Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Deleting an ereader app; frees space?

I'm about to delete what was my favourite ereader app for iPads for various reasons not important here.

I know Apple in its ineffable wisdom won't ever let me be free of the app; it will always be lurking on iCloud whether I want it there or not. But will deleting the app free up space on my iPad mini hard drive? I have about thirty ebooks in the app's library. Or will they just sit there occupying space?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
The books will be deleted from your iPad. If the app also saves them to the cloud, they will stay there unless you delete them. But 30 books should not take up a lot of space I think, unless some of them are PDFs or contain a lot of images.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The books will be deleted from your iPad. If the app also saves them to the cloud, they will stay there unless you delete them. But 30 books should not take up a lot of space I think, unless some of them are PDFs or contain a lot of images.
Thanks. But I'm afraid that leads to another question: Is there anyway of stopping apps saving books to the cloud?
Old 03-14-2015, 03:09 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I assume by Cloud you specifically mean iCloud, as you mention that in the first post.

If you talk about books bought through iBooks, and thus Apple, then it will always stay in the cloud, although not in your specific iCloud. When you want to download it, you'll get a copy of the version Apple has available for all customers.

If you mean other bookstore apps, then it depends on the individial app, but in most cases the same happens as with iBook Store - You won't store a 'personal' file in iCloud, but rather will download a copy of whatever file is available for everyone. But again, that depends on the app in question.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I assume by Cloud you specifically mean iCloud, as you mention that in the first post.

If you talk about books bought through iBooks, and thus Apple, then it will always stay in the cloud, although not in your specific iCloud. When you want to download it, you'll get a copy of the version Apple has available for all customers.

If you mean other bookstore apps, then it depends on the individial app, but in most cases the same happens as with iBook Store - You won't store a 'personal' file in iCloud, but rather will download a copy of whatever file is available for everyone. But again, that depends on the app in question.
Thanks