Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #166
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Will this work on a Glo HD running 3.15? Does it include Coolreader and a filemanager that allows browsing via directories?
If you mean the install guide, it should but I would recommend using the guide for doing it with KSM. I have tried to keep them both up to date. I haven't seen much feedback about it with regard to the new device and firmware though.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #167
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Thanks for the reply.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #168
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
are the alternative readers better? then the default
will i still have pocket app
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #169
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
are the alternative readers better? then the default
will i still have pocket app
There are many who find Koreader to be much better for reading PDFs. Both Coolreader and Koreader use the CR3 engine for many more formats than can be read using the stock readers, (I have a lot of PDB ebooks, for instance.)

The Kobo Start Menu (KSM7) brings a number of additional features, as well, (including some to aid the stock software). The Vlasovsoft launcher provides games and utilities, as well as Sergey's port of Coolreader. Koreader is loaded with features to work with calibre as well as Evernote, Zsync, and OPDS support.

The stock software, including Pocket support, is still there and working after adding the launcher and alternative readers.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-26-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #170
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Any noticeable increase in speed? Is it easier to transfer things. Mainly reading epubs and pocket. I need to figure out the setting to convert Pdf or read them easier on the kobo glo
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #171
Ken Maltby
Wizard

If you are not dealing with the Kobo database and its processing, that time is avoided.

Transferring ebook files from your PC to your device, for Koreader's or Coolreader's use is a simple file transfer. (Drag&Drop, if you want.) It is a good practice to create the file structure you want on your PC, as a directory & folders then just copy that to your device. A lot of people use calibre to manage their ebooks and it can also create a file structure on your device. I find it easy to transfer ebook files to my AuraHD from the calibre library on my PC using calibre's server/OPDS catalog, wirelessly. The USB cable works as well, of course.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #172
wakkaday
Groupie

i like the wireless option, so for this to work i would need to install an alternative reader/hack

thanks i will look into this
i also use calibre to manage
Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #173
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The wireless options I was describing are part of Koreader which is an addon reader. The first post of this thread provides a guide for installing all you need, but notice that I recommend that the newer guide be used. Both threads contain other useful information, like how to hide your library from the Kobo/Nickel processing.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #174
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Hi,

is there a way to have something like the collections we have with Nickel with the alternative readers? With a folder-based approach I can have my books in exactly one folder (if I don't copy them), and with collection I can have a book in more than one at the same time?

Cheers, Joe
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #175
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
Hi,

is there a way to have something like the collections we have with Nickel with the alternative readers? With a folder-based approach I can have my books in exactly one folder (if I don't copy them), and with collection I can have a book in more than one at the same time?

Cheers, Joe
I guess a collection/shelf feature is just another way to have a listing of books, based of some criteria. You can do much the same with the search features in Koreader, searching the File Manager for words in a file name; and searching the calibre metadata, by browsing series or tags, or a word search.

I don't know how Coolreader handles such things.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #176
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
can i install FBReader on Kobo Aura?
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #177
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
can i install FBReader on Kobo Aura?
You would have to create a "port" of the code to make it so it could use the hardware.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #178
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
Hi,

Cheers, Joe
This would something for the "Developer's Corner" but if the user could create "History" like folder/menus, they would do everything a "Collection" would, and more. You might even add to the "long press" options for File Manager entries; an option to add that book to a "Collection".

Just an idea.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #179
Frolosse
Frolosse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use KOReader only for PDF and to keep the original reader for kepub/pockets articles ?

Thanks !
Frolosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #180
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolosse View Post
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use KOReader only for PDF and to keep the original reader for kepub/pockets articles ?

Thanks !
Adding the alternate readers has no impact on the original software. It is best though to create a separate "hidden" library for the alternate readers, to avoid any conflicts, and the kobo processing attempts for files Kobo can't handle but the alternate readers can. The first post includes info on how to hide your library from kobo's processing.

Luck;
Ken