Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Lunaaa
Lunaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition
eReader for PDFs

Hi
I’m looking for an e-ink reader. I’m mainly going to read academic PDF files and PDF books, but also EPUB files. This is what I need:

• Reading PDF files should not be a problem (therefore the screen should be large, I’m not sure as to what is the minimal size recommended, some say 8 inches is just enough to read a full sized PDF (I don’t really want to read in landscape mode unless it works really well). Unfortunately the 10 and 13 inches devices cost too much.

• The device supports a folder structure (I just want to copy my books that I have sorted in folders on my PC and I want them to appear just like that, so keeping my folder structure with subfolders.)

• This one is important: When I make notes or highlight something in a PDF file on the eReader, that specific note or highlight should be attached to the PDF directly, so when I then copy the PDF back to my PC, the notes and highlights should be there as well. Vice versa it should be the same: So when I highlight something or attach a note in a PDF file on a PC and then copy that file to the eReader, the specific text should be highlighted and the note should be there as well.

• I also want to read EPUB files.

• It should support a stylus, so highlighting text is easier.

• My budget is around 200 USD

I was thinking about the Pocketbook inkpad 3, since I’ve heard it’s quite good for PDF files. However, I’m not sure if it meets the other requirements. If anyone has that eReader, it would be nice if they could check if it does everything I want.

I could also buy one of the 10 or 13 inch devices, if I find a used one. But I don’t know much about them.

What do you think? I don't want to buy a tablet though, although I know it would be probably better for PDFs, but I just can't focus on these kind of screens.

I used to have a Kobo Aura H2O, but don't even remember why I sold it
Lunaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Addict
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
For $200 you're going to have a tough time finding an eInk device to do this. The Inkpad 3 doesn't support styluses other than those cheapo rubber dome capactive ones that mimic a finger touch. If you're just highlighting that might be okay but they suck for writing.

How well you can read a full page PDF on an 8" screen depends on your eyesight. I can, I'm fine with tiny text and the screen is sharp enough to do it. If you have trouble with small text though you probably won't have a good time.

I have the 7.8" Boox Nova 2 and 10.3" Note Air. Both hit all your requirements but are outside your price range. Boyue Likebook has similar models that are a bit cheaper but still above your budget and they discontinued their 7.8" eReader with stylus support. The only ones I know of at the moment are the Boox Nova 3 and Supernote A6X and they are north of $300.

Some companies to take a look at are Boox, Boyue Likebook, Remarkable, Supernote and Kobo. I think you'll struggle to find anything new at $200 as that's even a tough price to get something with a pen included with an LCD tablet.
salamanderjuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
How well you can read a full page PDF on an 8" screen depends on your eyesight. I can, I'm fine with tiny text and the screen is sharp enough to do it.
You need to hold the 7.8-inch device closer to your eyes, then you will see completely the same.
10.3 inches has the same number of pixels as 7.8 inches, namely 1872*1404 pixels.

I have both, use 10.3 only when I need to use the device out of reach - then with remote control.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote