Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
davidjoseph1
Enthusiast
davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Onyx Boox M90, M92 (*3),M96, N96,I86ml,C67ml,Kepler,Poke,Poke2,Nova3
Firmware updates for the M90

Uncharacteristically, I'm one of the early adopters who bought an M90 back in June. I'm not a Linux hacker, but I am curious as to the extent of likely future development of the M90 firmware, and if that effort flags, what are the various options for installing and customizing software apps on the M90? There isn't a FAQ or compiled user guide for the M90 online yet, and I understand that the Openboox platform is just for the A60.

I just want to know if what I have (using the latest firmware) is as good as it is going to get.
davidjoseph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have resigned myself to my M90 being as good as it is going to get.

On the plus side, now that I am turning it off vs. letting it go to sleep, it is behaving much better.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer
Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjoseph1 View Post
Uncharacteristically, I'm one of the early adopters who bought an M90 back in June. I'm not a Linux hacker, but I am curious as to the extent of likely future development of the M90 firmware, and if that effort flags, what are the various options for installing and customizing software apps on the M90? There isn't a FAQ or compiled user guide for the M90 online yet, and I understand that the Openboox platform is just for the A60.

I just want to know if what I have (using the latest firmware) is as good as it is going to get.
I agree that the M90 owners are pretty left on their own by Onyx.

Although the differences between the A60 and M90 firmware seem to be small there are two main reasons why there is no M90 build of OpenBOOX:

1) I do not own one
The first time a home made firmware is loaded on the device it is very well possible that the device becomes unusable (bricked). I have always used the strategy that I take this risk before I forward it to others. Chances are high that I will never own an M90 so there should at least by one M90 owner who is willing to take this risk. Volunteers?

2) The kernel sources are outdated
The kernel sources provided by Onyx do not include the M90 drivers. According to the GPL rules they have to provide them. Maybe it helps if M90 (and M92) owners ask Onyx for up to date kernel sources.

After the above problems are solved there is still the issue that the time I can spent on development is limited.
Koudijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koudijs View Post
[...]2) The kernel sources are outdated
The kernel sources provided by Onyx do not include the M90 drivers. According to the GPL rules they have to provide them. Maybe it helps if M90 (and M92) owners ask Onyx for up to date kernel sources.
I've been hacking a bit with the M92, so I can tell you the kernel is from Freescale, L2.6.35_11.05.01; you can find it here, under Board Support Package. There are probably a couple of non-critical pathes by Onyx, maybe the same they made for the BOOX60 tree, but I actually managed to compile the g_serial module without them. But in the long run, yes, we should ask them to hand out the complete tree.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer
Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
I've been hacking a bit with the M92, so I can tell you the kernel is from Freescale, L2.6.35_11.05.01; you can find it here, under Board Support Package. There are probably a couple of non-critical pathes by Onyx, maybe the same they made for the BOOX60 tree, but I actually managed to compile the g_serial module without them. But in the long run, yes, we should ask them to hand out the complete tree.
The M92 uses the i.MX508 processor, the M90 uses the i.MX31 (like the A60). The Boox60 kernel will be the best match but it does not contain the drivers for the IR sensor and other M90 specific hardware.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Asked Mike Hu at Onyx International for the drivers. Waiting for a reply.

Edit: The email message failed to deliver. Maybe the address is no longer valid.

Koudijs, could you take a look at this page: https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk. It says the directory imx31 contains the complete "toolchain" for the M90. Does it mean it contains the drivers?

Looks like http://opensource.onyx-international.com/ has been updated today with the zip file boox-opensource-20120205.zip

Last edited by BCotton; 02-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
Asked Mike Hu at Onyx International for the drivers. Waiting for a reply.

Edit: The email message failed to deliver. Maybe the address is no longer valid.
Thanks for giving it a try, it looks like he has an active account: MikeOnyx, maybe a PM works.

Quote:
Koudijs, could you take a look at this page: https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk. It says the directory imx31 contains the complete "toolchain" for the M90. Does it mean it contains the drivers?
This contains the tools required to build the kernel, it doesn't contain the drivers

Quote:
Looks like http://opensource.onyx-international.com/ has been updated today with the zip file boox-opensource-20120205.zip
This is a snapshot of the boox-opensource repository on github.

Last edited by Koudijs; 02-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
BCotton
Connoisseur

Thank you Koudijs! PM'd MikeOnyx. Also contacted support at Onyx-Boox.com.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
jmss70
jmss70 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Hi. I'm a experimented programmer and bought the M90 as a e-book, and in order to develop on it. I'm very disappointed with Onyx behaviour ...

I would like to develop some apps for education in the M90, but I'm thinking that I'll spend my time in other works.

Thanks.
jmss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmss70 View Post
I'm very disappointed with Onyx behaviour ...
What behaviour exactly?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
jmss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
What behaviour exactly?
Release a device with a buggy software and six months after left the device without updates (last update is from September). The SDK is not available ... I have a reader that almost work ... and nothing about the reasons that made me bought it: long term updates, development, ...

And no words about replacement, but with a small price, for example.

I'm dissapointed with how Onyx treat the M90 buyers.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
jmss70

BTW, I have looked for the SDK for MX31, but just found the toolchain. Have I missed something or really the SDK is not available? Just as MX508. The README say that each processor has its own SDK.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
BCotton
Connoisseur

There are instructions on how to build the SDK: https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk. As for the firmware, it looks like the M90 now ships with newer firmware that has not been made available for download. Maybe the hardware is different?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
BCotton
Connoisseur

I am disappointed too. Onyx people on github did not reply to my emails. They have moved on to their new Android tablet.

Jmss70, what kind of educational app do you want to develop?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
jmss70

I was thinking on apps for evaluation purpose (attendance, home work, classroom work, and summary of that information ...) and taking notes for reference about evolution of work.

But it's a long term personal project. I have another priorities (two months ago I defended my doctoral thesis, for example XD).

I will try to implement it on Android ... I haven't SDK for the M90.