Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apple is doing away with iTunes. They are going to replace it with 3 apps.
Apache
They're also, however, introducing a more "desktop-like" version of iOS specifically for the iPad with a fully-functional file manager, etc. That'll please a lot of people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #47
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Battery life does tend to be the biggest issue with low-end tablets. If they're actually advertising 5h, you can probably count on it being 3-4h in real-world usage, and that'll be down to 2h in a couple of years' time as the battery ages. Hopeless!
In my short time with it, the charging of the device seemed very slow. Curious since the battery isn't huge.

So not only is the battery life short but the charge time is high.
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
In my short time with it, the charging of the device seemed very slow. Curious since the battery isn't huge.

So not only is the battery life short but the charge time is high.
A smaller battery cell does not imply a faster charging time. For the same chemistry and level of development, larger cells can be charged with higher currents.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Well...it's not that bad in practice for my type of usage. This is not "all day disconnected at the beach without a worry" type battery life.

Frankly, if I wanted to read a lot every day and this was my device....I might just buy two and keep one on the charge and swap. $64 each and it's still below a good eInk device.

I don't tend to read more than an hour or two at a time. And since the battery doesn't seem to drain all that much when you aren't actively using the device....it's not all that bad.

And while I'm not thrilled with 16:9 (except for video), it's really not that bad to read two column in landscape.

$64 is also not the "on sale" price or "with ads". Fire Tab HD 8 without ads is $95 and is heavily skinned for Amazon content. This tablet has an extra navigation "button" alongside the normal back, home, list apps buttons.

I haven't used it enough for the AI features of Android 9.0 to really start making a difference either.

There is a lot better experience to be had by paying more money for it. I absolutely love my iPad mini with it's A12 and gorgeous screen, small and light with premium aluminum build.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
I tried both the Microsoft and Nova (Pro) launchers and the Walmart button persists. Nor can you delete the preinstalled Walmart apps. They are considered system apps and can't be deleted without root.
Bummer. Still, the Walmart button isn't the worst offence, I guess.

Even though I could get rid of the button, I likely wouldn't jump through the hoops to remove it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #51
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
Just heard about this and apparently, the news only broke a couple of days ago. So far I could only find one review video on YouTube. Early days still I guess.

It looks interesting and it's damn cheap. $64 US Dollars. According to the first YouTube video, this is basically the same hardware as the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet but of course, you are getting Android 9.0 instead of Amazon's OS.

Walmart Link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Andro...et-8/767511102

YouTube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Oh1_U7t30
I got the 2018 Amazon Fire HD8 for $49 on one of the sale days late last year. I believe it is Android 7.1 but I don't know what the difference between 9 is and if it matters.

Battery life is supposed to be 10 or 12 hours. That was the selling point for me.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The most obvious difference is the skin. FireOS is all about helping you consume Amazon content from Kindle ebooks, Audible audio books, Prime Music and Prime Video. Amazon has its own App Store instead of Google Play.

The biggest two differences beyond the obvious is that typing in fluid on the Walmart tablet and janky on the Fire....and the Walmart tablet doesn’t run down so fast when you aren’t using it. The Fire tablets will run down and have no battery fairly quickly even if you aren’t using them.

After a couple weeks now...I think the Walmart tablet is the one to pick. Looking forward to seeing what the next version of the Fire tablet brings to the table
Old 06-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #53
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The biggest two differences beyond the obvious is that typing in fluid on the Walmart tablet and janky on the Fire....and the Walmart tablet doesn’t run down so fast when you aren’t using it. The Fire tablets will run down and have no battery fairly quickly even if you aren’t using them.
I don't doubt your particular experience, but mine has been very much the opposite.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I don't doubt your particular experience, but mine has been very much the opposite.
Fascinating. I may have an exceptional copy of the Walmart tablet, but I have had lots of Amazon tablets. I buy a new one every year, and give them out as gifts. My mom, wife, 3 kids, nephew niece.....and I’ve always had the things run out of battery life when on but not in use.

The “have to turn the tablet off” and “janky text entry when writing forum posts” were my only two real complaints I’ve had about the Fire tablets. I’ve actually liked FireOS....where so many others have not.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #55
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Fascinating. I may have an exceptional copy of the Walmart tablet, but I have had lots of Amazon tablets. I buy a new one every year, and give them out as gifts. My mom, wife, 3 kids, nephew niece.....and I’ve always had the things run out of battery life when on but not in use.

The “have to turn the tablet off” and “janky text entry when writing forum posts” were my only two real complaints I’ve had about the Fire tablets. I’ve actually liked FireOS....where so many others have not.
I will check further on the battery drain while just being on and not being used. The HD8 Fire is on a shelf right behind me now in a room with 2 computers and I don't use it too much unless I go off somewhere where I know I will have to sit and wait and I prefer it over a 5 inch phone. Basically I use it like I used my old 3G Kindle before the screen broke.

