Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post

This would basically save a user from having to use a mouse to navigate the submenu for cover vs. metadata only download. Just hit ctrl-d, tab to your selection, hit enter.
Done .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #62
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This only happens on linux, I've added a workaround ensuring the cover is always rendered on top of the selection rect on linux.
It also happens in my Vista setup - Link

Dan
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #63
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Hmm I cannot reproduce this. Please keep any eye out and see if you can spot what causes the preference to rest to default.
Picking any book at random, clicking the settings button adjacent to Download Metadata, I select e.g. just Author (actually any combination will do) click Apply, then click the setting button again and 4 out of 5 times it will alter the combination of Global Selections. Even if I go Next then Previous, the settings will change from the initial selection I make.

The same applies to the plugin settings.

Dan
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #64
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
0.7.56 introduces a new feature for 0.8 that I've been working on for over a month now. There is a new toolbar action called "Get Books." Under preferences, Plugins, they're in Store plugins.

As the names suggest this feature bring store integration to calibre. For the 0.8 release I've included 14 different stores. They are a mix of big box, independent, public domain and free sources. The idea behind this feature is to allow users to easily acquire new books.

The integration varies with the majority of them being the source's website in an embedded browser. Unfortunately most of them don't allow for more integration.

Using the embedded browser allows me to detect ebook downloads. When an ebook is selected to download it will be downloaded using calibre's job system and automatically added to the current library. A tag with the store name is added to the library entry.

Each store plugin can be customized. Right now the tags added to downloaded books can be modified. Also, if you don't want the store's opening in the the embedded browser you can select to have them opened in the system's default web browser.

The big feature of the store integration is search. Every store supported by calibre is supported by the store search dialog. The search dialog returns a number of common information: cover, title, author, price, store. I plan to extend this to also include DRM status and formats before the 0.8 release.

I do not plan on adding any new store before the 0.8 release. However, once 0.8 is out I will be taking requests for other stores. Kovid has also put me in charge of the store code in case anyone wants to implement their own store plugins.

Kovid and I have come to an agreement regarding the store integration. This will extend to anyone else. Affiliate programs are allowed to be used. About half of the store's in I've added use affiliate urls (most of the pay ones). The distribution is 70% to the plugin author / maintainer and 30% to the calibre project (distributed to Kovid).

One thing I want to make clear this feature is designed for users. The goal is to make it easier for people to get books into calibre. That will be taken into consideration above all before any new stores are accepted.

Also, as I said that 70% of revenue goes to the author / maintainer. If someone creates a store and doesn't want to maintain it (shouldn't be much maintenance) then I will change the affiliate url to someone who is willing to put in the work. With this feature I hope that it is useful and helpful for calibre users. I also hope that these initial stores will allow me to generate enough income to work on calibre full time. New store plugins will be accepted on a first come first serve basis and I will not prevent anyone from making money on this feature aside from the above usefulness consideration. For example a store that doesn't implement search will be automatically denied.

I would love to get input on this feature. From a technical, usable, general standpoint. Let me know what works, what doesn't, what need to be changed.
I just read this three times and I still haven't a clue what you just said.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #65
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I just read this three times and I still haven't a clue what you just said.

My translation - you can now from within Calibre search for books to buy/download from a bunch of internet stores. So rather than searching through your internet browser - do it via Calibre and if you end up buying a couple of the developers will make some affiliate cash to help support their development in Calibre. I believe it will in many cases also put the downloaded book straight into your Calibre library for you.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #66
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
It also happens in my Vista setup - Link

Dan
OK, I'll add the redraw for all OSes.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #67
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
Picking any book at random, clicking the settings button adjacent to Download Metadata, I select e.g. just Author (actually any combination will do) click Apply, then click the setting button again and 4 out of 5 times it will alter the combination of Global Selections. Even if I go Next then Previous, the settings will change from the initial selection I make.

The same applies to the plugin settings.

