Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #106
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the libprs500 gui to delete files from the reader. It automatically removes the corresponding entry from the correct XML database.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #107
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Let me be a bit more specific here.

(1) Which file contains the metatdata that the Reader Software uses?

(2) What are the tags that begin and end a section relating to a specific book?

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #108
ddesk
Darren
ddesk is on a distinguished road

Device: PPC-6700/PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
That is awesome. I look forward to trying it out. And having the LRF output work indefinately is a really nice bonus. Thank you in advance.

Jon
PDF to BBeB/Lrf utility for Mac and Windows, as promised with unlimited PDF-Lrf conversions:
http://labs.docudesk.com/latest-tech...deskunpdf.html

enjoy!
ddesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #109
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesk
PDF to BBeB/Lrf utility for Mac and Windows, as promised with unlimited PDF-Lrf conversions:

enjoy!
Great work guys! Thanks!

I have completely avoided PDFs because they suck beyond measure on the Reader. This opens up a whole new realm of possibilities!

-Pie
Old 05-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #110
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Hey Scotty:

Does your mountable file system give access to the meta-data for books? Either directly, or via the xml file that the reader keeps on the card/in memory? It'd be cool to be able to update meta-data about books while writing them onto the reader.
(Yes, I know... libprs500 does that now in an integrated fashion. I'm looking for still other ways of doing it.)
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #111
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
Hey Scotty:

Does your mountable file system give access to the meta-data for books? Either directly, or via the xml file that the reader keeps on the card/in memory? It'd be cool to be able to update meta-data about books while writing them onto the reader.
(Yes, I know... libprs500 does that now in an integrated fashion. I'm looking for still other ways of doing it.)
May I ask why?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 AM   #112
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie
There was some previous discussion about Metadata, and I think this may be a real problem.
Update on this issue.

I checked the media.xml file in both the database/cache and tmp/database/cache directories, and there are no references to my problematic book.

I re-generated the lrf, creating a 27-entry TOC. Transferred with Connect software, and STILL have the 30-40 second load problem (after pressing "5" for TOC Menu).

Unless there is another location for metadata, I don't think the problem is related to direct transferring via "readerfs" or the Mac GUI version. It's this particular book. Very much so, since every other LRF I genrerate, many with 30 TOC entries, load in 5 seconds.

Quote:
Does your mountable file system give access to the meta-data for books?
Xenophon, as you can see from the above, it indeed does give access to the metadata. It's in two locations:
<mountpoint>/Reader/database/cache/media.xml
and
<mountpoint>/Reader/tmp/database/cache/media.xml
In the "tmp" directory, I still have references to the original "excerpt" ebooks that came with my Reader -- long since deleted. And looking at libprs500 to verify my suspicions, it seems like that one isn't used. The libprs500 only refers to "Reader/database/cache/media.xml" in its code.

Generating the Metadata is another issue all together, and scotty's program alone doesn't do this... so you've only won half the battle going that route.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 05-13-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #113
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There can be various sources for slowdowns in an LRF file. Too many TextBlocks, a single very large Page element, ...
Old 05-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #114
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Ah! Good info!

Is there a rule of thumb about when to use a new page? I go one page structure per chapter.

-Pie
Old 05-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #115
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you'll need to experiment
add textblocks to a page and see where the slowdown starts
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #116
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
you'll need to experiment
add textblocks to a page and see where the slowdown starts
All right! I was carelessly generating a TextBlock per paragraph. Now I only generate on demand, and this made a HUGE difference. The Table of Content Menu loads instantly now. Not 5 seconds, not 2 seconds, but the instant you hit the "5" button.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I'm very happy with this new update!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10752

And this sounds the all clear for using Docudesk / readerfs to transfer files. They had nothing to do with my slow LRF.

-Pie
Old 05-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #117
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I know this is an old thread, however can someone tell me where to find the latest (or last) version of this FUSE filesystem is to be found?
Sounds like a terrific idea..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #118
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesk View Post

enjoy!
Hello ... one of the version has the unlimited LRF conversions? Is it pro?
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #119
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Here is a readerfs compiled for Feisty Fawn. Let me know if it works for you.

1. Plug in your PRS-500
2. readerfs <name of directory to mount on>
3. ls a/Reader (or whatever)
4. umount <name of directory to mount on>
I'm afraid this didn't work for me - shouldn't really surprise me as I'm running Hardy Heron. I assume this was the last version, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I got this error:
Quote:
me@my-x64-desktop:~/Desktop$ ./readerfs /media/prs500
./readerfs: error while loading shared libraries: libfuse.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #120
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I'm afraid this didn't work for me - shouldn't really surprise me as I'm running Hardy Heron. I assume this was the last version, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I got this error:
I think it is not so much a version problem as much as it is that you don't have the FUSE library and kernel modules installed. I'm a Fedora Core guy but search your software package repositories for fuse-libs and fuse-kmdl, basically anything to do with something called 'fuse', and install them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote