Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Have you tried LibraryThing? Great for series, but not so good for tracking reading.
I used to use LibraryThing for tracking reading. Their site seems better to me in that regard. The problem is that they don't have a mobile app for it.

In most things, I prefer LT to GoodReads.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #32
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I used to use LibraryThing for tracking reading. Their site seems better to me in that regard. The problem is that they don't have a mobile app for it.

In most things, I prefer LT to GoodReads.
They do now. That's actually one of the ways I got my lifetime membership, by trying it out. for android though. hang on....

https://blog.librarything.com/main/2...thing-android/

And there's a link in that page to the ios version too.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #33
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Not as extensive as FactFiction (they will be so missed!) is https://www.fantasticfiction.com/ - better than nothing. Amazon's Following always announces books a year in advance for me and I'm not going to keep up with that far in advance - wonder if there is a setting somewhere that requests the date as others on here say they aren't getting notices until after the book is published.
Thank you for letting me know about this site, signed up!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
They do now. That's actually one of the ways I got my lifetime membership, by trying it out. for android though. hang on....

https://blog.librarything.com/main/2...thing-android/

And there's a link in that page to the ios version too.
Sorry. My message was unclear. LT DOES have a mobile app. But when I used it a while back, it was pretty much only for cataloging. I don't remember being able to add read dates, visit the forums or stuff like that. I'll try it again, since it's been a while.

Overall, I prefer LibraryThing to Goodreads by a country mile. I'm a lifetime member there because I donated. I also have one of their t-shirts. But they aren't friendly to casually going in to mark a book as a current read on my phone.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #35
phonygal
phonygal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DX, an HP Netbook, and an iPhone
I am heartsick! I had over 300 series on my list and always entered a book after I completed it and used the list to decide what to read next. For anal people like me, this one site met all my needs. I also use LibraryThing and Goodreads but they were not my go to site for series information. I hope someone will develop a replacement.
phonygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #36
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Series info is entered by volunteers. Sometimes there are multiple/different ways that series numbers can be entered. For example, chronological, publication date, author preference and add-on publications.
I know, I'm a librarian there and update that stuff. I meant they do not have interest with suggestions/requests on adding additional features for series tracking. Maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #37
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonygal View Post
I am heartsick! I had over 300 series on my list and always entered a book after I completed it and used the list to decide what to read next. For anal people like me, this one site met all my needs. I also use LibraryThing and Goodreads but they were not my go to site for series information. I hope someone will develop a replacement.
We can hope :/
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #38
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sorry. My message was unclear. LT DOES have a mobile app. But when I used it a while back, it was pretty much only for cataloging. I don't remember being able to add read dates, visit the forums or stuff like that. I'll try it again, since it's been a while.

Overall, I prefer LibraryThing to Goodreads by a country mile. I'm a lifetime member there because I donated. I also have one of their t-shirts. But they aren't friendly to casually going in to mark a book as a current read on my phone.

Gotcha. I think it is still pretty limited
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #39
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I was just reviewing old emails to see what books were added to series I follow and was surprised by its shutdown. For notifications of upcoming books being added to a series it was the best. I had about 50 series being tracked. I never missed a new release using this service and managed to catch most all of the short stories released between main novels as well.

Looking through the thread I haven't seen a source that provides this service near as well. Did I miss something? What site are you all going to use as a replacement?

I guess I'll give fantastic fiction a try.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-25-2019 at 12:41 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #40
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I was just reviewing old emails to see what books were added to series I follow and was surprised by its shutdown. For notifications of upcoming books being added to a series it was the best. I had about 50 series being tracked. I never missed a new release using this service and managed to catch most all of the short stories released between main novels as well.

Looking through the thread I haven't seen a source that provides this service near as well. Did I miss something? What site are you all going to use as a replacement?

I guess I'll give fantastic fiction a try.
Let me know if you find anything so far I haven't found something that works as well as fictfact used to. Part of the reason I feel is because a lot of series data and where a ss falls in the series was manually curated by the devs and the website users. I personally submitted about 35-40 series and 100+ books. I am hoping someone implements similar functionality into their website.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #41
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyspency View Post
I haven't gotten a link as of yet and the only thing on the site is the book report, which has never worked well for me in the past
You have to login to download your list of books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #42
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
http://Fictiondb.com is another site that will send emails alerts when a new book is due out. I have never used that service so I don't know how well it works.

They also have more information on the website about series, genre's, authors etc. and has lists of upcoming books listed by month among other things.

Last edited by Jean; 05-27-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #43
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
http://Fictiondb.com is another site that will send emails alerts when a new book is due out. I have never used that service so I don't know how well it works.

They also have more information on the website about series, genre's, authors etc. and has lists of upcoming books listed by month among other things.
From what I just spot checked, it is very lacking. I found some books in series that doesn't have the series itself. Or if it does, it is outdated. Some authors I checked have no new books listed after 2017. A SS in a series if it has multiple sources only shows the first one that got entered.

It might be a good service if you already know about a series, but not as a research tool to find out more about a series if you stumble on a book in it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmonli View Post
I used FictFact for many years and was also bummed to see that it closed down (I did see the announcement on Facebook).

The functionality that I'll miss and that I don't see replicated anywhere else (please correct me if I'm wrong!) is to get an overview of a series and to see which books I have already read. I can (and do) use FantasticFiction to see what books are in a series, but I track my books read in Goodreads, which is pretty awful for series tracking.
Exactly how I use those sites. I don't use Facebook and it's a shame they didn't have the info on their site until they zapped stuff. Yes, the CV lists books I read, but I had markers for series I wanted to start recommended by others. Ok, whining over. Nothing lasts which is why I'm moving stuff to a spreadsheet. What I don't get is why this thread didn't show up when I select NEW posts. Not once did it show up or I would have known a couple of weeks ago.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Unhappy Very sad

Yes, PLEASE, if somebody discovers or creates a similar website, DO holler out! FictFact was the best and easiest for series.

There were quite a few cases where I followed only one or two series from an author, and don't really want an email about xxth installment in some other series. Also, FictFact covered situations where different authors write in the same series and notified me even when story by somebody I'd never heard of was added.

I'll light a candle for FictFact
travger is offline   Reply With Quote