Dan

I think I know what's happening. By default when the dialog open Apply is grayed out and the restore defaults but is focused, so if you press enter/spacebar accidentally the default are restored. To confirm I'll fix the dialog to have the cancel button focused by default.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
This only happens on linux, I've added a workaround ensuring the cover is always rendered on top of the selection rect on linux.
I was having this issue on XP.
The current cover was Blueish overlay. The description was clean text.
I had to click another cover to see what the current one looked like.
Note: I was doing a Metadata update , so I already had a current cover.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #69
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

My translation - you can now from within Calibre search for books to buy/download from a bunch of internet stores. So rather than searching through your internet browser - do it via Calibre and if you end up buying a couple of the developers will make some affiliate cash to help support their development in Calibre. I believe it will in many cases also put the downloaded book straight into your Calibre library for you.
So for those stores with drm'ed books, I assume it will be putting the drm version in Calibre? How will that work if say a user has the drm removing plugins installed (not saying I do or anything)?

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #70
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

Must be a good translation; I understood it! Thanks!

Now I'm curious if Calibre will be able to tell one if a book is DRM infested or not?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #71
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
First, it would be great to have search refined a little.
Kovid gave me a hint on this. I've added boolean and location specific search parameters. It's exactly the same as in the main GUI search but limited to fields showin in the store search. So you can do things like:

Code:
author:"george" and author:martin a game store:amazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The store plugin is handy as well. However, I do get an error there. It looks like it's only ManyBooks that gives the error:
You're using a proxy, Thank You!!! I wasn't able to test this adequately. I've pushed a fix for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Now I'm curious if Calibre will be able to tell one if a book is DRM infested or not?
Right now no, but I plan to add this before the 0.8 release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #72
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I only got a chance to play with this this afternoon, but so far

A few things I noticed that might be useful to new users (not all about this version, but might be worth touching on while you're under the hood... ):
  • Rename "Tag Browser" to "Category Browser," since it includes categories other than tags.
  • Define "Identifiers" - maybe in the status bar on mouse over or in the manual.
  • Have the help button go to the main help page instead of the big manual, so they see the links to all help resources (Manual, FAQ/Videos, here...), some which don't appear or aren't as obvious from within the big manual it links to.
  • For the ebook format links in the Book Descriptions pane , change the tooltip to let them know clicking will open the book in that format, in calibre or other associated reader.
  • Allow enlarging text of book description in Book Details pane without increasing book description font via html in metadata. Either use the user-selected general interface font or a separately-chosen option.
  • (Flagged under "For the really lazy" )Is there a way we can populate the "restrict to" button with "authors", "tags", "titles", "series"? So we don't have to open the advanced search or type in the x: filter.
  • In the new "Configure Metadata Download" interface:

• Maybe call the right pane options the "default downloaded metadata," and in the box where they configure individual sources, explain that they can use the "default" list or use this box to use special settings by source.
    • Consider adding "series info" - I doubt you can get it as a separate option (though I wish we could), but "tags and series info" would be ok.

Damn, that's a long list. I hated to post a stream of posts, but would it be easier to handle/answer/check off things that way? If so, I can chop this into bits...

Last edited by Piper_; 04-18-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #73
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I can't get the "get books function" to work.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #74
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald:

Right now no, but I plan to add this before the 0.8 release.
Now that would be huge!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #75
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
I think I know what's happening. By default when the dialog open Apply is grayed out and the restore defaults but is focused, so if you press enter/spacebar accidentally the default are restored. To confirm I'll fix the dialog to have the cancel button focused by default.
OK, understood the logic behind that.

In my case (including a test just now) All I did was select Edit metadata (press E) then Clicked the settings button.

All the Global options were already selected with the exception of Title. I clicked Authors to deselect it. Clicked apply. The Page closes so clicked settings once more and the Authors is now selected again.
There was no use of the keyboard at all.

I can reproduce this at will.

BTW, this development pace, and the involvement of so many people in feedback which is responded to directly is amazing.