Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Any rumors on a new Kobo???

.........it's been what now...a year since the Clara???
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The Forma (Oct 2018) was later than the ClaraHD, so not quite a year.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
.........it's been what now...a year since the Clara???
Nothing at the FCC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I would't mind seing a a higher resolution H2O. (I can see a difference, although it's pretty minor).. but I think Kobo is safe to rest on their laurels a bit.. the competition has a way to go to catch up (on the hardware, at least.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
I'd love to see a new Kobo One with a 9" or 10" screen, no physical buttons with a flat back like the Aura One.

I've got the Forma and I love the slightly bigger screen. I don't like the buttons and would like a smaller form factor. I had an Aura One with the 7.8" screen. From an ease of use point of view it was superior to the Forma. Unfortunately for me I dropped the Aura One with the charger plugged in and the connector went wonky. On the bright side this occurred a week or so before the Forma was released so it gave me an excuse to upgrade.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buttons are good. You don't have to use them. The reason that most things don't have them is to look sleek in publicity photos and save a few cents.

I'd like to see a small screen for a pocket eReader and also an affordable A4 screen.
Better software for library management. Better filters/search. Ability to do notes outside of a book (Like PRS350). Ability to add USB and BT keyboards. Paged web browser like original DXG had, scrolling is terrible on eInk.
I'd like a replacement eventually for my H2O original, (i.e. SD Card slot), but with sound & 3.5mm jack and buttons, maybe in 5", 7", 12" and an integral lid with solar panel option. Having to add folio covers to phones, tablets & eink readers suggests original design is too much for appearance and not enough for function.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Buttons are good. You don't have to use them. The reason that most things don't have them is to look sleek in publicity photos and save a few cents.

I'd like to see a small screen for a pocket eReader and also an affordable A4 screen.
Better software for library management. Better filters/search. Ability to do notes outside of a book (Like PRS350). Ability to add USB and BT keyboards. Paged web browser like original DXG had, scrolling is terrible on eInk.
I'd like a replacement eventually for my H2O original, (i.e. SD Card slot), but with sound & 3.5mm jack and buttons, maybe in 5", 7", 12" and an integral lid with solar panel option. Having to add folio covers to phones, tablets & eink readers suggests original design is too much for appearance and not enough for function.
You don't want much, do ya?
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I used to use the buttons on my old Sony ereaders and I don't miss them. I just don't understand all the comments about wanting buttons. My KA1 (obviously, without buttons) works very well, as have other ereaders without buttons. To each his own, I guess.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
A Mini with Clara screen and software? Take my money NOW!!!!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I used to use the buttons on my old Sony ereaders and I don't miss them. I just don't understand all the comments about wanting buttons. My KA1 (obviously, without buttons) works very well, as have other ereaders without buttons. To each his own, I guess.
I do miss the Sony buttons. On my Kobo I have a hard time tapping or swiping in the correct part of the screen for the various functions - page turn, settings, light adjustment. I finally turned off tap-to-turn to remove one possible variant.

On the Sony I did use swipe-to-turn but because most of the other features were accessed via buttons there was less chance of accidentally doing the wrong thing. If the Sony hadn't lost its ability to get library books directly I'd still be using it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I'm the other way around. Having had an ereader without buttons, I'll never buy another buttonless eink device. Fingerprints bother me terribly (yes, I can see them) and I just can't get used to them. Yep, I do have a smartphone and the fingerprints don't particularly bother me there, but then I don't use my phone for reading novels. Book reading is, for me, a relaxing activity. I just can't relax with fingerprints all over my book.

The lack of buttons is the main reason why I have Kindles instead of Kobos. So I hope Kobo will include buttons on their future readers too. I would consider getting a Kobo in that case.

To each his own, exactly.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I used to use the buttons on my old Sony ereaders and I don't miss them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I do miss the Sony buttons. On my Kobo I have a hard time tapping or swiping in the correct part of the screen for the various functions - page turn, settings, light adjustment. I finally turned off tap-to-turn to remove one possible variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The lack of buttons is the main reason why I have Kindles instead of Kobos. So I hope Kobo will include buttons on their future readers too. I would consider getting a Kobo in that case.
I still use my Sonys (and non-touch Kindles) and still like the buttons. On the Tolino Visions I use the tap2flip feature (which keeps my fingers off the screens for page turning). Next best thing to page turn buttons.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
You could get s Forma. I did, for the buttons (I already had a One).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The smaller size and lower price of the Clara were more important to me than the buttons available on the Forma. Would like to have a 6" reader with buttons.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
In addition to having buttons, the Forma's shape is noticeably superior in my opinion; the part where the buttons are is slightly angled up and it makes a huge difference. And then the Kobo user interface is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kindle; sorting by author last name, grouping books by author, etc.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote