Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...Reading on this tablet shore is fun. So glad I don't have to get two serious about it tho. Oh look, a squirrel!
Quote:
...My bladder's just not what it used to be.
Watching squirrels on a tablet is the cause of early bladder discharge. That's why we experienced readers use and promote E Ink ereaders, as then ones bladder will last 4 weeks, at least, before being discharged.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Watching squirrels on a tablet is the cause of early bladder discharge. That's why we experienced readers use and promote E Ink ereaders, as then ones bladder will last 4 weeks, at least, before being discharged.
Now see that's the first really convincing argument for eink's superiority that I've heard. I did not know that.

In all fairness, though, the squirrels are not actually ON the tablet. They run the electric lines outside the window. It's just that those big bushy tails twirling around to keep their balance will catch my eye and distract me from reading almost every time. But that's still the tablet's fault, right? I'm sure I read somewhere that the latest eInk screens have squirrel-cancelling technology built right into them. I honestly don't know why I continue to punish myself with this tablet reading nonsense, really. Just bull-headed, I guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Now see that's the first really convincing argument for eink's superiority that I've heard. I did not know that.

In all fairness, though, the squirrels are not actually ON the tablet. They run the electric lines outside the window. It's just that those big bushy tails twirling around to keep their balance will catch my eye and distract me from reading almost every time. But that's still the tablet's fault, right? I'm sure I read somewhere that the latest eInk screens have squirrel-cancelling technology built right into them. I honestly don't know why I continue to punish myself with this tablet reading nonsense, really. Just bull-headed, I guess.
The eink screens stun you with their black-and-white monotony, so you cannot do anything else but stare on the screen like you're hypnotized. It helps enormously with one's concentration. You really should try it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The eink screens stun you with their black-and-white monotony, so you cannot do anything else but stare on the screen like you're hypnotized. It helps enormously with one's concentration. You really should try it.
I don't think I can go back to reading in black and white. Novels are just so much more vivid when read in color. The crispness of the off-blacks contrasting with the near-whites is really amazing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think I can go back to reading in black and white. Novels are just so much more vivid when read in color. The crispness of the off-blacks contrasting with the near-whites is really amazing.
I get your meaning. Sometimes I really mourn the loss of those off-blacks... what a feast for one's eyes they were! I guess hordes of people complained about this and that's why they put the color-changing light in eink readers. Now we have our off-blacks and near-whites finally back!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #21
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
The lights from computers/tablets definitely cause eye strain though, at least to me. The new yellow lights do NOT strain my eyes.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #22
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
Reasons to still use eReaders :

1.) The science is not conclusive even though the blue light probably does not harm your eyes.

2.) Just because it does not harm your eyes does not mean that reading on e-ink is a more comfortable experience for how many people ? I dunno, I can say for me it is but probably for others too because that is what it is designed for.

3.)The newest generation of e-ink eReaders have warm light which won't throw off your circadian rythm.

4.) Sure people say they read on their tablets and phones but the sessions are probably not as long and serious because one can be easily distracted by e-mail, texts, web browsing and the like etc... etc.. so you need Nazi like discipline (at least I would) to read on one ideally as much as an eReader.
That is the list of someone who has reached a conclusion and is looking for reasons to justify it. Especially the last one.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
4.) Sure people say they read on their tablets and phones but the sessions are probably not as long and serious because one can be easily distracted by e-mail, texts, web browsing and the like etc... etc.. so you need Nazi like discipline (at least I would) to read on one ideally as much as an eReader.
People say? Not as long, not as serious?

To the real point at hand....it's "looking at light" that is alleged to be the problem. So, it doesn't matter if you are reading an email, posting to twitter, or reading a book. It's all reading, and it's all "things that probably don't prepare your mind for sleep".

You know....just like READING a regular book with the light on.

Only...I've been "reading myself to sleep" since I was a kid and I don't ever plan to stop.

Reading on a tablet or phone, at night, in the dark, before going to sleep -- is FAR FAR FAR FAR more comfortable on my eyes than any book with nightlight or lamp ever was.

I have the brightness way down, with grey text on dark background. As my reading sessions can go through many levels of ambient light (you know....the sun is up, then the sun gets lower in the sky, and eventually sets...)....it is SO EASY to keep adjusting my light levels and switch between day and night modes...as needed.

A book needs a lamp or a book light....and I quite like letting the room go dark. I disturb my wife far less with my low light tablet verses having a lamp on.

Readers read.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

How long of a reading session would I need to do on a tablet to be considered a "serious" one, anyway? I hope it's not longer than four or five hours at a stretch. My bladder's just not what it used to be.
You don't take your tablet into the bathroom? You know....the "reading room"?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
It really is. I have a somewhat dark green with a somewhat lighter grey that is to die for as far as reading comfort goes.

This is where I really wish I wasn't so lazy with my kindle books (a large percentage of what I read). Too few color options. Black on Green for the day and white on black for the night. (I never choose black on white). I could liberate them and read via FBReader (my current app of choice)...but just haven't bothered.

Still, the fine control I have over the brightness of the screen allows very comfortable reading. I read in poor lighting far more than bright light. Having my pages exactly at the ambient light level means....I can't see to read without turning on a lamp.

With my tablet, I set the light to "just enough" above ambient, with just enough contrast.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Still, the fine control I have over the brightness of the screen allows very comfortable reading. I read in poor lighting far more than bright light. Having my pages exactly at the ambient light level means....I can't see to read without turning on a lamp.

With my tablet, I set the light to "just enough" above ambient, with just enough contrast.
Well, people's eyes are different. Mine are very sensitive to light and setting the back/frontlight above the ambient means eyestrain pretty quickly. I can't look at screens for long periods in a poor light.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, people's eyes are different. Mine are very sensitive to light and setting the back/frontlight above the ambient means eyestrain pretty quickly. I can't look at screens for long periods in a poor light.
Can you read a book in dim room light? I have SO much more control of the light experience with a table than with a book.

Of course I can just turn a light on in the room and read either. In such a light, I don't turn the tablet above ambient.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can you read a book in dim room light?
Depends on the print. I very rarely read paper books anymore. Generally I prefer good ambient light for longer reading sessions, even with my frontlit ereaders, otherwise my eyes soon tire. Admittedly I have had poor eyes since childhood.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...I've been "reading myself to sleep" since I was a kid...
You really need to read more exciting books
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #30
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You really need to read more exciting books
Yeah...but then you just end up staying up all night

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote