Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #46
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
No, I agree. I was just being flippant. I haven't noticed any significant difference between my kobo touch and my kindle kb, screen-wise.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #47
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
This would be tempting if I didn't already own a Nook Simple Touch. I like the minimalism, and especially like the up and down buttons on the right bezel, which are the thing I like best about my NST. Best of luck to them.

Did we ever find out whether it includes the case that is shown in the pictures?
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #48
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
What about landscape mode? ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Also, the touchscreen reduces the clarity of the E-ink screen so there is probably little difference between the Kobo and the Pure. It is certainly the clearest normal e-ink screen out of the 8 I have had.
Obviously, you've not seen a reader with an IR touch screen. There is NOTHING you can see in front of the Pearl screen. The IR beams used are invisible to the human eye. That is where you are wrong. There is nothing in front of the screen to reduce the clarity. Also, supposedly, the screen used on the new Sony PRS-T2 is even better then that used on the Kobo, Kindle, and previous Sony. So it would be better then the older Vizplex used on the BeBook.

As for the software side of things, that's one thing I cannot comment on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Except by the fingerprints.
If you have a Sony, it uses a swipe to go forward or back and by swiping instead of tapping, you have less visible fingerprints as a swipe is akin to wiping the screen.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It is nice to know that BeBook is sill around and still making a reader even if it is a basic model with old hardware. Hopefully, they will come out with a more updated reader.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #52
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
The lack of the Perl screen is the real disappointment as far as I am concerned. Otherwise, I might consider this because of its support for folders.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #53
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Smile

In the UK, the Daily Mail Reward scheme is giving an e-reader for 8,000 points. It has a 5 inch colour screen, and can play video and audio as well. Supports a number of different book types including epub and mobi. Would take 32 weeks to gain that number of points to get it free. For those in Scotland with daily points it would take less time. 2800 points would get you a £10 voucher so the 8,000 is roughly the equivalent of less than £30. It also comes with an 'executive' case as well.

There is no mention of the e-reader make, but it does seem good value compared to the prices of other e-readers.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #54
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
If it's colour and supports video, then it's an LCD, and not an eInk screen.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #55
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I actually dislike the Pearl screens. It seemed much harder to read in low light conditions, like with my bedsite lamp. I'm very interested in seeing if this is available in the US.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
I actually dislike the Pearl screens. It seemed much harder to read in low light conditions, like with my bedsite lamp.
In comparison to what do you feel it so much harder to read, to "normal" eink or to LCD?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #57
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Lack of Pearl should not be a deal breaker in my opinion, I have both and the difference is not that great....Plus the simplicity of the machine is quite good...too bad they do not have a 5 inch version.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The lack of the Perl screen is the real disappointment as far as I am concerned. Otherwise, I might consider this because of its support for folders.

--
Bill
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #58
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Lack of Pearl should not be a deal breaker in my opinion, I have both and the difference is not that great....Plus the simplicity of the machine is quite good...too bad they do not have a 5 inch version.....
Placed next to my 5 inch Hanlin, there is not a lot of difference, it is only bigger enough to accommodate the 6 inch screen but it is much thinner and lighter. My first thought when I opened the box was how small it is.

I am very impressed with it so far and if I had to actually pay for a new reader now, I would not hesitate.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #59
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Placed next to my 5 inch Hanlin, there is not a lot of difference, it is only bigger enough to accommodate the 6 inch screen but it is much thinner and lighter. My first thought when I opened the box was how small it is.

I am very impressed with it so far and if I had to actually pay for a new reader now, I would not hesitate.

Good to know...Curious if you can adjust the Margins.... with Calibre...? or on the machine itself....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #60
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Good to know...Curious if you can adjust the Margins.... with Calibre...? or on the machine itself....
On the machine.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote