Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Focused
Focused began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Exclamation Export truncates filename to 126 chars

Hi there,

I know this subject as already been mentionned, but this feature is quite annoying.
Whatever is the destination path (C:\tmp\ or C:\this is my long directory\with a subdir\and another one\my books type\), the filename is shorted to 126 chars.

I've added some custom fields in calibre (universe, type) and I want all these fields in my filename when I export.

I didn't export my book for a long time (probably at least 1 year), so I noticed that yesterday and can't say if it's due to an upgrade of calibre (5.x ? use of python 3 ?) or windows (10 21H1). I think it didn't happen previously (calibre 4.x and win10).

Is there a way to add a parameter (export preference ?) to choose the max size of a filename ?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The max size of a path is 256 characters. There is no 126 character limit anywhere. And no you cant remove the limit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The max size of a path is 256 characters. There is no 126 character limit anywhere. And no you cant remove the limit.
I know that, but whatever is my path (I gave examples), the exported filename is limited to 126 chars, 63 from the begining and 63 from the end.

Example:
  • Title: La dame en blanc aux yeux de cendres
  • Serie: La Guerre du Chaos [2]
  • Universe: LanceDragon [61]
  • Authors: Baker, Linda P. & Berberick, Nancy Varian
  • Genre: Fantasy.High fantasy

Export mask:
Code:
{author_sort:re(&,-)}-{#univers:|[| }{#univers_index:0>2s| |]}{series:|[| }{series_index:0>3s| |]}{title}[{#genre:subitems(0,1)}]
Exported to c:\temp\ => Baker, Linda P. - Berberick, Nancy Varian-[LanceDragon 61][La rre du Chaos 002]La dame en blanc aux yeux de cendres[Fantasy].epub
Exported to E:\01 - Ebooks\my_tests\My long directory\and its subdir\=> Baker, Linda P. - Berberick, Nancy Varian-[LanceDragon 61][La rre du Chaos 002]La dame en blanc aux yeux de cendres[Fantasy].epub

You can see the filenames are exactly the same, whatever the export directory is.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Focused

Sorry, I can't edit my post, I forget an important thing, the expected filename:
Baker, Linda P. - Berberick, Nancy Varian-[LanceDragon 61][La Guerre du Chaos 002]La dame en blanc aux yeux de cendres[Fantasy] (128 chars)
The split is Baker, Linda P. - Berberick, Nancy Varian-[LanceDragon 61][La (63 chars) and rre du Chaos 002]La dame en blanc aux yeux de cendres[Fantasy] (63 chars too), missing the "Gue" in the middle.

And I tested with Calibre 4.23, same occures.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
If it's any help, there was an issue with Microsoft Windows 10 when the 1903 update was applied and the maximum filename or filepath length for some functions was decreased to 126 characters.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If it's any help, there was an issue with Microsoft Windows 10 when the 1903 update was applied and the maximum filename or filepath length for some functions was decreased to 126 characters.
Which can explain I didn't notice that before, because I've wait a lot before updating Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Yep

Tags
exporting files, truncated