Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Dan Simmons

Any Dan Simmons fans out there? I like how versatile he is as far as genres go; he can write anything in my opinion.

my favorites are:

1- children of the night- the best vampire novel i've read

2- carrion comfort- i'd say this is his best work

3- hard freeze- hard boiled of course

what are your favorites?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Dan Simmons is a really great writer. I've read only three novels by him and they are some of the best in the genre i've ever read:

Carrion Comfort (Horror)
Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion (Science Fiction)

I have to say...Carrion Comfort was really good. The character of Melanie Fuller...Yikes! Damn, she scared the shit out of me. I never thought I'd be frightened by what an old woman might say or do, nor would have considered an old woman to be one of the most terrifying villains in modern fiction.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Terror. i never dreamed a 1000 page book about sailors in the 1840s would be one of the most entertaining books i've ever read.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Hyperion is probably the best sci-fi I've ever read.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
Dan Simmons is a really great writer. I've read only three novels by him and they are some of the best in the genre i've ever read:

Carrion Comfort (Horror)
Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion (Science Fiction)

I have to say...Carrion Comfort was really good. The character of Melanie Fuller...Yikes! Damn, she scared the shit out of me. I never thought I'd be frightened by what an old woman might say or do, nor would have considered an old woman to be one of the most terrifying villains in modern fiction.
totally agree on the fuller character! she was stone-cold but passive-agressive haha.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The Terror. i never dreamed a 1000 page book about sailors in the 1840s would be one of the most entertaining books i've ever read.
i looked at that one but bought flashback instead... i will put it on my to-do list, thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Hyperion is probably the best sci-fi I've ever read.
i read and liked hyperion but not the follow-ups... it got too complicated. i have a hard enough time with this reality much less a bunch of others lol.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I read Drood over Christmas. Very entertaining.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Dan Simmons is a weird one for me, I find he writes great starts to scifi stories, which end up completely falling apart. I loved Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (effectively one book that he was forced to break into two), but didn't like the follow-ups; I loved Illium because it was jam-packed with incredible ideas, but hated Olympos, the sequel to Illium, because it was jam-packed with unresolved plot threads and gaping plot holes.

I've had Carrion Comfort on my Kobo for awhile, but I haven't cracked it yet.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I love Dan Simmons. The Terror is one of my favorite books. Joe Kurtz also has a very special place in my heart.

But it really saddened me that he let his personal politics stomp all over his last book—Flashback (try as he might to deny that's what happened).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I love Dan Simmons. The Terror is one of my favorite books. Joe Kurtz also has a very special place in my heart.

But it really saddened me that he let his personal politics stomp all over his last book—Flashback (try as he might to deny that's what happened).

i'm about 30% through flashback and i can see what you mean, it's very evident.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm a big fan of his work. Not as big a fan of his personal beliefs but I set those aside, much as I do when I read Orson Scott Card. I need to read Drood. The Terror was great, as was the Hyperion series. But I might have enjoyed Ilium and Olympos more.

If you enjoyed Carrion Comfort you should also check out Song of Kali.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'm a big fan of his work. Not as big a fan of his personal beliefs but I set those aside, much as I do when I read Orson Scott Card. I need to read Drood. The Terror was great, as was the Hyperion series. But I might have enjoyed Ilium and Olympos more.

If you enjoyed Carrion Comfort you should also check out Song of Kali.
i read it... not a big fan of that one.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm a big fan of his work. Not as big a fan of his personal beliefs but I set those aside, much as I do when I read Orson Scott Card.
I do the same thing. And I was able to do that with every other work of his. Mostly because I try to remain blissfully unaware of authors' personal beliefs. But with Flashback... Dan Simmons beat me over the head with personal beliefs that were only thinly disguised as a story. That's the first time he's ever done that to me. As long as he never does that to me again, I'll continue to buy and enjoy his work and write this one off as an aberration.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-21-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Wow, having only read 'Drood', and not finding any bias there, I thought that everyone might be reading too much into 'Flashback'. After reading a couple of reviews, I found this on his website.

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message.htm

He's like the Tea Party Poet Laureate.

Yet, he still claims his personal views aren't showing through in the novel?
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote