Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
New Kobo Firmware "April 2019" v4.13.12638

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Changelogs;
Traditional Chinese:
You can now change the display language of your Kobo eReader to Traditional Chinese.
(Go here > Settings> Language)

Wi-Fi:
You will now be notified if you are connected to your Wi-Fi network, but cannot access Kobo's services.
Several other Wi-Fi problems are also addressed.

Resolved:
In addition to problems with downloading and opening books from the archive, we also solved the most common device crash problem that was reported in the previous update.

Last edited by evirtue; 04-03-2019 at 02:29 PM.
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For those few who used Facebook, you'll notice that Facebook no longer appears under Accounts.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For those few who used Facebook, you'll notice that Facebook no longer appears under Accounts.
Woohoo. Good riddance.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Kobo Firmware 4.13.12638

Kobo firmware 4.13.12638 has been released. As of April 3, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code

Patches
Done!

Other Stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	affdev20190403.png
Views:	1189
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	170569  

Last edited by geek1011; 04-03-2019 at 09:33 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, there is a new firmware release. The primary reason for the release is to add Traditional Chinese support for Taiwan. This means adding Traditional Chinese to the UI languages. There is also a new font to support the language when reading and in the UI.

The rollout of this firmware version will be a little different to other. As it is intended for customers in Taiwan, they will be receiving it first. Some of the usual early receivers will be getting it later than usual.

The main changes are in the release notes. But, some need a comment.
  • For the Traditional Chinese support, there is no dictionary. One might be added in a later release.
  • The change to the WiFi connection is that when the device is connecting, it checks a page to see if the connection worked. With previous firmware, if this failed, the connection was dropped. Now, a message about this is displayed and you have the option to continue or disconnect.
  • One of the bugs fixed for WiFi is that a saved WiFi network could be displayed when it was not actually available. While this has been fixed, it might be necessary to remove and add the network again before it behaves properly.
  • The "most common device crash" was something to do with sleep and power. There were no definitive steps to reproduce.

The other changes that I can think of at the moment are:
  • As mentioned above, Facebook has been removed. If you want to keep using it, you can try adding the entry "FacebookShare=true" to the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file. This will add the Facebook login page and menu entries. But, I don't use Facebook, so I have no idea if the function still works.
  • Fix for remembering the reading location in TXT books. The percent read will always show as 1%, but the book will reopen to the correct place.
If I remember anything else later, I'll add it.

For calibre, there are no changes in the firmware that affect calibre's interaction with the device. I will update the driver to recognize the new firmware version. It should be in the next calibre release. But, until then, it is completely safe to enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Interesting, the release notes that I linked to in the the thread "New firmware coming out anytime soon" were accurate. I wonder why the release notes were created earlier than the release itself. This also happened with 4.8 as well. They also appear to have skipped the 102 to 105 set of numbers which were taken down.

Also, does anyone know if the URL contacted when the Kobo "phones home" has changed from kobo.com/buildinfo.xml ? I don't think they have but this is the sort of thing which is likely to change in this update.
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post
Interesting, the release notes that I linked to in the the thread "New firmware coming out anytime soon" were accurate. I wonder why the release notes were created earlier than the release itself. This also happened with 4.8 as well. They also appear to have skipped the 102 to 105 set of numbers which were taken down.
I would say that it is purely that they were posted earlier than they were supposed to be. And the new numbers are most likely they have an automated process for posting them and it uses the next available set of numbers.
Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the URL contacted when the Kobo "phones home" has changed from kobo.com/buildinfo.xml ? I don't think they have but this is the sort of thing which is likely to change in this update.
It hasn't changed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Installed on H2O original.
1) Text selection seems much faster.
2) The GUI or touch doesn't freeze now (or at least didn't on one test) when selecting a more left position than start on next line. Before you'd have to sleep for 25 sec approx for touch to re-enable.
3) Occasional ghost of a highlight from page on Add Note.
4) Text selection now usable on a page with a big image. Used to sort of freeze or be VERY slow. Can still take 15 seconds on an image about 1/3 of the page, but now usable!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
mathieulh
mathieulh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma 32GB
I installed it on my Forma, I instantly noticed that the PIN unlock is much more responsive and finally changes orientation according to the gyroscope, it used to be stuck in the latest used orientation until the device was unlocked on firmware 4.12
mathieulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Can anyone else confirm this problem I'm seeing in 4.13.12638 ...

I'm no longer seeing hyphenation in any of my kepubs. I know I have
-webkit-hyphens:auto
in the body CSS selector of every kepub on my KA1, which is the only device I've installed the new fw on. The same kepubs on my Forma with 4.12.12111 are hyphenating OK.

Hyphenation in epubs still seems to be working OK in the new fw.

I've got quite a lot of patches installed, so it might just be me, but only patches which didn't cause any kepub hyphenation problems in previous fws.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The two-finger light adjustment on my first gen Kobo Aura finally seems to be back to the flawless functionality of 3.12.1. It was 99% there in the previous patch, but now we're finally -- finally! -- back to 100%. Although the pop-up when you tap the sun icon still doesn't update to reflect the current brightness level.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
psom0ne
psom0ne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I understand the "woo hoo" good riddance sentiment, but I see no way to share w/ any social network...so...is this a feature Kobo has done away with entirely?
psom0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #13
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Can anyone else confirm this problem I'm seeing in 4.13.12638 ...

I'm no longer seeing hyphenation in any of my kepubs. I know I have
-webkit-hyphens:auto
in the body CSS selector of every kepub on my KA1, which is the only device I've installed the new fw on. The same kepubs on my Forma with 4.12.12111 are hyphenating OK.

Hyphenation in epubs still seems to be working OK in the new fw.

I've got quite a lot of patches installed, so it might just be me, but only patches which didn't cause any kepub hyphenation problems in previous fws.
Hyphens are visible for me after upgrading my Kobo Aura One LE. See attached image. I have set -webkit-hyphens:auto for all p tags in the css.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4794.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	865.9 KB
ID:	170582  
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psom0ne View Post
I understand the "woo hoo" good riddance sentiment, but I see no way to share w/ any social network...so...is this a feature Kobo has done away with entirely?
Share is gone from text selection options. It was wrong. No company should be enabling such a toxic and law breaking service built-in. There should be account options to send text to your log-in email address or a user entered one and maybe a web site URL (so your own blog or any so called "Social Media" can be used).
Old 04-05-2019, 04:09 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Well, I wrote too soon. The text selection is much improved but I did "crash" the GUI or Touch when moving down diagonally to the left. An epub, not kepub. Also the ability to change the selection isn't improved, it works so rarely it's faster to tap elsewhere to cancel selection and try again.