books and so on. I can click on one of this folders i.e. books and its opening without problems. If I'm clicking in the menu bar of file explorer on "free" in the path "/mount/free" its going on top of the folder free.

If I'm using the button "Bookmarks" in the bottom right corner to go to:
/media/cf
/media/card
its working.

But as soon as I'm going in "Bookmarks" to "/" or clicking in the menu bar in the path to "/mount" Toolbox is closing.

So apparently the internal memory is mounted as /mnt/free including all subfolders there, the cards are mounted as /media/cf and /media/card. But its not possible to go to the root itself.

I tried again pviewer and browsed through all folders, its showing /bin /boot and so on - the complete root directory. In /mnt/free theres the internal memory mounted as in Toolbox already shown.

I have to stop testing now, some strange and pretty huge and for sure blood sucking insects are already flying around me because of all the light I turned on for seeing the iLiad screen clear

See attached file for all details about running normal, "File Explorer" and "System Information" Hope it helps you in finding out the problems.
Attached Files
File Type: txt session.txt (5.3 KB, 432 views)
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
(Toolbox.lua:975)
: GtK-WARNING **: cannot open display:
7.027: ./_files/xx: Done
try:
Code:
#export DISPLAY=:0.0
I think I know the source of the problems.
I installed a newer busybox package some time ago (v1.7.2).

This new busybox includes more powerful commands.
For examples,

* in sysinfo, I use this code to get a list of running processes:
Code:
# top -b -n 1 -d 0
* in filebrowser, I use this to get free space:
Code:
# df -k
Apparently, default busybox commands don't accept some of these flags.

Could you try both in the Iliad terminal (or connected with SSH) and post the results.

Browsing to / in my Iliad also crashes FileBrowser, I need to check it.

Thanks for your help,
Iņigo
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #39
Gonzo62

Hmmmmmm, as far as I remember "export DISPLAY" needs the computer name or the IP address so I think "export DISPLAY=:0.0" will not work. But I will try it next time when I connected to the internet with the iLiad.

df -k is working as it should in the terminal on the iLiad.

top -b shows "invalid option", "top -d 0" is working normal.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #40
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
df -k is working as it should in the terminal on the iLiad.

top -b shows "invalid option", "top -d 0" is working normal.
Please, provide the output for "df -k".

Crash in sysinfo module is due to mismatching busybox version.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #41
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Crash in sysinfo module is due to mismatching busybox version.
Yes, I can confirm this, as I only use the iRex supplied busybox version. I always crashed when accessing sysinfo too! Thanks for confirming it wasn't just user error...

Funny thing though, after I got my iLiad and started loading all the wonderful community-inspired programs, I installed the newer busybox AdamB ported and it (perhaps in combination with some other incompatible pre-2.12 software) caused my system to reset (and somehow wipe out my firmware 2.12). So I stayed away from it when I reflashed back.

I don't recall if I used the latest BusyBox v1.7.2 that AdamB had ported, but I will probably give it another shot.

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-18-2010 at 12:38 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #42
Gonzo62

Output df -k:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/tffsa1 73045 64200 8845 88% /
/dev/tffsa5 26857 2 26855 0% /mnt/protected
/dev/tffsa6 131180 113468 17712 86% /mnt/free
/dev/tffsa7 581 35 546 6% /mnt/settings
/dev/hda1 3915440 28020 3887420 1% /media/cf
/dev/mmc1 975864 13104 962760 1% /media/card
Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #43
ferlanero
ferlanero began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92 Booxtor Edition - iLiad 2nd Edition
Hi Iņigo!

I have instaled you fantastic Toolbox on my iLiad 2nd Edition wiht 2.12 firmware but I have no success with some points. First I would like to tell you what I did:

I downloaded and installed your software as you recomend in first post, but as "System Information" didn't work, then I followed your recomendations. I installed "lua5.1-iliad-1.6.6.ipk" via "xshell in stand alone mode" doing:

dpkg install /media/cf/Programs/lua5.1-iliad-1.6.6.ipk

Then I copy sysinfo.lua in /Programs/Toolbox/_files/modules directory as you say in other post...

But after doing all, still no success... What I have doing bad?

Can you help me, please? I think your Toolbox software is very, very usefull but I can't install properly on my device...

Thanks in advice!
ferlanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #44
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Output df -k:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/tffsa1 73045 64200 8845 88% /
/dev/tffsa5 26857 2 26855 0% /mnt/protected
/dev/tffsa6 131180 113468 17712 86% /mnt/free
/dev/tffsa7 581 35 546 6% /mnt/settings
/dev/hda1 3915440 28020 3887420 1% /media/cf
/dev/mmc1 975864 13104 962760 1% /media/card
glub, sorry, I meant df -h, 'h', not 'k'.
That's to check if default busybox's df command accepts h flag, which Toolbox is using.

Iņigo
Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #45
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferlanero View Post
Hi Iņigo!

I have instaled you fantastic Toolbox on my iLiad 2nd Edition wiht 2.12 firmware but I have no success with some points. First I would like to tell you what I did:

I downloaded and installed your software as you recomend in first post, but as "System Information" didn't work, then I followed your recomendations. I installed "lua5.1-iliad-1.6.6.ipk" via "xshell in stand alone mode" doing:

dpkg install /media/cf/Programs/lua5.1-iliad-1.6.6.ipk

Then I copy sysinfo.lua in /Programs/Toolbox/_files/modules directory as you say in other post...

But after doing all, still no success... What I have doing bad?

Can you help me, please? I think your Toolbox software is very, very usefull but I can't install properly on my device...

Thanks in advice!
It looks a newer busybox package is needed. Please, read previous articles on this thread.

As far as someone check it I'll update the docs.

Tags
lua, toolbox, tools