Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
mnns
mnns began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-600 memory effect/burn-in

Hi, just bought my first e-reader on a visit to the USA, a PRS-600. I was pretty happy with it, but fairly quickly started to notice that the screen is exhibiting a memory effect : when the reader is off, text and pictures still show in some parts of the screen, albeit very faintly. When the reader is on, some of the text/images from a previous screen remain slightly visible in the next. It's not enough to really interfere with reading, but it's just something that shouldn't be there.

I couldn't find anything on this here or elsewhere on the web but I'm sure somebody would know if this means going back to the place I bought it (not easy, that was in Boston, I live in The Netherlands) to get it exchanged or if there's another remedy. Already running the latest firmware - 1.0.01.08040 - but haven't tried a reset yet.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.
mnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
What you see is completely normal. The effect is called 'ghosting' and is not burned into the screen. The ghosting is more noticable if the text or picture is very dark. You can leave the screen turned on and you will have no ill effects.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
mnns
mnns began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Wow, thanks for the quick response ! I wasn't aware this was normal (obviously), but after a little more digging I found a couple of reviews mentioning ghosting. Oh well, as I said, it doesn't interfere with reading so I can live with it. Thanks again !
mnns is offline   Reply With Quote