Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #91
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Can fonts be added to the Nook without rooting it or whatever?

If fonts can't be added easily do they have Caecelia? My eyes prefer fonts with chubby serifs like Caecelia and Bookerly.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #92
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post

If fonts can't be added easily do they have Caecelia? My eyes prefer fonts with chubby serifs like Caecelia and Bookerly.
No and no. They have Georgia and Malabar. Georgia is too thin even when bolded and I didn't like Malabar, so I embedded my Nook books with Dejavu Serif Eink.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #93
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No and no. They have Georgia and Malabar. Georgia is too thin even when bolded and I didn't like Malabar, so I embedded my Nook books with Dejavu Serif Eink.
Ok, thanks. I've now lost all interest in buying one. Dern.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #94
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's one of the reasons I'm having second thoughts about buying the Glowlight Plus (2015 version). But then I got used to embedding the Deja Vu Serif E-Ink (and Constantia) fonts for my Sonys, so it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal to do with the Nook as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #95
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
It depends on ones personal taste. I dunno, if you have ever seen their Georgia font in person or if Georgia font is the same everywhere but I just looked at it again Georgia and Malabar are plenty thick enough even though I like Georgia more. Also, Aldiko is the number 1 eReader software for Android and it uses the Georgia font. I think I just started using Bookerly and Ember in my embedded fonts, with Calibre, because they seem popular here at least by several old posts I read.

There is also the option to sideload Aldiko reader on the Nook and sideload your own fonts to Aldiko. Might be possible to do with the stock android firmware too, after rooting, but I dunno how-- at least not, yet.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #96
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Talking

Quote:
And still no new reviews to be found online. Only the same handful that were published/uploaded shortly after the release. It's almost as if the new Nook didn't exist.

Not that I'm awfully interested in reviews, having the device itself, but a bit strange. Perhaps it's the midsummer. All potential reviewers are on vacation.

I'm really liking the new Nook, now that I've found a good combination of font and font size.

BTW, don't Nooks have the landscape mode? I couldn't find it. I very seldom use it on my Kindles, so I'm not going to miss it, but other people might.
The usual suspects have already reviewed it. Same reviewers as kindle. The difference is there are more Kindle users, thus more novice reviews .....

Last edited by Tony1988; 07-24-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #97
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
It depends on ones personal taste. I dunno, if you have ever seen their Georgia font in person or if Georgia font is the same everywhere but I just looked at it again Georgia and Malabar are plenty thick enough even though I like Georgia more.
Low contrast letterforms isn't about their thickness but how much it changes and how much of a difference there is between the thick parts and the thinnest parts. It can be more obvious with serifs where they end in sharp points.

See also the following; there are 3 slides there; click on the little right arrow that's over the brownish red background to go to the next ones.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bypi308heY7/

(The above comes from https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/ )
Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #98
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:

I thought it was obvious that people who are obsessed with fonts should use Kobo ? There is a trade off ,though, since there are no perfect eReaders on the market the underlining/highlighting function can be a pain in the ass in a kobo unlike Nooks and Kindles and that is essential for non-fiction analytical reading. Maybe they fixed it with a firmware update but I doubt it.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #99
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought it was obvious that people who are obsessed with fonts should use Kobo ? ...
For me (and my weird eyes) it's not so much an obsession as it is a necessity if I want to use front-lit Readers. But I don't own a front-lit Kobo, just my Paperwhite and three Tolinos (and the old Simple Touch w/ Glowlight, which is also is not here).
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 AM   #100
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me (and my weird eyes) it's not so much an obsession as it is a necessity if I want to use front-lit Readers. But I don't own a front-lit Kobo, just my Paperwhite and three Tolinos (and the old Simple Touch w/ Glowlight, which is also is not here).
I have 206 books in Calibre all stripped of DRM. Like Bill Gates I read about 50 books a year and I try to read for at least an hour day. An hour a day translates to a book a week. Not bad really since I read some really challenging non-fiction. So If someone is only read a book or few a week then converting them to embedded font books , with bookerly or ember, should take like 10 minutes.

A lot of folks here have no problem jumping through all kinds of hoops to strip DRM from their books (I actually don't know if lumpynose does this) but once I mention embedding fonts , like bookerly and ember, they don't want to be hassled. Converting the book with the embedded fonts is pretty quick actually in Calibre. I just get the feeling that a lot of people here are lazy or tech incompetent. That is just the impression I get.

BTW, I currently reading a pure mathematics book in Georgia font and it is fine for me and it is fine for the number 1 ranked Android reader on the market Aldiko. If Aldiko is number 1 then Georgia can't be bad.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-24-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #101
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
BTW, I currently reading a pure mathematics book in Georgia font and it is fine for me and it is fine for the number 1 ranked Android reader on the market Aldiko. If Aldiko is number 1 then Georgia can't be bad.
A lot of people go down the path of least resistance. In my opinion Linux is superior to Windows. Should I change my opinion simply because Windows is "number 1?" I don't think the Georgia font is "bad." And it really doesn't matter to me (personally) where Georgia ranks in the "font game." I think Deja Vu Serif E-Book is a superior to it and I'm happy I can choose to use it.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #102
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
A lot of people go down the path of least resistance.
I'm already futzing with the books' CSS to fix things like excessive line-height, non-default font size, making the text ragged right, and god-awful stuff like a colored background. I also delete any font stuff so that it'll use the font I've specified on the e-reader. I also fix it so that the paragraphs use an indent instead of a blank line. Embedding fonts is simply a bridge too far for me.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #103
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm already futzing with the books' CSS to fix things like excessive line-height, non-default font size, making the text ragged right, and god-awful stuff like a colored background. I also delete any font stuff so that it'll use the font I've specified on the e-reader. I also fix it so that the paragraphs use an indent instead of a blank line. Embedding fonts is simply a bridge too far for me.
I do all those things too, except I make the text justified instead of left-aligned. Embedding fonts is actually the easiest operation of them all, more so because my edited books are all in the azw3 format and I have to re-convert them for the Nook anyway, to epub. Embedding is handled during conversion.

It took me far longer to find the right base font size for my Nook books, because I don't like the default sizes. On Kindles I use the FONT_RAMP hack.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #104
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

More about sideloading. Yesterday I sideloaded about 500 books from Calibre to the Nook, in batches of 10. All went smoothly. Looks promising. Hopefully the Nook can handle a large amount of sideloaded books, because it would be a waste of that 6 GB storage space otherwise. We'll see how it behaves.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:42 AM   #105
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
More about sideloading. Yesterday I sideloaded about 500 books from Calibre to the Nook, in batches of 10. All went smoothly. Looks promising. Hopefully the Nook can handle a large amount of sideloaded books, because it would be a waste of that 6 GB storage space otherwise. We'll see how it behaves.
I have 91 books on mine for about a month now. I did it in batches of 3-5 , with Calibre, then I properly ejected my device with both Calibre and Windows before taking the USB cord out. Actually, to remove it I had to eject it twice, from windows, in the lower right hand corner with usb symbol or whatever. I think the problems people have with it are just plain failing to adapt to the situation properly and computer illiteracy in general. I have Windows 10 , on one computer, and Debian Buster Linux on my laptop , BTW. But the DRM stripping tools are for windows not linux AFAIK.

Anyway, I have 91 books on my Nook, sideloaded, and I have no problem whatsoever with them.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-20-2019 at 02:47 AM.