As far as typing, I haven't noticed a problem.

I am like you, the OS is fine and since I am heavily embedded in Amazon, Prime, etc. I feel at home.

Of course I like the built in Alexa.

=========
Someone above said that the Fire HD8 went on sale for $59 a few times a year. It was also on sale for $50 last year.
I forgot to add that I got an extra 5% ($2.50) off for using Amazon Prime Card. The and my Church got something too!

The savings just keep mounting. [[All that said, I don't like Bezos personally, but heck the Lemonade stand down the block is charging 25 cents a cup and Jeff only 10 cents and the taste is as good and is as cold.

Ok, leebase, I started a check last night at 3:47AM on the Fire HD8 when it was at 96% battery charge and just now at 1:15 PM (about 9 hours) the charge was 93%. I hope I duplicated somewhat your own test by cutting the Fire on, looking at it briefly and then laying it face up and walking away.

I am pleased at the results. Give me more parameters if you want to change the test.

As for typing on it, my own (subjective) typing seems ok.

And by the way Children's Fires are on sale today.

Last edited by frahse; 06-16-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #56
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I will check further on the battery drain while just being on and not being used. The HD8 Fire is on a shelf right behind me now in a room with 2 computers and I don't use it too much unless I go off somewhere where I know I will have to sit and wait and I prefer it over a 5 inch phone. Basically I use it like I used my old 3G Kindle before the screen broke.

As far as typing, I haven't noticed a problem.

I am like you, the OS is fine and since I am heavily embedded in Amazon, Prime, etc. I feel at home.

Of course I like the built in Alexa.
I’m a big fan of the Fire Tablets. I bought the first 7 inch years ago and a new one every year since. I’ve left one in a cab...never to be seen again. That wasn’t nearly as painful as the iPad I left on a plane! They have been my constant “traveling for work” companion. I load them up with shows and movies so that it doesn’t matter if the hotel has good WiFi or the movie on the plane is bad
Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #57
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
I’m a big fan of the Fire Tablets. I bought the first 7 inch years ago and a new one every year since. I’ve left one in a cab...never to be seen again. That wasn’t nearly as painful as the iPad I left on a plane! They have been my constant “traveling for work” companion. I load them up with shows and movies so that it doesn’t matter if the hotel has good WiFi or the movie on the plane is bad
My wife has a 7" Fire. I tried to upgrade her to an 8" like mine, but she said she was happy. She also has a older nice Samsung 7 Plus with lots of bells and whistles.

She prefers the 7" Fire.

"Different bites for different likes."

Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #58
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The Fire HD8 tablets go on sale a couple times each year for $59. One such sale is going on right now, for Fathers Day. You can also expect this lower price on Prime Day and during the Black Friday sales if things continue as they have been. So the Walmart tablet does not have much of a price advantage, unless you need a tablet right now and you happen to have that need when one of Amazon's sales is not going on. It's pretty simple to get Google's Play Store installed on a Fire tablet. The one advantage of the Walmart tablet is that it runs Android 9 rather than FireOS. This is not as big a deal as it seems, since these cheap tablets are not real computing devices made for productivity, IMHO. At this price point and level of sophistication you're not getting something that could substitute for a computer. They are really "media consumption devices", and given that, it may actually be an advantage to have the Fire tablet tied into Amazon from the get-go. That is, if you are already tied into Amazon's ecosystem with things like Prime, purchased eBooks, Audible, etc. I wouldn't want an expensive tablet tied into any vendor, but a cheap one like the Fire, I don't mind the tie-in. I spent more for dinner last night than I did on my Fire HD8.

The more I look at these two low-end competing tablets, the less difference I see in them. Buy one, buy the other - it probably doesn't matter which one you end up with in the long run. The cost is nearly identical, given all the sales that Amazon typically has. It's like a can of tuna - Starkist or Chicken of the Sea? Remove the label and I doubt anyone could tell the difference. So you buy the one that is the cheapest at the specific moment you decide to purchase.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #59
leebase
Karma Kameleon

On sale the Fire Tablet is still “with advertisement”....and to turn that off costs $15. Who knows what the “on sale” price will be for the Walmart tablet.

They are indeed more alike than different. But “close in price a couple times a year” isn’t the same thing as being the same price.

I agree that some people may will prefer the direct integration with Amazon content, I’ve certainly enjoyed that aspect. Then again, I have all the same Amazon apps running on the Walmart tablet. They are free downloads from the google play store.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #60
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
There are a few downsides to the tight Amazon integration. For example, I wanted to log out of the Alexa app on my Fire tablet (so I could login to a different Alexa account). But I cannot find any way to log out! I installed the Alexa app on my wifes iPhone, and there is a logout option under "Settings". But no such logout option exists (that I can find) on the Fire tablet version. That's "too tight" Amazon integration IMHO.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote