Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Ethics of Selling Review Units

I wonder about the ethics of selling review models which were presumably received free of charge...

Quote:
The Good e-Reader Store is open for business and it is suitable for all of your e-paper devices and tablet needs. We have dozens of products from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Pocketbook, Tolino and a myriad of others. You can checkout our shop today and pay for items with credit card or PAYPAL. All of the items are at our shipping warehouse and tend to be dispatched within a few days of the order being placed.

All of the products available in our store are review units that we receive from vendors all over the world. They are in perfect condition and have only been used for our unboxing and review videos on our YouTube channel. Instead of them collecting dust in our film studio we decided to just discount them and make them available for our loyal readers. We have been promoting digital reading since 2007 and this is our way of giving back to the community.

The proceeds of the store allow Good e-Reader to maintain the high level of journalistic integrity

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-now-available
Giving them away as part of a promotional campaign, I could perhaps understand. But selling them for profit?

I wonder what those who donated them would think...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I wonder about the ethics of selling review models which were presumably received free of charge...

Giving them away as part of a promotional campaign, I could perhaps understand. But selling them for profit?

I wonder what those who donated them would think...
I would say buyer beware looking at who is doing this.

If you believe those were donated, do you want to buy some beach property in west Texas?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
How would you like to buy this test model?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaiUm-ascU4
(Drop test)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
How would you like to buy this test model?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaiUm-ascU4
(Drop test)
Sure, when Mother's Day is in August.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:26 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
The proceeds of the store allow Good e-Reader to maintain the high level of journalistic integrity
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm too lazy to compare prices, but their offers do look rather expensive for used merchandise, don't they?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

What is also interesting is that if you go straight to their store, there is no notification whatsoever that they are selling test units. If you don't catch the blogpost quoted above you will have no idea what you are buying. I wonder how legal that procedure is.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 11-26-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
What is also interesting is that if you go straight to their store, there is no notification whatsoever that they are selling test units. If you don't catch the blogpost quoted above you will have no idea what you are buying. I wonder how legal that procedure is.

Snarky, shady, black-market, dishonest, scam, dodgy.

Please feel free - ANYONE! - to add to this list.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-26-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm too lazy to compare prices, but their offers do look rather expensive for used merchandise, don't they?
That was my reaction. Used merchandise, with no guarantee or recourse that I can see. I can't imagine why someone would buy at those prices.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with someone selling review units, unless they are given them on the premise they won't be sold on for profit (I don't think retailers put any conditions on review products they send to people?).

However, selling them without labelling them as used review/test units seems very dodgy. Here in the UK The Trades Descriptions Act states that goods have to be described accurately, not sure if there is anything similar in the US?

It's just yet another in the long list of reasons to not look at that website unless you really, really have no choice!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The 7” Fire with 8gb is more on their site than new from from Amazon. I placed that Fire in my cart, just for grins and giggles, to see what disclaimers they would give.

SUBTOTAL $39.99
SHIPPING Flat rate: $39.00

TOTAL $78.99

Yowzer. Look at that shipping cost.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
When i did reviews, I usually* either kept the review units or gave them away. My preferred recipients were teachers in impoverished schools, but it was sometimes hard to find them.

*Well, I did sell one Dasung monitor I got for free, but I had also bought one myself so it balances out.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Oh, here's something you should know about free review units: they belong to the company, not the reviewer.

Many companies will actually send a return label with the unit, making it clear they want it back. Some will even have you sign an agreement specifying the unit has to be returned before they will ship it.

I returned most of loaner Kindles I got from Amazon (I'm using the one or two I kept) and all Nook hardware lent to me.

This is why i don't think I can sell it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The 7” Fire with 8gb is more on their site than new from from Amazon. I placed that Fire in my cart, just for grins and giggles, to see what disclaimers they would give.

SUBTOTAL $39.99
SHIPPING Flat rate: $39.00

TOTAL $78.99

Yowzer. Look at that shipping cost.
That is priceless.

More seriously, it makes you wonder what in heck is going on? He can't possibly expect to sell any of those units with that shipping cost. Doesn't he know, or he is playing another game that's not obvious to me?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you believe those were donated, do you want to buy some beach property in west Texas?
Yes, "donated" was a poor choice of words. Should have simply said "provided" instead which neither connotes that they were freely given, nor simply lent.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote