Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #91
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
Thanks for the quick update, after having looked at every single photo of it in portrait mode with the buttons only on the right hand side I was starting to get worried.
Strange that they didn't think to show a picture of it in that orientation.
It's a strange omission. Someone must have thought it was so obvious that it could be held that way that they didn't think it needed to be explicitly stated.
Quote:
Well they have sold me on it. Just need to find a store that will have it in Australia on Oct 30th. Can't wait. I have been wanting a new eReader for a while.
JB HiFi usually have them on the release date. Though not in all stores.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #92
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The Mobius thingy is interesting. I'd always assumed Amazon got first refusal on all new eink screen technology.

Perhaps a cover won't be quite so essential on this model. Maybe just as well if the 3rd-party covers take a long time to appear.

Oh dear, my buy-it-now finger is starting to twitch. It's just as well that my new gadget obsession is restricted to eink readers and not the more expensive phones/tablets etc.
Mine is already twitching... I think I'm going to get me a present because of my brother's birthday
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Mine is already twitching... I think I'm going to get me a present because of my brother's birthday
Seeing how happy you are with your new ereader should be enough of a gift for him.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #94
fraggle111
fraggle111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O, Kindle PW
And there it is:

https://gl.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-forma
fraggle111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #95
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Whew! $280 US. That's a lot if you've already got a decent ereader. I'd be ecstatic if one dropped in my lap, but that's just way too rich for me, unless and until my Aura One goes paws up and even then it would be a difficult call.
Or order it from the Chapters Indigo site for $299 CAD which is $233 USD.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #96
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's official:

Highlights: 8"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Oh dear, my buy-it-now finger is starting to twitch.
I lost interest at the mention of the 8" screen

Of course, Kobo has a history of using their larger-screened readers as their premium device and I can't fault them. But I sure would like the same device in a 6" form factor.

I still do have concerns about the shape of the device. At first blush, it looks more awkward than the Oasis. The Oasis is ugly because it was designed to be comfortable to hold. The Forma, with that wedge on the front putting the buttons on a decline away from your thumb doesn't seem right. And putting the power button where your palm rests? I don't know, Kobo...

I'm curious to see what the reviewers make of it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #97
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Interesting!
Looks like the same slippery back as the Clara HD though 😕
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #98
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

And one noticeable absence in the pictures: Nothing to suggest it can be held with the buttons on the left.
No way I'd consider buying this if the screen doesn't rotate to accommodate right and left hand use with the buttons. Too bad, as I really prefer physical page turn buttons.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #99
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Guess I'll be pre-ordering one for the wife as a thank you for taking care of me as I slowly deal with a broken ankle and foot that's damaged from unmanaged diabetes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #100
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Guess I'll be pre-ordering one for the wife as a thank you for taking care of me as I slowly deal with a broken ankle and foot that's damaged from unmanaged diabetes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
If I were you wife, I would suspect a bit of this present....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
No way I'd consider buying this if the screen doesn't rotate to accommodate right and left hand use with the buttons. Too bad, as I really prefer physical page turn buttons.
According to davidfor's post about his query to Kobo, the screen can be held in any of 4 positions (buttons left, right, top and bottom).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #102
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I think I'm going to wait for the LE. Assuming that it will be available in Canada...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #103
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
According to davidfor's post about his query to Kobo, the screen can be held in any of 4 positions (buttons left, right, top and bottom).
I hope so. I would have thought their Marketing would have loved to show off that feature, go figure...

EDIT - AND I hope it's controlled by a sensor, rather than having to go into the software every time you switch hands...!

Last edited by k9reeder; 10-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #104
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I was a bit worried when the only left-hand button picture is the back. Thanks for asking, davidfor. That would have been no sale otherwise.

This looks a lot more comfortable than the Oasis to me. The back looks grippy -- but it is similar to the Clara. It's slippery??

Happy those making estimates from the micro USB port were right about the screen size.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #105
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I hope so. I would have thought their Marketing would have loved to show off that feature, go figure...

EDIT - AND I hope it's controlled by a sensor, rather than having to go into the software every time you switch hands...!
The product page does show both manual and automatic switching. I would think that would be for all orientations.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote